Skip navigation

Mk1 vr6 servo and MC upgrade?

Back to the top

Mk1 vr6 servo and MC upgrade?

Hi!

Would I need to change both the servo and MC on my vr6 conversion or is it possible to just change the MC as it is originally the mk1 gti?

Any suggestions would be great,thanks!

Back to the top
change both, pretty sure the mc fitment is different mk1 and mk2? the mk2 servo is bigger too

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top

rubjonny said

change both, pretty sure the mc fitment is different mk1 and mk2? the mk2 servo is bigger too

Thanks mate!

Back to the top

rubjonny said

Hi mate,

Im watching both of these servos on ebay,woul any one of them be suitable?
Item no:

&

Thanks!

Back to the top
1st one would do you fine, 2nd one will be 7" if its from a driver so skip that

Back to the top

rubjonny said

1st one would do you fine, 2nd one will be 7" if its from a driver so skip that

Thanks mate. Its on £31 at the moment with 7 hours to go and £14 postage,prob will end up on like £60 incl postage if not more? This seems a bit much or is it just me?! :dontknow:

Back to the top
yeah is a bit steep, id keep looking if it gets above 40. any mk2 1.8 has the 9" servo you're after, you can even modify mk3 servo to fit by cutting pin off and tappign a thread in to it. easier to get mk3 servos in good nick too. master cylinder are cheap new as well

Back to the top

rubjonny said

yeah is a bit steep, id keep looking if it gets above 40. any mk2 1.8 has the 9" servo you're after, you can even modify mk3 servo to fit by cutting pin off and tappign a thread in
to it. easier to get mk3 servos in good nick too. master cylinder are cheap new as well

Might have a look at a mk3 one then…keep my options open!

Back to the top
Would this work?

Ebay item no: 180958066353

Thanks!

Back to the top
looks perfect :)

Back to the top
Brilliant cheers mate!

Back to the top
Right so I bought this servo, MK3 GTI 16v but noticed the back end is a bit different, will this servo be suitable?

Back to the top
Well it will once you have cut the pin off on the left and tapped a suitable thread on it to screw the mk1 fitting on to.

Never tried the Mk3 route myself - I would imagine that there will be a bit of trial and error to get the mk1 fitting in the correct position - if you get it wrong the brakes will bind on from the servo pressure of be really crap because you have to much slack before the master cylinder is operated.

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
yah what you do is measure your old servo first, tap the mk3 one so its the same. the only critical part of it is so that when the mk1 clevis pin is threaded on fully, the hole in the end of it is the same distance to the back of the servo. even then you have a fair bit of adjustment on the cross linkage to get it exactly right so its not like it has to be mm perfect

Back to the top
Cheers guys,I se theres a mk2 one for sale in the running gear section,wouldnt it just be easier to get this one,would that just fit straight on?

Back to the top
yah, just cut thread down so its same as mk1 and swap clevis over. keep the mk3 master cylinder and bottle tho

Back to the top
ive done the mk3 16v mc and servo swap as it was all i could find in the scrappy at the time.

i found that if you cut the end off on the line where it starts to taper its the perfect length

the main problem is cutting the thread as the rod diameter is way too big and will need grinding down to a shoulder

i have the one i converted spare as i ended up using the mk2 16v servo as this has four studs on the back and not 2 like the mk3 one if your intrested £50 +p&p for mc and servo ready to fit will even throw in the brake pipe tees you will need

also the mk3 uses a 23mm alloy master cylinder but this only has 2 outlets and they are 12mm thread however a 25mm mc from a van fits straight on and has four 10mm outlets. ive just fitted one and it reduces pedal travel alot

Back to the top

sporttrucker said

ive done the mk3 16v mc and servo swap as it was all i could find in the scrappy at the time.

i found that if you cut the end off on the line where it starts to taper its the perfect length

the main problem is cutting the thread as the rod diameter is way too big and will need grinding down to a shoulder

i have the one i converted spare as i ended up using the mk2 16v servo as this has four studs on the back and not 2 like the mk3 one if your intrested £50 +p&p for mc and servo ready to fit will even throw in the brake pipe tees you will need

also the mk3 uses a 23mm alloy master cylinder but this only has 2 outlets and they are 12mm thread however a 25mm mc from a van fits straight on and has four 10mm outlets. ive just fitted one and it reduces pedal travel alot

Thanks mate,so will this spare one of yours go straight on and work or would I have to do some mods?

Back to the top
yes will go straight on and it works very well gave my mk1 very possitive feeling brakes  the only thing is it will need the brake lines plumbed in i had to have a couple of 3 way adaptors to plumb in the brake light switch and so it would work with the 2 outlets but you would need to do some mods to the plumbing anyway

Back to the top
Now I thought I would have a quick look at what cam e with the car and this is what i discovered….if im not mistaken it already has a mk3 servo installed and the master cylinder to suit in the pic? Please confirm this so that I can feel like a bigger T :roll: T!!  :D

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.