Skip navigation

Who do you insure with to keep your no claims?

Back to the top

Who do you insure with to keep your no claims?

I've taken out this years insurance with Footman James however, as it's a classic car policy I'll need to insure it next year with a company who use NCD.

I used to use the co-operative but they won't insure cars over 30 years old.

Any recommendations?

'83 Formel E aka Oreo!

Banner

Back to the top
I didnt think NCD was used with a classic policy.

Back to the top
It's not but next year, to keep my no claims, I'll need to insure it with a company who does.

I have the maximum NCD so would like to keep them.

Do that make sense?

'83 Formel E aka Oreo!

Banner

Back to the top
But you wont loose you maximum NCD by having it on a classic policy so it shouldnt matter.

Back to the top
classic car policys dont uses your no claims they just like to know what you have

so if you dont use them they dissapear

Banner

Back to the top
If I'm to keep my no claims I have to have them on a policy within 2 years otherwise I lose them and have to start over.

So when I come to renew next year I'll have to use an insurer who applies NCD to the policy - the following year I can then take out a classic car policy and so on.

'83 Formel E aka Oreo!

Banner

Back to the top
as i recall adrian flux but i could be wrong

Banner

Back to the top

jellybelly said

classic car policys dont uses your no claims they just like to know what you have

so if you dont use them they dissapear

You can keep unused NC (as in, not on an active policy) for two years.

I know that my classic car insurance isn't using them but in order for me to keep them they said that I'll have to insure with a standard policy next year in order to keep my NC.

'83 Formel E aka Oreo!

Banner

Back to the top
Dont you have to be insured on another vehicle to have classic insurance (or is that just some companys policies)

I am insured on my main car so using my NCD on that.

Back to the top
i think with footman you have to have access to another vehicale to be able to have classic, but again i could be wrong

Banner

Back to the top
I'm not sure.

She asked me if I'm insured on another car and I'm a named driver on my OH's - I can't apply my NCD to his policy as it's not my car etc.

My Mk1 is my main car so they're just in limbo until I renew my insurance with a standard policy.

I just wondered if anyone knew non classic car companies who insure cars over 30 years old.  :)

'83 Formel E aka Oreo!

Banner

Back to the top
adrain flux :)

Banner

Back to the top

jellybelly said

adrain flux :)

Ta  :D

'83 Formel E aka Oreo!

Banner

Back to the top

m00 said

I'm not sure.

She asked me if I'm insured on another car and I'm a named driver on my OH's - I can't apply my NCD to his policy as it's not my car etc.

My Mk1 is my main car so they're just in limbo until I renew my insurance with a standard policy.

I just wondered if anyone knew non classic car companies who insure cars over 30 years old.  :)

What NCD does your other half have? Why not, if yours is at the max, use your name to insure the other car too, thus getting a better price.

Failing that, you could take it in turns to be the policyholder on it, thus both preserving your NCD. You'll need to declare who the main and additional driver are, etc but they should be able to accommodate it. Plenty of cars are insured with the husband as the owner and policyholder but the main driver is the wife, so the reverse should be possible???

Back to the top
if classic car insurance is cheaper on your golf, to keep ya NCB could you not just buy a small car or bike, mini, moped whaever, insure it to keep your NCB at a low low premium and just do that each year, could you just do it by having v5 and not even physically having car?

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top

paul_c said

m00 said

I'm not sure.

What NCD does your other half have? Why not, if yours is at the max, use your name to insure the other car too, thus getting a better price.

Failing that, you could take it in turns to be the policyholder on it, thus both preserving your NCD. You'll need to declare who the main and additional driver are, etc but they should be able to accommodate it. Plenty of cars are insured with the husband as the owner and policyholder but the main driver is the wife, so the reverse should be possible???

He has 1 years no claims.

We once had trouble insuring his supercharged R32. Adrian Flux said that I had to own the car to be the policy holder and he could be the main driver. He really needs to build his no claims and I don't believe you can if you're just a named driver.

He won't let me insure his latest car either - he wants to make sure that it says his name on the V5. To be honest I don't want to look like I own a Ford Focus RS anyway  :roll:

'83 Formel E aka Oreo!

Banner

Back to the top

richyhill said

if classic car insurance is cheaper on your golf, to keep ya NCB could you not just buy a small car or bike, mini, moped whaever, insure it to keep your NCB at a low low premium and just do that each year, could you just do it by having v5 and not even physically having car?

We don't have the space to own anything else. The Mk1 sleeps in the garage and if I'm correct you have to garage a SORN car whilst having it insured - I could be wrong though.

My co-operative insurance renewal was £160 more, which isn't bad but £124 for unlimited mileage and £50 excess sounded better!  :D

'83 Formel E aka Oreo!

Banner

Back to the top

m00 said

if I'm correct you have to garage a SORN car whilst having it insured - I could be wrong though.

lol yeah don't know where you got that from. :)

Regards Volkswarren

X2 1983 A REG EW CAMPAIGN In WHITE(Awaiting full rebuild solid body) :thumbs: & T Reg S1 GTi Project, Still Looking for Series 1 GTi's or a 16S Oettinger to restore (Complete Cars only)  or an A reg Lhasa Green or White Gti to restore, also consider  Black, Red or Blue, Also Golf Driver Project Wanted anything considered WHY

Back to the top
I know the laws have changed/were changing in that you have to insure a SORN car and a SORN car has to be off the road.  :dontknow:

With two cars and a works van there isn't any room for anything  :mrgreen:

'83 Formel E aka Oreo!

Banner

Back to the top
The law's pretty simple and logical:

If a car is SORNed it can't be kept on the road - it must be kept off the road (ie private ground etc) at the address given in the declaration. It doesn't need to be a garage, it can be outside.

If a car is SORNed it doesn't need insurance. However, if a car isn't SORNed then it needs to be taxed and insured.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.