Skip navigation

Campaign ?

Back to the top

Campaign ?

Yes, but based on extensive research when I updated the articles that appear on this website. Historically, this club started out as the campaign register, when Mk1 Golf GTIs were commonplace. Campaign owners perceived they had something 'special' and sought to differentiate their cars from non-Campaigns. Thank god we have moved on from them days and are now more inclusive. There was a lot of misinformation out there!

Back to the top
Take a deep breath and count to ten.

each to there own, what you think, what I think and what VW thought when issuing 'ew' numbers to the last tin tops,

why are you so upbeat about this?

VW made a limited edition mk1 tin top, call it a campaign in the UK and give it a ew chassis number so it can be identified as a limited edition model.

Even the price guide lists these cars separately, why is this?

Or do I have it wrong?

Back to the top
EW chassis number is present on all VWs of 1984 model year and built in Wolfsburg - the E relates to the model year and the W relates to the factory. They carried on making all Mk1 Golf hatchbacks for a couple of months into the 1984 model year.

There were other Mk1 Golfs built in the 1984 model year - Golf C, Golf diesel, GX, etc were available and most common in the UK, although others were available. There are loads more in Europe and wider areas with EW chassis code, it is NOT a unique Campaign feature.

The price guide simply reflects one person's view of the value of cars, it has been around for a long time without being updated. Its simply a guide. I don't think it can be used as any more than a rough guide, due to the passage of time since it was written and now.

Back to the top
Also......genuine campaigns exist with DW chassis code.

Back to the top
in my eyes it's simple,

Good day

Back to the top
No worries, its good that you've posted up, because it shows that there is a lot of misinformation/misconceptions out there about Campaigns. Good solid information is out there though, except not really in a publically accessible form since its internal info within the VAG dealership.

Back to the top
On 8th June 1983 Douglas J Clarke wrote a letter while in position as Volkswagen Marketing Manager.

In that letter it detailed that the last 1000 Mk1 Golf GTI's would be a special GTI model called the Campaign. Built in August and September 1983 the model would be equipped with many extras such as a sunroof, tinted windows, front fog lamps, special design Pirelli 6J x 14 alloy sport wheel. The car retailed at £6949.25.

It was described as a 'run out model'.

The club as we know it now was originally set up with the intention of tracing the last 1000 Campaign models, hence the name. What followed was a more inclusive following of the car and a name change once it was realised that there was more interest in the wider models.

Back to the top

Dano said

On 8th June 1983 Douglas J Clarke wrote a letter while in position as Volkswagen Marketing Manager.

In that letter it detailed that the last 1000 Mk1 Golf GTI's would be a special GTI model called the Campaign. Built in August and September 1983 the model would be equipped with many extras such as a sunroof, tinted windows, front fog lamps, special design Pirelli 6J x 14 alloy sport wheel. The car retailed at £6949.25.

The club as we know it now was originally set up with the intention of tracing the last 1000 Campaign models, hence the name. What followed was a more inclusive following of the car and a name change once it was realised that there was more interest in the wider models.

yes that's how I see it, I read that letter on here somewhere

Spence

Back to the top

Dano said

This has always been my understanding too, so many claim they have a Campaign, when it is just a GTI of the period. However Any GTI on an A plate is going to be pretty rare as they were selling the MK2 half way through the year. so not as many Mk1's would have been registered. if i was to look for and Buy another MK1 Now, pretty much all i would be looking for is an A plate and a Factory sunroof, 17D or 17E wouldn't bother me in the slightest!!  :D

Regards Volkswarren

X2 1983 A REG EW CAMPAIGN In WHITE(Awaiting full rebuild solid body) :thumbs: & T Reg S1 GTi Project, Still Looking for Series 1 GTi's or a 16S Oettinger to restore (Complete Cars only)  or an A reg Lhasa Green or White Gti to restore, also consider  Black, Red or Blue, Also Golf Driver Project Wanted anything considered WHY

Back to the top
I think the best way to settle it is to create a seperate box with a title 'The Campaign'. Then list all the requirements that it should have, backed up by Volkswagen documenttion and then we're done!  :mrgreen:

Like here

or

here

Back to the top
The information on MSP pages of the ETKA database help clarify things. Its also interesting that there are many other "special sales campaign" models such as the Golf LX, Golf GX, Golf GTD and also Jettas and Sciroccos.

'Campaigns' are definitely different than other GTIs, but only by the presence of the S707 option code. When you look through ETKA and see what else comes under the umbrella of options codes, it puts the presence of the code into context.

No doubt somewhere, there is a VW document which shows what the workers who built the last of the Golf GTIs should select from the parts bins, when they are fitting parts to a car with the S707 code. These have been well documented from owner's cars a long while ago (ie when they were 5-10 years old at the most) so are pretty much undisputed, and this is all detailed in the original articles above. I've heard info that slightly different door pins were used though the run of Campaigns. I've also heard info that VW stockpiled Mk1 Golf shells with steel sunroof to one side, to enable the production run to run smoothly. And that dealers or the main importer were reluctant to sell a non-Campaign GTI in the last few months, although they did in theory exist.

Also - Pirelli edition, which is similar but was available in the continent, should not be confused with genuine Campaign, even though at the time personal imports were commonplace and the campaign register allowed Pirelli editions in.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.