Skip navigation

Helios Blue Campaign

Back to the top

Helios Blue Campaign

Quality job. Great work :)

Back to the top

richievr said

mine will need a new back box when it's back on the road next time…. have you looked at powerflow stuff? all hand made stainless with lifetime warranty. you can decide how loud you want it, or how quiet, and pick your tailpipe and how you want it to stick out the back..

if you go to a dealer with a GOOD builder they are great, i've had one on the vr for about 8 years now.. :) thinking of getting one made up for the mk1 when back on the road again…Fortunately my local agent has a sh1thot fabricator - his systems are superb..
i've not been in a car with the jetex, but you are right, the tail pipe is far to big..

I will have to check out the PowerFlow stuff, havent seem them before. I also just emailed OMP to see if they still make the one that I mentioned earlier which I like the look of. Worth a try!

I may try my local builder like you said, I have had a ProSpeed system custom made before and it was great.

Shall keep you posted! Will have an update soon too.

Back to the top

Piers said

Quality job. Great work :)

Thanks for your kind words  :)

Back to the top
Got a bit more done this week. No further on the exhaust though, cant find one off the shelf which I deem suitable so Im going to buy a cheapo standard one for now and when I can afford it Ill get a honky custom one made up.

Anyway, heres what I did last week.

Got the accumulator and fuel pump fitted, and my new braided fuel hoses…

Also got the brake hoses fitted. I used the correct green stuff, had a bargain off ebay, £40 for a full set of pre-flared pipes all in the correct length…

Also got some the gear linkage, and heat sheild fitted…

Got the steering rack on too, with steering rack boot fitted…

And stuck on my bulkhead clutch support plate, the cable hadnt pulled through the bulkhead yet but though I would fit one before it did!!

I then moved onto fitting the gearbox to the engine as I bored of lying under the car!!

Had my flywheel lightened and balanced by HotGolf on clubgti forum. Top work, nice bloke too.

As you can see, its been on a bit of a diet!! This is a fairly mild one too, he said he could go even more than this!

I fitted this to the block with a new sachs clutch kit and then fitted the gearbox…

Also fitted the rear beam, and got the coilovers fitted on the rear with an old wetsuit cut up to stop the crud getting on my threads!

Fitted these with some new genuine top mounts.

Also got the braided flexis all mated to the rigid lines…

And got the handbrake cables fitted.

Thats about for it for now. Will hopefully have the engine in by the end of next week!!  :D

Back to the top
Doing an amazing job there fella- looks great!

Can I just ask where you got the braided fuel lines from as I am looking for exactly the same…

many thanks

Martin

Mars red Tin top 83' gti in progress

Back to the top

Drapoon said

Doing an amazing job there fella- looks great!

Can I just ask where you got the braided fuel lines from as I am looking for exactly the same…

many thanks

Martin

Cheers mate! Any wait to get her done now!!

I got my fuel lines from pirtek. They should have a branch somewhere near you. Ill be posting up the exact lengths and sizes of fittings etc that i used later when I find te piece of paper it's all written down on!

There is another thread on here somewhere which you may find useful, I think it's called 'braided fuel lines' or 'fuel lines' surprisingly! Hehe. Ill be posting up the sizes and lengths up there too.

Back to the top
Aha thanks for the heads up - just found the thread

Read your whole thread and it's a very similar build to mine. I'm going standard bar kw coilovers, fully polybushed, 2.0 AGG bottom end on pack c TSR head mated to…..an OMP exhaust  (lovely standard looking 2" pipe swept to the side as per the standard look) I have here ;-)

I've got everything bar fuel lines and carpet. Just a shame the shell is still at the bodyshop and has been since January!

That would be great if you could post up sizes etc as I ripped the fuel lines off and discarded without taking down sizes etc - foolish.

Back to the top
OMP exhaust?! Where did you get that from?? That's exactly what im looking for! I really don't want a massive tailpipe and the OMP one looks perfect!

Your car sounds like its going to be great, you got a build thread?

Ill dig out those measurements later on when I go down my unit. I can't say how accurate they are, as I've only fitted them underneath the car at the moment! We will see if they are th right length when I get the metering head in and try and connect them up! I measured them by straightening out all the old rigid lines and measuring them, then measuring the othe little braided hoses too and adding them to the length. Hopefully they will be long enough! Ha.

