Skip navigation

what started your mk1 love affair?

Back to the top

what started your mk1 love affair?

I suppose I've always loved the shape of the MK1 Golf, my first car was a MK2 Polo Coupe Sport and I loved that car to bits mainly because of its similar boxy shape. I was pretty sad to see the polo go if I'm honest even though the brakes were rubbish and the immobiliser wouldn't demobilise and had to be taken out!

Throughout the years my brother-in-law had had a couple of MK1's and inspired me to get one. When driving to college I'd seen a sorry looking old GTI sat in someone's garden that could do with some TLC.  I plucked up the courage to go and ask about it but they wanted too much money for the amount of work that it needed.

As luck would have it one of my mate's girlfriends had been given a 1984 1100cc MK1 Golf by her Aunty to learn to drive in but she hated it. She wanted to sell it on so I told her that she could probably get about £400 for it but she couldn't be bothered with the hassle so offered it to me for £50. Naturally I bit her hand off and so as of 2003 it was all mine! Lol

It was meant to be the next project for me and my dad to tackle however his health at the time wasn't good and unfortunately he passed away. TBH this kind of put me off the car for a while and so there she sat, stored away for a number of years.

About two years ago my brother-in-law bought a white 1800cc cabby which I borrowed for a drive one nice sunny day. I took her out along the coast and had never had so much attention from other drivers and passersby; even my missus was quite shocked by it all.

This reignited my passion for the little car again, and as such the project is now well underway………………………she will be running this year and be back on the road for 2013…………………………………..

Back to the top
Growing up in as I was into golfs all my life, but the more modern ones back then (mk3…. Yes I know!) and then I had chance to drive my uncle's mk Gti, gun metal grey ( you don't get that colour here) 5 door gti…. And the rest was history. Almost killed myself the first time I drove it but damn I still remember that car and thought to myself that I would get one when I could…..but a 2 door…. So when I moved  up here, it was a no brainer really!!!

One thing you don't get in as is this support network within this forum, I can guarantee there are south Africans reading this forum wishing they had the same in sa, for parts, info and generally banter.

Well done chaps…..

1980 Series 1 GTI (gone now .. what a mistake selling her!)
1979 Series 1 LD - the Mandarin Dragon … gone as well. oh dear.

Back to the top
Grew up with Golf's as the family transport and built and owned pretty much all of the group models over the past two and a bit decades. As the family started with the mk2 that used to be my favourite.
There were 3 cars that changed my mind from the mk2 to the mk1 as my fave:

The first was Jeroen Dik's 16vG60 with 300bhp, awesome car and bit of engineering (including extended front wings). Then there was also Awesome's peachy, clipper kitted mk1 and Dubsports G60 that were featured in Max Power (yes, I know, I was young).
I also grew up in-between Awesome and Dubsport so would see these all the time and looked mint in their new paint scheme's.

Hooked

Back to the top
Well for me I grew up in a place
called catford and up the road was
a vw show room .And in the middle of it
was a white GTI caby that was back in 1985
never thought Iwould own one until three years ago
when I was looking for a car and saw a 1985  1.6gl caby
which I still have  and what a buzz I get from driveing it
every day.she don't look much at the moment but shes
getting there.

B reg cab

Back to the top
When I was 15. A lot of years ago I remember coming out of the cinemas and seeing a green mk1 will a low front spoiler, was a stunning car I allways remember it when I passed my test I drove other makes of cars and one day I found a clean mk2 bought it and fell in love with vw in general great solid cars so I had 3 more mk2 golfs and one day I came across this garage selling a mk1 cabby £690 it cost me was a little rough needed some tlc. I don't think I will sell it.
I think it's a addiction.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.