Back to the top

New Wiper Motor & Relay - Still Won't Park

Thanks for your help Lhasa

First things first - my wiper walk definately has 4 'clicked' positions:

Horizontal = Off
One click up = nothing
Second click up = slow wipe
Third click up = faster wipe

The forward and back movement do what they are supposed to in terms of front/rear wash, but when the front wash is activated, the wipers only move for the same amount of time as the stalk is depressed.

Maybe it's worth me whipping the stalk out to see whats going on here, as the up / down positions don't seem right compared to what you've said?

Relay J31 -  Am I right in thinking this is the one stamped as "relay 19"? I replaced this and it made no difference. Is it possible to tell whether the relay has the intermittant function built in? Or do I assume that all relays no.19 do?

From what you've said about each connector/how it works i've certainly got some sort of problem, its just whether its the relay or the switch causing my problems!! Argh!

Cheers

Natt

1982 Golf GTi - Mars Red and totally stock!

Back to the top
No probs mate.
Your one click up is the off position, so that is spot on, as is the slow and fast wipe.

It does sound like either your relay is broken or the column switch is broken, or perhaps there is a wiring break.

Regardless of that, the wipers should auto park when there is 12v on 53a.

Not sure which relay it is on the plate, it is too dark to look !!

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
You may find that the permanant and 'switched live' are reversed or something similar, the circuits in my case were wrong.

I think 53a and 53e but dont quote me as its a long time ago and the car is long gone.

~Madferret

Mk1 1457cc 5door GX '83

Back to the top
Thanks for your replies.

This is really killing me now. Had the motor back off, apart and tested all contacts by rotating the worm gear. Its fine.

Had the column switch off, cleaned up all the contacts and tested with multimeter. Again, fine.

I am left to assume its the relay? I fully removed it from the car and noticed it makes NO DIFFERENCE to my wiper operation! lol. ie: slow and fast work, but no park. hmmm

Matt

Back to the top

SOLVED

Relays 20 and 19 were the wrong bloody way round!! Apprx 8 hours work to get this far, and it could have been solved in 20 secs! ARGH!

Anyway, everything working as it should now. Park/Intermittant/wash/wiper. Lovely.

Cheers for  all your help

Back to the top
That is great to hear !!!

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
Just wondering how you got on with your wiper motor mate.  :lol:

I have very similar issues and it appears changing the old mk1 motor for a mk2 with the spade connections is the way forward when wipers become very slow.

No need to swap those relays around, im right in thinking generally you are just referring to the 'park' fault. which i believe is fine on my car except the fact it takes two cups of tea to get there  :P

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.