Skip navigation

Project Sleeper - Mk1 Golf 20vT AEB... Now Runs :)

Back to the top

Project Sleeper - Mk1 Golf 20vT AEB... Now Runs :)

That looks like a brilliant job on the shell mate.  :notworthy:

Looking forward to the updates! Did you keep the alloys it came on in the first picture?

Mk1 Golf floor mats - for tin top and cabriolet - Zero7796 17298Five

Back to the top
Very very nice :)

Madone with the two Cabs 82 (UK RHD) and 85 (US LHD) (92 sold)

Back to the top

GaryGTi83 said

How did you fix this bit, any more pics??

Back to the top
gotta love a fresh mars red mk1  8)

Back to the top

GavB95 said

That looks like a brilliant job on the shell mate.  :notworthy:

Looking forward to the updates! Did you keep the alloys it came on in the first picture?

Hi Gav. No im afraid not, but if you are intrested i can probably find out what they are?

Back to the top

paul_c said

GaryGTi83 said

How did you fix this bit, any more pics??

I had to cut around the whole section as it was rotten, but luckily avoiding the tapped hole above for what i beleive is the seatbelt retainer bolt. I then put in a new piece of steel and rewelded it back in. It was caused from holes left behind when the rear spoiler had been removed.

I will try find a photo of the work when i cut it out

Back to the top
A few Teasers off Mrs Sleeper  8)

Back to the top
After much consideration i have decided to go for the 1.8L 20v Turbo Route.

I loved having the ABF engine in, but the power and reliablity im after, the ABF is going to cost me far too much money
to achieve this goal. I will rebuild my ABF eventually but while the car is under construction, it will have to wait for now.. :redfaced:

I have managed to source a AEB engine from the volkservice garage in Thornton for £400. This seems to have the 2.0v coil pack aswell which i believe is the correct one when the early coilpacks were recalled for replacement.

I'm thinking of getting the head modified for better flow with wilder cams but ive heard this engine has the larger ported head anway  :dontknow:

Has anyone modified the heads on these engines/cam work? Is it worth doing, or is it just upgrading the turbo/aftermaket ecu which is most common? I have read somewhere i few guys boring them out to 1.9-2.0L but it think these are engines pushing 400hp where as im only looking for around 300hp… ONLY  :lol:

Has anyone here fitted a hybrid turbo or had any cleareance issue with this engine around the manifold?

Back to the top
Welcome New Engine…. well not quite new :)

The engine is from a VW passat automatic and has the AEB stamp on the cylinder head. The AEB is the engine which uses your original mk1 mounts, so in theory should fit straight in  :dontknow. The AGU requires a drivers side engine mount where as the the AEB doesn't… or so im told :)

I checked the Block Number - 058 103 021 E - and it is coming back as the ADR block, which is slightly confusing. Think i may have to check this again.

http://www.clubgti.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=220746

Here are a few more pics of what ive been upto on the car

Old Fuel Filler Neck

New Filler Neck

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

More pics to follow soon

Back to the top
A few more updates this week  :D

I have managed to strip down the AEB (20vT) this week, to find some rather intresting things  :lol:

Throttle Bodie off the AEB inlet manifold

AEB Cylinder Head with Rocker Cover

AEB view on the Inlet Ports - Glad to see they are the larger ones  :lol:

Exhaust Ports on the Cylinder Head

Picture of the Oil pick up pipe. When converting into a mk1, when you change the sump the original pick up pipe wont fit.

Option 1 - Buy AGU Sump with oil return from turbo and pick up pipe
Option 2 - Use my original ABF Sump, drill hole for oil return. Not sure if i can use the pick up pipe from the ABF or not. Seems to only be a 5mm difference to the AGU?? :dontknow:

Picture of the ADR/AEB Block showing, what i think is the Crank Sensor and Knock Sensor

Drivers side Engine Mount offered up against the block - Seems only 3 holes will line up though  :roll:

Here is the original Exhaust Manifold they use on the 1.8T (APR). I've read they are very restricitve so thought id take a look while it's off

Wow…. Ok so i think the exhaust ports are around 38mm-40mm on the engine, and i barely got my thumb down the manifold.. hence very restrictive. Think i will be looking for an upgraded one either from VW if they do one or an aftermarket.

Anyways here is the car so far

My Friends VW Bettle

Ahh yes and for anyone who wants to know what tool you need to take the cylinder Head Bolts out….  :mrgreen:

Back to the top
Its been a while since my last update, here are some pics off what ive been upto…

So with the block now painted, I need to pick more parts for the 1.8 AEB 20vT Conversion

Starting with  :D

G60 - 02A Gearbox

K03 Turbo

AGU inlet manifold

100mm Driveshafts

When i came to change the AEB oil pick up pipe, it seemed i had ordered the wrong one off an agu engine. I think this is in reference to which year the engine was made. I'll let the pictures do the talking…

This is the AEB oil pick up pipe, which when used hits the bottom of the agu or abf sump, hence why it is changed.

On the Left is the brand new AGU pick up pipe, on the right is my mk3 ABF pick up pipe, as you can see the boss size is different from one
another.

and the diameter size of the pipe

AGU Pick up pipe ordered

As i am just replacing the pick up pipe, the AGU pick up would not fit. I think its becuase my engine was from an early year built car, where was the agu may have been built a few years after for this pipe. Not to worry though, as the ABF pick up fits perfectly.