Back to the top
Got it 2ndhand from this very forum. Not a lot of silencing so worried it's going sound a bit too loud…
If you need pics for a custom job just let me know

Back to the top

Drapoon said

Got it 2ndhand from this very forum. Not a lot of silencing so worried it's going sound a bit too loud…
If you need pics for a custom job just let me know

Thanks! May take you up on that offer.

What im thinking is that ill just stick a standard one on for now then when Ive got enough spare cash ill take the car to my local exhaust builder and ask him to copy the standard exhaust but make it 2" all the way through, with a nice 2' stainless tailpipe in the exact same style as the original.

Back to the top
As for the fuel hoses…

For those of you who wanted measurements, here is what I used…..

Supply hose from accumulator to metering head,

m16 union (I think its m16)/ 380 cm braided hose / m14 banjo

Return hose,

Hose clip to tank / 320 cm braided hose / m12 banjo

For the other two hoses, the first being the fuel pump to accumulator hose, the second being the supply to metering head from fuel filter, I just took the original hoses into pirtek and my mate copied them. I took all the hoses in so he could copy the exact unions and banjos, hense why I said 'i think' its m16! Just take yours in and they will copy them.

Here is a pic that I found of my supply hose, fuel filter to metering head …

If your struggling to get hold of the hoses let me know and ill get you a price + postage to have some made up for you!

Back to the top
I also got a few more things bolted on today…

Steering rack and column boot, tie rod ends and steering rack boots…

Also built up the wishbones with new bushes and ball joints…

Back to the top
hi good progress did you get the top mounts recently from vw ?

Back to the top

ivortheengine said

hi good progress did you get the top mounts recently from vw ?

You mean the rear suspension top mounts? Yeah, got them from my local VW dealer a few weeks back.

Back to the top
Did you use the original brake compensator valve, if so what colour green did you paint, if not where did you buy?

Back to the top

jezzer said

Did you use the original brake compensator valve, if so what colour green did you paint, if not where did you buy?

Hi, It is the original one, I didn't paint it green though, it's painted in satin black!

Just had a look back through the photos and it does look fairly green doesn't it! I think it's just the poor lighting under the car. The brake lines are green though, if that's what you meant?
I used the Halfords VHT satin black engine enamel which I had left over from the engine bits I painted. I dislike Halfords alot but to be fair, their vht paint is cheap enough, available in abundance and pretty hard wearing too!

Back to the top
Got a bit more done over the weekend.

Finished putting the rest of the mounts onto the engine,

rear mount bracket…

Front mount bracket and new rubber bush fitted…

Also got the drive shafts fitted…

And the rear engine mount that fits to the car…

Also refitted the loom inside the car and pulled the engine looms through the bulkhead…

Back to the top
Then the fun began! Me and a mate set about fitting the engine, we lifted the engine into place on a carpet spread out underneath the car then used an engine crane to hoist the car up using my spit as mounting point. We lifted the car high enough so we could slide the engine underneath, we then lowered the car over the engine, refitted the two main engine mount bolts and then lifted the car back up onto axle stands! Simple!  :roll:

First picked the engine up!

Then put that down on the carpet and lifted the car up…

Then lowered the car back down over the engine…

Then lifted her back onto axle stands and admired the engine in its rightful place!!

Back to the top
Of course, I forgot to put in the little foam washers that fit between the engine mount and the body mount  :banghead:

So, today I set about putting everything on so I could get her rolling on all four wheels again so I could just drop/lift the engine up/down fitting the washers one by one.

Got the anti roll bar fitted, what a bastard those new bushes are to fit!! Also got the lower strut brace fitted…

Got my front coilovers fitted with wetsuit covers! Mounted the hubs, And also fitted the TSR big brake discs back on, with new calipers and pads. Should hopefully have her back on the wheels tomorrow so I can put those engine mount things in.

My exhaust arrived last week too, so will pick some clamps up in the morning and hopefully have this fitted while its up on axle stands. Ive got a standard system, Im going to try and modify the back box so the tailpipe position is a little nicer  8)

Back to the top
How many of those foam washers are required for the engine mounts? Engine looking good.:)
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.