Skip navigation

Non-chavy looking radio?

Back to the top

Mrs Choc Rolls Stock!

Back to the top

jellybelly said

your a genius thanks!!

Back to the top
Anyone know how i can make the radio fit more snugly? i will fashion something to support it at the back but is there any for of surround i can use to make it sit with the dash face better? cheers

'83 1.3 Golf Driver GT - Project thread
Instagram - matt.semp

Back to the top
I know what you mean, all stereos on the market look like space pasties. All swooshy, silver and neon like a twatty sports shoe.

I looked for ages, into retro, old stock, and converted units… I settled on a blaupunkt, as it came with a blaupunkt brand unit from factory.

It's called a 'blaupunk madrid', has a nice square styling that suits the rectangular mk1 dash.

Looks better in the car than any of these pics though tbh.

That one on ebay you got looks sweet, get some pics up of it installed!

As for wobbly / non snug fitment…  there seems to be a lack of support for head units in a mk1 dash. If you find a solution, share it!

Last edit: by Mogs

Back to the top

mazza411 said

Anyone know how i can make the radio fit more snugly? i will fashion something to support it at the back but is there any for of surround i can use to make it sit with the dash face better? cheers

I was struggling for a long time to get mine to fit nice and tight

I'm having the dash out I a week or two ill take some pictures of how I did it

Banner

Back to the top
Early blaupunkts are smaller than the DIN size and don't use a cage, instead they have a sandwich plate that sits behind the plastic fascia.

You need to remove the tuning/volume dial knobs, remove the plastic fascia and then there should be a metal plate that is just bigger than the DIN slot with holes for the dial stalks and screen. This and the main unit go into the dash then position it against the back of the Radio aperature and refit the fascia and dials to the outside.

The pic below is of an original early Mk2 Blaupunkt, you can see the plate behind the plastic face:

Mk1 Golf floor mats - for tin top and cabriolet - Zero7796 17298Five

Back to the top

jellybelly said

mazza411 said

I was struggling for a long time to get mine to fit nice and tight

I'm having the dash out I a week or two ill take some pictures of how I did it

If you could that would be very much appreciated! cheers

Instagram - matt.semp

Back to the top

GavB95 said

Early blaupunkts are smaller than the DIN size and don't use a cage, instead they have a sandwich plate that sits behind the plastic fascia.

You need to remove the tuning/volume dial knobs, remove the plastic fascia and then there should be a metal plate that is just bigger than the DIN slot with holes for the dial stalks and screen. This and the main unit go into the dash then position it against the back of the Radio aperature and refit the fascia and dials to the outside.

The pic below is of an original early Mk2 Blaupunkt, you can see the plate behind the plastic face:

(if i has worked) I dont have this plate, would it be something i can fit?

Last edit: by mazza411

Instagram - matt.semp

Back to the top
That's the same system as my radio uses. Works pretty well, but mine doesn't fit perfectly because the edges are round. 

I would make up a sandwich plate, just make sure the material you use is sturdy enough. 

Back to the top
I made this using 2mm black plasticard trimmed to the same shape as the face 

Worked a treat

Banner

Back to the top
The Clarion cz509eg it shines green that's not a bad match to your interior lights… The surround is satin black and it has satin section good power output very subtuble and all you mod cons… The amount of people who say what a retro good looking head unit it is… Honesty my brother has it in his caddy it's the proper job!!!
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.