Just out of intrest, i did try fitting the ABF oil pump and it fitted no problems, and appears to have a very similar shaft size and pattern to the AEB.
Having said that i left the AEB one in it.

I have also decided to use the ABF sump for this project, so i will just need to weld the 'correct' boss this time  :mrgreen:

You can just the oil cooler on the front, which i borrowed the bracket from my abf engine so the filter sits in the correct position.

After this, it was now time to fit the gearbox, flywheel, clutch etc

Gearbox shift plate and bearing

VR6 Flywheel

Sachs Clutch and Pressure Plate installed

Can anyone see what ive forgotten to put on :banghead: …. and its not the gearbox  :lol:

Moving away from the mk1, i've decided to start looking at the mk4 OEM loom which i will have to research into. If anyone can be off assistance here it will be much appreciated. So far i have this

If anyone has any links or advice to help splice my mk1 loom into the mk4 it would be very appreciated. Also if any one the above is wrong please feel free to mention  :redfaced:  :D

Back to the top

GaryGTi83 said

Can anyone see what ive forgotten to put on :banghead: …. and its not the gearbox  :lol:

Oh dear, off that all comes and on goes the metal gasket! Do I get points for getting it right??????

GaryGTi83 said

Moving away from the mk1, i've decided to start looking at the mk4 OEM loom which i will have to research into. If anyone can be off assistance here it will be much appreciated. So far i have this

If anyone has any links or advice to help splice my mk1 loom into the mk4 it would be very appreciated. Also if any one the above is wrong please feel free to mention  :redfaced:  :D

As far as that lot goes, I am having the same nightmare at the moment!

The following links are very helpful! (I assume you are using OEM management?)

ClubGTi 1.8T OEM Wiring

CE1 Fusebox Pinouts

ALL CREDIT TO RUBJONNY FOR THE LINKS!

Car is looking top by the way mate! Sorry it took a while to reply to your build thread! It has been a very long few weeks :lol:

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI
2015 Mk7 Golf R 2.0 TSI 4motion DSG
2011 Caddy Maxi Kombi 1.6 TDi
1982 Mk1 Golf GTi 3 Door 1.8t - Build Thread

Back to the top
looking good

Back to the top
thanks Joe90 and Dubwannabe :D

Back to the top

Joe90k said

GaryGTi83 said

Oh dear, off that all comes and on goes the metal gasket! Do I get points for getting it right??????

GaryGTi83 said

As far as that lot goes, I am having the same nightmare at the moment!

The following links are very helpful! (I assume you are using OEM management?)

ClubGTi 1.8T OEM Wiring

CE1 Fusebox Pinouts

ALL CREDIT TO RUBJONNY FOR THE LINKS!

Car is looking top by the way mate! Sorry it took a while to reply to your build thread! It has been a very long few weeks :lol:

1000 mk1 points for Joe :P

Back to the top

GaryGTi83 said

1000 mk1 points for Joe :P

WOOO!  8)

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI
2015 Mk7 Golf R 2.0 TSI 4motion DSG
2011 Caddy Maxi Kombi 1.6 TDi
1982 Mk1 Golf GTi 3 Door 1.8t - Build Thread

Back to the top
Snap..!! lol
Great work Gary :D Did you need any filler on that rear arch..?? :D
Look forward to hearing how the OEM electrics go
Keep up the good work mate.. :D

Back to the top

ShaunyC said

Snap..!! lol
Great work Gary :D Did you need any filler on that rear arch..?? :D
Look forward to hearing how the OEM electrics go
Keep up the good work mate.. :D

hah, yes a little :mrgreen:

Luckily most of the rust was completely cut out and new pieces of steel welded in. In the end i bought

New Rear Panel
2 x Front Wings
2 x Doors
2 x inner repair panel
2 x out repair panel

and…. the sunroof was only just nearly repairable. lol  :D

Back to the top
Ok guys onto installing the engine today  8)

As im using an 02A gearbox setup - two new engine mounts are required. Both purchasable from crazyquiffs

1x passengers side mount
1x rear gearbox mount

So engine's on the hoist and everyones worse nightmare… it doesn't fit. The Rear mount doesnt work!! :banghead:

A phonecall to crazyquiff's, and neil assures me he will sort it straight away, but i couldn't really waste anymore time. So i decided to slot the mount to allow for the new holes. The end result is  8)

The only issue after the install i found, was using the orignal AEB exhaust manifold and turbo. The reason for this is, the turbo housing catches on the bulkhead just above the steering rack.

Now i think i know why they change the manifold and possibly the turbo :dontknow:

Fear not my fellow MK1 20vT beleiver's there is a way around this  :twisted:

This is how the engine was left tonight…

Very happy with todays progress  :D  Next is the loom and coolant pipework  :roll:

Here's another classic picture of an old school motor at the warehouse.

Back to the top
love the golf paint job looks spot on.struggling rebuilding the wifes gti seemes to be taking me ages.but am going to stick with it and hopefully on the road next year!! should put some pics on here really.allways bin in to hotrods love the ford rod.keep up the good standards.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.