Skip navigation

My mk1 - ex Impact/Dubsport car

Back to the top

My mk1 - ex Impact/Dubsport car

MR_LONG said

Another update without a photo of the car.
Bought a new wiper motor from a Fiat uno/fiorino so that I can do away with the linkage system

Been on removing the sound deadening over the weekend. Hours of fun with a scraper and a tin of cellulose thinners.

Just about finished that.

Also ended up buying some new seats from a Honda breakers that I spotted out on my travels. They're alcantara bolsters etc with cloth centres and red stitching. Theres a couple of small marks but nothing major. Just need some runners for them now.

And finally my mate Anthony found some photos of the car in old PVW magazines

(my red car is the one for sale in the bottom right as well)

Any more info on this upgrade for the wipers mate?

Back to the top
Not sure exactly when it'll be getting painted but i have ordered a roll over jig so once that arrives we can make a start on the underside.

The uno/fiorino wiper motor was somthing i saw a few years ago (can think of at least 2 show cars that have used it). Its a single wiper motor & mech all in 1.
I cut & shaped the 2 legs to fit the mk1 better & it simply bolts up. Will probably need a bit support for when its working but you get the idea.

Back to the top
im loving this good job :wub::wub:

83 MK1 Golf 1.3 CL

Back to the top

MR_LONG said

The uno/fiorino wiper motor was somthing i saw a few years ago (can think of at least 2 show cars that have used it). Its a single wiper motor & mech all in 1.
I cut & shaped the 2 legs to fit the mk1 better & it simply bolts up. Will probably need a bit support for when its working but you get the idea.

OK, so basically its only good for a single wiper conversion…….?????   :(

Back to the top
seems funny, i have just changed mine from a single to a double wiper haha.... any news on the paint job mate?

Back to the top

garyc said

OK, so basically its only good for a single wiper conversion…….?????   :(

Yeah the uno has a single wiper as standard so it just does away with the linkage.

browner01 said

seems funny, i have just changed mine from a single to a double wiper haha…. any news on the paint job mate?
Mine was already a single wiper but I'm just trying to improve the look of things while keeping it 90's.
Last I heard they still hadnt swapped the roof so I'm guessing its going to be there for a while. Not too concerned cos its giving me time to tidy the garages (swapped the Rallye into the smaller garage so that the mk1's can be together  :lol: )

Back to the top
First time i've been on here in ages and i saw this topic at the top so had to post!

I'm glad one of my favourite 90's cars has ended up local and in good hands. Looking forward to seeing it back on the road again!

Have you still got your red mk1? It's Joe's (ex) neighbour Chris by the way in case you thought i was a stalker. :lol:

Back to the top
Hello mate.
Long time no speak. Do you still have your cabby?
The red one is sat at the back of the garage and being used to store my parts at the moment.
Here's a pic of it just before I took the wings off. Might do something with it one day…..

And what she looked like before I got my mitts on her (the car that is)

Last edit: by MR_LONG

Back to the top
Yes mate still got the cab, i'll have to put a retrospective build thread up for it as it's MOT'd now.

Can't get a much better storage bin than a mk1!

Back to the top
Love the wheels where did you get the oz badges from ?

Back to the top
Bought them on ebay but cant seem to find them anymore - shame because I might need some more..

No real progress with this up until the last weekend.
Finally managed to get over the bodyshop and get a few things done. Its had the new roof skin fitted (turns out its been non-sunroof, then sunroof, then back to non-sunroof) and the lower skin replaced on the front panel too.

IMAG0972.jpg

IMAG0973.jpg

IMAG0974.jpg

IMAG0975.jpg

IMAG0976.jpg

IMAG0977.jpg

While I was swapping the doors outside the lads in managed to get it up on the roll over jig thing. Ended up getting all the running gear off in a couple of hours so now its ready to strip.

IMAG0981.jpg

IMAG0982.jpg

IMAG0983.jpg

IMAG0984.jpg

IMAG0985.jpg

Heres a pic of the car thats donated its doors now sporting a 3 tone paint job (I swapped the bonnet for my other mk1 as well)

IMAG0978.jpg

IMAG0980.jpg

And this is what it once looked like

Golf1_017.jpg

I was all set to repaint it the same colour but the lad who is painting it reckons I should do something different, and I'm easily persuaded. So watch this space…………

EDIT
Have been cleaning off the underneath with a grinder and wire wheel over the last few weekends. Found that the back arches are a complete mess so it looks like I'll be returning it to standard arches

Heres another photo I've found

The new bonnet (instead of the wing vent)

And some more wheels that I honestly dont know what I'm going to use on (15 x 8)

Some progress, it's taken about 54 hours so far to get to this stage and I still need to do most of the rear panel, the roof, 2 wheel arches, the bay and the front panel :(

The drivers side mount has been altered for some weird reason that I cant really figure out so I guess that'll need swapping back

And a couple of my latest purchases

Found in PVW 100th edition

Back to the top
Well I've been steady plugging away with the car over the last 3 months but its got to the point recently that I realised the lads at Unit Sixteen were going to struggle to get it done this year because there seems to be a never ending queue of cars.
So on Saturday it got put back on its wheels and transported to HTG body 20 miles up the road.

In other news I've had even more things powder coated and bought another set of recaros

I've also bought some fancy (but pointless) carbon fibre wrapped parts

Back to the top
pointless yess, but who cares, those carbon parts look awesome  :cool:

Back to the top

browner01 said

pointless yess, but who cares, those carbon parts look awesome  :cool:

I agree with Mike, love the carbon look. Parts are looking great, hopefully youll get to reassemble soon  :thumbs:

Matt

Back to the top
Thanks guys  :thumbs:
I dont want to go overboard with the carbon fibre. Looking to get the driveshafts wrapped and maybe a wing mirror if I can afford it.

Back to the top
It's amazing that even a show car that's 'been done' still has issues a few years down the line.  :(

Good work in bringing her back up to standard mate. Has the new bodyshop given you a timeframe?

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Yeah he said 2-3 months  as he'll be working on other cars at the same time. I'm happy with that as long it keeps progressing along.

From my experience and what I've seen on forums - show cars are never as good as you expect when you start taking them to bits

Edit

Actual work by professionals has started. Woop Woop

Back to the top
Well things are progressing nicely.
The badly fitted roof has been cut off and the new one supplied by Crazy Quiffs has been prepped and tacked in place for the time being. I was watching how the dents were removed on Friday and was well impressed (using a hammer, dolly and file).
The back arches and filler surround have been fitted as well so hopefully the bakc panel will be going in soon as well.

I also got my wheels back (again). Loving the Apricot

Still lots to do but very happy with how its going

Back to the top
Wow brave move, nice one! Will you test fit the windows before finishing welding the roof??

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Yeah I had to drop the front screen round so that he could make sure it wasnt too tight or slack.
Got to drop the boot seal and catch round as well before the back panel gets welded in properly as well.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.