Skip navigation

1990 Gti Cabby Restro

Back to the top

Mid life crisis project!!

Hi all,

Newbie to all this so bare with me!! ( its took me an hour to post a picture!!!)

So, I'm 38 and I've always loved the Mk1 Gti convertible, probably because when I passed my test I was of that age that I could only dream of owning one or insuring one!!

My wife the gem that she is said that she would buy me one for my 40th! (but she said it when I was 38, big mistake!!!) get your purse out sweetheart!!!!!

I had some time on my hands (in a hospital bed) and came across a 1990 Gti convertible in Helios blue with 98k on the clock and an absolute bucket load of history! Really solid body with only a little rust on the passenger door, a great interior and a hood that's like new! and I gave £900, I think that's good money?? You guys??

The plan is to make he look like new so me and my family can enjoy a weekend drive in the summer and turn some heads! not to bothered about it going super quick, just want it to look the bees knees and run like a gem!

So I started back in August trying to fit the work in around work and family life, and also not trying to let it take over my life!! just trying to keep the restoration relaxed with no time frame etc,

I am a bit of a picky bloke though and do let things get carried away with me! so lets go!!!!

I've started so I'll finish!!!!!

2013-08-27 17.47.39.jpg 2013-08-27 17.47.51.jpg 2013-08-27 17.48.30.jpg 2013-08-27 10.54.25.jpg 2013-08-27 19.53.14.jpg 2013-08-27 19.53.34.jpg

Back to the top
Got it up on the axle stands, as the under side is where I'm starting!

2013-08-31 18.33.33.jpg 2013-08-31 18.28.23.jpg 2013-08-31 19.41.15.jpg 2013-08-31 19.44.23.jpg 2013-08-31 19.44.41.jpg

Back to the top
Looks tidy and seems a great price you paid, also looks like some one has changed the filler neck as the rubber hose and jubilee clips look newish just keep an eye on the filler neck for rust and holes at the top as dirt and water is the last thing you want in the fuel system as its a right pain to get it all clean.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Good spot! The filler neck has been changed but...... the last owner converted a tin top neck so I'm on the look out for a new cabby one!!! plus I've found a petrol leak from the tank so I'm replacing that as its got a rust hole!

I don't wont any fuel 'n rust issues!  2013-09-01 17.48.26.jpg

Back to the top
You've got the rear beam off already working hard at it then… I expect the last owner changed the filler neck for a tin top neck as they are a lot cheaper then the cabriolet one, when I replaced mine I painted it in epoxy mastic then stone chip paint then to finish Hammerite, I clean and wash around the top every spring and autum and then waxoyl  it every year just so it will last but I do use my car as a daily drive.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting

Back to the top
Thanks for that, never actually seen one rust before? is it at the very top then? near the cap it's self?

The rear beam is off along with the tank and all the rear suspension, only found two spots of rust on the rear valance so far.

I was just going to give the underside a good clean but decided now to strip it to bare metal, galv primer it and then dinitrol it!, not the easiest job but what the hell!!!!

1266.jpg 1267.jpg 1281.jpg

Back to the top

Last edit: by leesuper13

Back to the top
Wow great work Lee, you're getting stuck in ;)

Looks a bargain for £900 if you ask me - and what a very nice wife you have  :cool:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Looks good mate a bargain for 900 :)

Your car could be Fathammer 's  twin with a change of wheels :)

How far you gonna go with the resto ?

Scott

South West Regional Host

Previous;
1991 Clipper, 1978 S1 GLS, 1983 Type25, 1989 Clipper GTI

Current;
Zero, zilch, nought, zero, nothing….

Banner

Back to the top
The filler necks rust at the top near the cap, just stick your hand up there and feel all the mud stuck on top of the filler neck it's a great mud trap up there.

Back to the top
Nice work been working on my cab for 8 months nice too see someone getting stuck in ,all the best.  Martin.

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

Looks a bargain for £900 if you ask me - and what a very nice wife you have  :cool:

Yes I do!!! and shes not givin me grief for spending cash on it either??? She either loves me… or the car!!!

:$

Back to the top

Marts v dub said

Nice work been working on my cab for 8 months nice too see someone getting stuck in ,all the best.  Martin.

Hi Mark,

Getting stuck in is a good way to put it! trying is another!!

I'd love to see pics of what you've done 8 months in, it would give me hope!!!!

Back to the top
A little tip to keep your wife even happier… get a wind defector/screen and your wife will love the car even more in the summer as it does not mess up their hair, my wife hated having the roof down till I bought one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-Golf-Cabriolet-Mk1-CONVERTIBLE-WIND-DEFLECTOR-wind-stop-screen-Bodi-M-/190588236479?pt=DE_Autoteile&hash=item2c5ff1b2bf
I brought the Bodi M style as you can still put stuff on the back seat if needed and now I have a child seat in there so don't need to remove the car seat to use the screen but my 2 year old will not fit in there with the screen up as it touches the car seat.

Last edit: by mark1gls

Back to the top

arf333 said

Looks good mate a bargain for 900

Your car could be Fathammer 's  twin with a change of wheels

How far you gonna go with the resto ?

Scott
Hi Scott!

My original idea was to just get one and give it a bit of spit and polish but as you know one things lead to another, and it all gets out of hand!!!

I'm in no rush to get the car finished (although I'd love it for the summer!!) so the plan is…

fully strip and reseal the underside, complete new brakes front, back and pipes. New suspension and all new bushes, new stainless bolts where I can.

Refurb as many parts as I can and powder coat them -axle, hubs etc, just bought some Rivarge wheels which will go for a refurb then I'm going to sit it back down!

After that I plan to strip and prep the exterior ready for a fresh coat of paint, and also the interior so I can make as much as I can look as good as new!

Then I plan to make sure it starts and stops (and possibly do a little driving!) before I take out the lump and gear box to get them cleaned up and give them a bit of a refresh.

I'm looking for an original - improved finish, something that I can enjoy, stand back and admire!

Not to blingy, and not to fast! just like the ideal women really, a good looking head turner but not to chavy!!    

Back to the top

mark1gls said

A little tip to keep your wife even happier… get a wind defector/screen and your wife will love the car even more in the summer as it does not mess up their hair, my wife hated having the roof down till I bought one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-Golf-Cabriolet-Mk1-CONVERTIBLE-WIND-DEFLECTOR-wind-stop-screen-Bodi-M-/190588236479?pt=DE_Autoteile&hash=item2c5ff1b2bf
I brought the Bodi M style as you can still put stuff on the back seat if needed and now I have a child seat in there so don't need to remove the car seat to use the screen but my 2 year old will not fit in there with the screen up as it touches the car seat.

Right then…. when Lyla ( my name for her ) is back on the road I'll get one bought!!! sounds like a winner, a nice drive and a quiet wife!!!

Back to the top

leesuper13 said

Hairyarse said

Yes I do!!! and shes not givin me grief for spending cash on it either??? She either loves me… or the car!!!

:$

Doesn't matter which - as long as you own the car  :cool:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
 :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Nice looking car, looks good on the p-slots  :thumbs:

Matt

Back to the top
Few more pics.. everything fuel tank back has now been striped and sealed with Dinitrol & now started stripping the old underseal off the rest of the underside.

Also made a repair piece to sort out a rust patch on the rear valance,

God stripping this stuff off is no holiday!!!

2013-10-06 18.40.19.jpg

2013-10-06 18.41.41.jpg 2013-10-11 20.15.07.jpg
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.