Skip navigation

Philips Mk1 Jetta 1.9 TDI PD130 Project

Back to the top

Philips Mk1 Jetta 1.9 TDI PD Project

Appoligies as usual for the lack of updates, ive only really had a chance to get and update done now that over in milton keynes training with work, since im in the shed every night and i really mean…… Every night lol O_o

I got set on modifying and fitting the mk4 golf loom, starting with the tail lights, i managed to also splice the loom so that it powers both fog lamps as the mk4 only had 1 fog lamp on the rear

I was able to depin the old mk1 connector and install the mk4 cluster pins… how very OEM lol

I managed to install the vacuum conversion kit on to the turbo so the mk4 golfs vacuum solenoids will operate the turbo

List of past and present cars ive owned

1997 corsa 1.2 poop

2003 Ibiza 130 tdi hybrided to 240bhp

1991 Mk 2 jetta calypso green 1.6td

2001 MG ZT 190+ v6 in trophy blue…. Sold to my brother

2003 Golf GTI TDI 150 black leather heated recaros ;) the

Back to the top
The brake lines where next so with the brake calibers fitted, i connected the flexi's where they go and with 2 full roll's of copper piping, i made a competely fresh brake pipe system

and the gear selector into its position and bolted in

I bought a fuel filter for a 2012 Audi A4 as its an inline diesel fuel filter that only has an in and out layout only
Finding a place to put it was sorted easy, with access granted by lowering the arch lining when it comes to it

and in the spirt of keeping it legit, I fitted the mk4 screenwash level sensor, pointless but now the dash will warn me if the level is low, probably after 3-4 squirts onto the window lol

1997 corsa 1.2 poop

Back to the top
After stressing out about how the starlet steering rack would connect to the mk4 golf 130 hubs and knowing that either track rod end for both models would never work due to size and thread difference.
So I went to fyfes thinking they would just laugh there heads off, I asked would you have a track rod end that would screw on to a starlet steering rack and slide into a mk4 golf hub, they just looked confused, i then told them my situation and they asked if i had a reference to go by, i remembered hearing about the nissan bluebird having something to do with it, they then checked the measurements and the bluebird rod end had the correct measements to fit into both parts
lethal! and parts where in stock £15.60 later y0

After realising that the drivers driveshaft was fouling on the bottom arm front mount and needed to do some rethinking, i measured how much it was wanting to foul on it and figured that if the mk4 shocks where 1.5 inches shorter, they would just clear and no more, then a mate of mine said I should try fitting coilovers as a joke, he had a spare set of burst hot tuning ones for his bora, i meased them up and found that at full length, the coilver was 2 inches shorter! eureka!!!

I then bought a set of front FK coilovers and installed them

When i was happy with it, i set about fitting the fuel pump beside the fuel tank, aswell as installing the fuel return pipe, managed to also install the rear ABS wiring, pump and level sensor wiring

I also carried out a chassis notch for the P/S/F as the CV inner joint on the gearbox as fouling slightly!

1997 corsa 1.2 poop

Back to the top
Thats the door etc sealed inside aswell as cleaning the drains out, no rust found whats so ever too, but good to know there sealed

Some sound deadening installed to keep the road noise down, it needs finished and has alot more on now

In goes the Wiring behind the dashboad and some of the wiring for the engine bay

Its all starting to come together! 2 months away from paint, note the ABS pump :D O_o

Thats me for the month lol

1997 corsa 1.2 poop

Back to the top
I had my mate mike over earlier today too finish the last wee bit of welding that needed done behind the front window seals, one on the usual left unused wiper arm pivot mount, and the next on the drivers side corner, mike did a top job as usual.

Everyone wants to know when its going to be be finished and the answer is at the end of august.

Ive been to the edition 38 show 3 years now and missed out last year so it would be great to get one last blow out at the show before i move away…

Last edit: by PhilipMcTDI

1997 corsa 1.2 poop

Back to the top
Now you have a deadline mate, you've got something to work towards. Going to be great when finished. best of luck getting it finished mate.

Back to the top
Cheers matey!

1997 corsa 1.2 poop

Back to the top
Ive now installed the sound deadening completely on the firewall and floor area

More wiring modifications and heat shrinks, with my hands blistered afterwards.

installing the resistors to all the obsolute airbag connections bar the steering wheel

Dashboard is almost fitted making the brackets to hold it where they can fit.

