Skip navigation

Joe90k's Rising Blue 1.8t - BBT K300 IE Rods Custom Interior

Back to the top

Joe90k's Mk1 GTi 20v Turbo

do you know what joe?
you are in most excited part in a project.
im also excited and remember my project when watch you :lol:

82 Golf 1.8 20VT
My Project

Back to the top
Thanks! I am enjoying it! Although I would like it to be a car now!  :DBig update!

First, my Lightened G60 flywheel arrived courtesy of Hotgolf on ClubGTI/E38 forum, very helpful guy and turned it around in under a week! He is now making me up the brackets to fit the brakes too, but he is on Holiday atm so when he returns the brakes will be fitted, I am in the process of painting/refurbishing them with new seals etc. and have ordered some Brembo discs and pads all round too. Anyway a pic of the flywheel after it's diet:

Then I bought a brand new Sachs VR6 clutch to take the power of the 20vt.

All fitted to my engine, with new bolts etc. Timed the whole lot up once and for all and turned her over by hand a few times to make sure the timing was spot on, no probs there! Mounts went on and then towards the bay I went. After a nightmare with one of the CV joints, both driveshafts have been renewed:

Engine meet bay!

After some swearing, heaving and straining, it's in!

So now, I have all the ancillaries to fit around the engine, and wiring etc to go in, all the panels have been painted and the doors and tailgate fitted, the wings have been a nightmare, although they are the Rhibo ones which are supposed to be a good fit, they aren't! The passenger side wing is so far from fitting it's a joke! It has been spot welded in completely the wrong places and as such is no where near fitting. So I am on the lookout for two genuine wings, preferably rust free but I will take what I can get. My brothers car might have two so I may use those. But we will see, the wings are the last thing to go on anyway.

Last edit: by Joe90k

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI
2015 Mk7 Golf R 2.0 TSI 4motion DSG
2011 Caddy Maxi Kombi 1.6 TDi
1982 Mk1 Golf GTi 3 Door 1.8t - Build Thread

Back to the top
looks great CANT wait to see it finshed  8)

Back to the top
Just read it through excellent work & good choice on the colour. What do you do about the chassis number from the scuttle ?

Back to the top
Had a calmer weekend, went to Edition 38 and managed to get a single light grille, a NOS fuel filler cap and the front and rear bumpers as well as a 1.5 rad cowling powder coated black, a set of mk4 GTi clocks for £5 and a new handbrake handle. So all in all it went well!

Cero said

Just read it through excellent work & good choice on the colour. What do you do about the chassis number from the scuttle ?
Glad someone asked this, as I forgot to mention! I looked into MOT rules, and as long as there is a plate permanently attached to the car (Welded, Riveted etc) then it will pass MOT. I spoke to the guy who will be MOTing it and he was more than happy with this. The scuttle was not there when I bought the car, all I had was the v5 which has the VIN on it. So I had a custom VIN plate made. I designed it and had it made up by a friend of mine who did an amazing job! I am looking at doing this on a larger scale as the few people I showed it to at E38 on Sunday were very impressed and wanted their own! So if you are interested PM me.

Anyway a photo of the plate, it is mirror polished stainless steel with back filled lettering. It is very, very high quality! Will hopefully finish the engine bay off nicely! (The serial No. of the VIN is blurred out for obvious reasons.)

Let me know what you think!

Joe

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI

Back to the top
Is that allowed as a vin plate?

I've been thinking of doing my on using a laser etch machine I have at work

Graham
(Boraboy on most other forums)

Cabrio GTI  Now in Lhasa Green with running 1.8T AJQ on OEM management.
Coming to bits again for more mods after reading to much on here…
Oh yeah, and a Golf V GT TDi

Back to the top

cabby18t said

Is that allowed as a vin plate?

I've been thinking of doing my on using a laser etch machine I have at work

Depends on the tester. How do they know thats not an original plate that has been refurbished?

See what the MOT place says where you have your car done.

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI

Back to the top
coming along nicely mate

good to meet you today  :D

me: www.facebook.com/mkoneman
work: www.facebook.com/obdworks
club: www.facebook.com/dubcluboxford
instagram: mkoneman

Back to the top

mkoneman said

coming along nicely mate

good to meet you today  :D
Cheers Bud! Was good to meet you too.  :)More progress to report, rear brakes are now sorted and all handbrake cables etc are in and working. Firstly ordered some Brembo goodies. Didn't cost any more than another make of disc and Brembo are always going to be good!

Then the rear callipers underwent a full refurb, all seals were renewed, pistons were removed and cleaned, then completely rebuilt. The fronts will get the same treatment this week.

And all fitted up! All brake lines are run front to back, I have also got my remote servo, Wilwood Bias valve to stop the rears from locking up. Just awaiting the front 280mm adaptor brackets to arrive from Hotgolf then I will get the whole lot in.

