Skip navigation

Mk1 golf gti 1983 indicators not working but hazzaerds are???

Back to the top

mk1 golf indicators not working

Hi

i have been searching the net for days now on and off i have found a few posts but nothing that helped me.

right my hazzrads work with and without the ignition on
the indicator stalk with ignition off makes the side lights come on to both the left & right when you make it
but when i put the ignition on i get no indicators?? i have checked voltage in to the stalks to be honist im just very confused lol
hope some one on here could help me or piont me in the right direction

thanks

tom

Back to the top
First check fuse 19 with the ignition on if it is good, if in doubt change it, then with a test lamp check the black/blue cable at the hazard switch if ok then the hazard switch is probably u/s if not check back of fuse box plug A pin 13. if ok damaged cable between fuse board and hazard switch, if not possible u/s fuse board.

Back to the top
(back of fuse box plug A pin 13)  were is this the manual has no picture

Back to the top
See here should also be black/blue

Jon

Back to the top
Thank you very much i shall have a look and let you no many thanks again

Back to the top
I had the same problem and on the back of the hazard warning light switch there is a single wire that has a very small female connector on it I think it was brown, it had come off the switch, I reconnected it and bingo all indicators were working ok, if i wanted to get them working prior to connecting the wire I was able to do so by moving hazard warning light switch halfway between on and off then the indicators would work, they would not work with the hazard warning light switch fully turned off, so I hope this fixes it for you

Back to the top
THANKS it was exactly that good to have other people to share problems thanks again to you both hopefully i get it on the road this year!

Back to the top
Digging up this old thread. Have a  similar problem. When I put the hazard switch halfway I am able to signal a turn. However the brown/red solo wire at the back of the switch is attached. 

ReinoutMK1
1983 Golf 1  GTI  1.8 16v

Restoration topic
Resto on Instagram
Personal Instagram

Back to the top
Check your fuses there are 2 one for the turns one for the hazards, if the fuses are good replace your hazard switch.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
if its ce1 type fusebox fuse 4 for hazard switch live feed, and 19 for ignition feed.

if its ceramic fusebox pin 8 for the ignition, 6 for live.

check wires too as said its black/blue goes to pin 15 on the hazard switch for ignition, live feed is red/white to pin 30.

be careful pulling the switch, they love to explode everywhere

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Thank you for the advice. I noticed my interior light and MFA was malfunctioning. Seems that the fuse was on a different slot as well. Fixed the issue. 

ReinoutMK1
1983 Golf 1  GTI  1.8 16v

Restoration topic
Resto on Instagram
Personal Instagram

Back to the top
Hi guys
i have a similar problem. iv got no indicators at all the hazards wasn't working but I changed the switch and they now work but I'm still not getting indicators. checked the fuse and it's fine the side lights left and right come on with no ignition so the stork is working. 
Please help!! 

Cheers 

Back to the top
the parking lights are fed from a different pin on the stalk so its possible its still faulty, but usually 1 side goes first.

check you have ignition live to the blue/black wire on the hazard switch pin 15 next :)

Back to the top
Thanks for the reply rubjonny I did have just the right indicators working at 1 point but stopped all together now. I've tested the wires going to the back of the stork and there is power going to it. Also I've cleaned and checked all connections at the back of the hazard switch there all good as far as I can see. This all started when the temp gauge started playing up was flashing red and saying it was over heating but wasn't.. 
thanks again… 

Back to the top
check the main fusebox earth maybe, its the brown one on the white plug on the back. it should go to the white 4 way earth block on the headlight loom fat brown, you'll see what I mean. make sure all the connection are clean

Back to the top
Will do thanks a lot will let you know how I get on 
Cheers 

Back to the top
Hoping i can pick the communal brains on this topic.

I have an '83 1.1 Formel E golf.  Ceramic 15- fuse fusebox.

The hazards all work on the switch and with the ignition off, the indicator stalk lights up each indicator and leaves it on, not flashing, until switched off again. With the ignition switched on, the hazards still work fine but using the indicator switch causes each side to flash at double speed.

All bulbs working.
Tried a second (used) flasher relay.
Tested the black/blue wire at the hazard switch with the ignition on, test lamp lights up.
Tested fuses 6 and 8 with the test lamp and ignition on, replaced them just to be sure.  Gave them a wiggle to make sure they were seated properly.

Am I looking at a new hazard switch? New column stalk?

All help appreciated.  Thanks in advance

Back to the top
Clean the ground connections of your lamps…fast blink is a sign that a bulb thinks it is burned out and the flasher doesn't have the correct resistance..

They can corrode really easily, and if not cleaned will cause a similar issue…..  

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Thanks Brian.  I'll do that again but i think they're ok. It was my first thought tbh and I tested each lamp for continuity from the bulb body back to the battery.  
But no harm doing it again to be thorough.

Back to the top
hmm so indicators try to work even with hazard switch off? this does sound liek a switch issue, either that or wiring problem to the switch. unplug the hazard switch, do the indicators still try to work?

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.