Let there be light….. all the lights test perfect on the car, my wiring modifactions worked a treat, including the remote controlled boot release via the double click of the mk4 key fob!

One problem ive found is that the mk4 wires that connect to the hazard light switch are different to the TT switch, one having a 9 pin connector and the mk4 loom having an 8 pin connector, ive managed to connect the switch to the loom and tests show that it only works as a hazard light switch but doesnt work the indicators as its meant to because the relay for the indicators is the hazard light switch, so ive ordered a mk4 switch which should be here tomorrow to see if my cure will work

and finally a close up of the boot release mech

p.S ordered a Passat 130 manifold with an allard EGR blank pipe so we'll see how it goes ;-)

1 month until he car goes for paint……. yikes

1997 corsa 1.2 poop

Back to the top
Top work there buddy. I'd be completely cacking myself at the amount of wires there :lol:

What colour you going for when she goes to the paint shop??

Back to the top
The wirings a gift with the wiring diagrams easily got hold of! Scuba blue is the colour of choice, it's a new colour that you'll find on the black edition Audi A5/A4'! Love it and best seen in person to appreciate the colour…
Tonight I connected the mini loom I made for both mk4 and TT hazard light switches, now I've got the TT button working the hazards and secondary golf switch working the indicators and just tucked behind the dash! It's all gravy baby

1997 corsa 1.2 poop

Back to the top
Sounds great mate. Looking forward to seeing it painted. This is going to be some car when finished :)

Back to the top
Heater fans now work, it's great when I finally attempt to clear out the shed and I find stuff I was soo close to buying again on eBay because I couldn't find them!

1997 corsa 1.2 poop

Back to the top
wow!! Very talented skills... fancy doing mine ;)

Back to the top
I never plan to do this again for at least 3 years lol
The engines complete now with new seals where needed aka the crank shaft oil seal etc, new clutch kit is fitted and gearbox mated to the engine. Now it's got the passat inlet manifold so it points to the right instead of the left, also it came with the allard egr blank pipe so that was good.

I've got the solenodes for the vacuum pipe system that will operate the turbo system and a few other things. Brakes are bleed too.

The wheels are refurbed now and have tyres fitted, there 165/50/15s so it's a small stretch but stretch no less :-)
I'll get pics up later on…
12 days until it goes to the body shop

1997 corsa 1.2 poop

Back to the top
Nice work Phil, you've got a lot more patience than me!

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Haha, yes i do but im running out of time and my deadline is approaching!
Needless to say, here comes a big update

1997 corsa 1.2 poop

Back to the top
waiting in anticipation :-)

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
Here goes

I mated together the radiator and the intercooler

and now it fits perfectly into the bay and the same goes for the fan

and cleaned down the 6 speed gearbox and painted it

Abit more cleaning down of the engine so its looking fresh, the block is painted black with high temperature paint and the rest is either polished or chrome painted

I bought a new clutch kit and slave cylinder to prevent any future disapointment lol

I started refurbing the wheels with the help of a few mates as meantioned previously, acid etch primed and once set, 2 coats each on the face and basket side of the alloys for a bit of clarity

Im very please with the audi graphite black edition alloy paint mix i had made a GIVRAN in belfast. the finish was better than expected

More to follow shortly ;-)

1997 corsa 1.2 poop

Back to the top
Battery tray is now installed on the left side of the boot floor with the earth strp not to far away

and down she goes for the first time in over a year….. it was weird seeing the car so much lower to the ground

and a bit of daylight… why not, just no rain please lol

I refitted the engine so i could trial out setting up some kind of charge/boost pipe system going around and avoiding chaffing everwhere i can

There the wings, bonnet and front doors away to the body shop for abit of advanced treatment ;-)

And hours before the car was trailered away, i got on to preping the roof which ill admit to neglecting and leaving to the last few hours to even attempt

And there she is… at the body shop awaiting the skillful hands of my friend robert lol

and lastly the turbo now will fit the engine with the adaptor pipe made, just need to order the gaskets and shes good to go

Thats all for tonight folks, next update coming up in a few weeks 8-D

1997 corsa 1.2 poop

Back to the top
Forgot to mention, ive bought a mk1 golf duck bill splitter that im trying to incorporate onto the the lower front chin as it was damaged in a previous owners lack of talent, anyone seen this being done before?

1997 corsa 1.2 poop

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.