:D Getting there!

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI

Back to the top
Looks amazing can't wait to see this finished!

Back to the top
Would you be able to take a few shots of the underside of the gear selector please, on with the job of doing mine.

Back to the top

scotty_82 said

Would you be able to take a few shots of the underside of the gear selector please, on with the job of doing mine.

Fitted to the car? Or the selector itself?

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI

Back to the top
Both would be even better if you could

Back to the top
Fantastic work so far Joe! Inspiring!

Back to the top
Bit more progress, wiring has been going on this week followed by a few fun bits to cheer myself up!

So to start with the mess that is currently the interior!

And now all the glass, front lights, grille (Cable tied on temporarily!) front bumper, brand new genuine VW windscreen etc.

I'm just waiting on a load of rare genuine bits from GPC to turn up to get the front door windows all in and boot lifter + seals etc. The rear lights are also in, although I am going to tint them all red.

The wiring is 99% done, so as soon as my ECU is here I can think about getting it started! I have found a down pipe from a member on here, (Thanks samdyhall) which I will be using with a second hand exhaust for now until I can afford a stainless item or convince Milltek to make me one! haha

This week I am aiming to get all the ancillaries and pipework on the engine, I have made a mount for the intercooler out of aluminium L bar and the rad fits nicely in front of it. I have also ordered a few polished bits from LMR, rad brackets, a rad cover and some dust caps.  :DMore to come!

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI

Back to the top
Oh and excuse the Fiat wheels lol they are temporary until I get round to getting tyres for my BBS'

:D

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI

Back to the top
Inspirational mate.

I've just bought a bare'ish shell and am about to start my own project shortly so this has been an excellent read for me.

Youve made so good progress on this and the works been excellent.

I've been a bit of a lurker on the forum, mainly gathering info before I start mine and put up my build thread.
Threads like this, whilst inspiring also help to keep things real as to the amount of work to be expected.

Top work :)

Back to the top

Raps3 said

Inspirational mate.

I've just bought a bare'ish shell and am about to start my own project shortly so this has been an excellent read for me.

Youve made so good progress on this and the works been excellent.

I've been a bit of a lurker on the forum, mainly gathering info before I start mine and put up my build thread.
Threads like this, whilst inspiring also help to keep things real as to the amount of work to be expected.

Top work :)
Cheers mate! Like anyone on here that is going through this, it is a massive test of yourself lol time, effort, some skill and most of all the size of the money pit you're willing to dig! haha but it will all be worth it in the end!

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI

Back to the top
wow what a thread, love the colour, love the motor, best of luck with the rest of the build and i cant wait to see it finished :-)

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
Cheers Richy!  8)

Right more pics, the engine is nearly ready to go, only a few more things to sort out then I can see if she starts!  :PFirst of all I have tinted the rear lights, pretty happy with these, not sure how well or orange the indicators will be mind you but we will see! I have a spare set for MOT if needs be, the centre strip on both lights has also been painted black now too:

Then new gas strut and fittings fitted to the rear of the car:

I have also fitted new rubbers to the tailgate and both doors.

And finally some pics of my intercooler pipework and turbo intake, this took me a long while to work out and get right, but hopefully it was worth it! I will get better pics when it is light, but I was happy with the end result:

The turbo intake is custom made, as I didn't want the horrible rubber one stuck in the middle of the bay with a load of unused ports with bungs in, so I made my own, seeing as I only needed a place for the N75 and DV I thought it easier to make my own!

I have also bought a down pipe off of sandyhall on here who was massively helpful! Cheers mate! I will be painting that with matt black VHT paint and wrapping it, along with the exhaust off my brothers car which will be being painted too, this is until I can afford a stainless item and to make it less stressful getting the engine going. The wiring is done and all of the glass is in too!

The list of things I have to finish the engine off now is quite small, I need the following:

Exhaust Reducer 2.25" to 1.75"
Exhaust Clamps + Rubber Mounts
Heat Wrap
Slimline Rad Fan
Rad Cap
Rad fan thermostat
Clutch Line
Brake pressure line from Manifold
One more stainless hose clamp
The coolant pipework, I am looking to get this all silicone but may just make a trip to a scrapyard to see what I can find for now
Lambda Sensor
8mm Self sealing fitting from Revotec for N75 to Boost pipes
Fill all fluids and check for leaks
Pick up the ECU!

Thats all I think, then I should be good to get it going, then I just need to finish off mounting up the front brakes, my adaptor brackets came and the callipers are good to go just need to get round to it, bleed the full system and then need to get four tyres fitted to my RX's get them mounted. Then all the mechanical stuff is done! Just interior to fit then MOT TIME!!!!! (I never thought I would say that!!!!  :lol:)

As always let me know what you think!

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.