Skip navigation

HT lead advice needed

Back to the top

HT lead advice needed

Early-1800 said

Hate to state the flippin obvious but how difficult is it to remove and replace one at time so they don't get mixed up. :dontknow:

That is obvious! That's what I've done countless times before but in my moment if madness common sense went out of the window. That's what my problem was!

Anyway the AA guy was quite happy as he loved my car and seemed happy to help.

Back to the top

AndyT said

Right, got so fed up I called the AA as I've got homestart through my bank. Turns out I had them round the wrong way on the plugs. I thought that the cylinders were 1 to 4 from right to left looking at it from under the bonnet but no it's left to right. :banghead:

Had tdc correct and the leads correct on the cap. The engine was totally flooded so he showed me how to sort that by removing the fuel pump relay.

Anyway it's all sorted now! :lol:

I did try and explain, a couple of times, how cylinders are numbered!!! All's well that ends well now though, good to see it eventually sorted.

Back to the top

paul_c said

AndyT said

Right, got so fed up I called the AA as I've got homestart through my bank. Turns out I had them round the wrong way on the plugs. I thought that the cylinders were 1 to 4 from right to left looking at it from under the bonnet but no it's left to right. :banghead:

Had tdc correct and the leads correct on the cap. The engine was totally flooded so he showed me how to sort that by removing the fuel pump relay.

Anyway it's all sorted now! :lol:

I did try and explain, a couple of times, how cylinders are numbered!!! All's well that ends well now though, good to see it eventually sorted.

To be fair though, you did make it confusing for someone with little engine knowledge!

It made sense to me, but with your constant references to different ways of viewing the engine etc, it could have got a bit confusing.

The easiest way would have been to explain that cylinder one is cambelt end, and that cylinder 4 is flywheel end.

I can't help but feel that you deliberately set Andy up to fail, by trying to overcomplicate things for him.

Take a step back Paul, and consider your audience. I'm probably right in thinking that you knew exactly what Andy's problem was, but you chose to skirt around it, instead of just explaining things in a logical manner.

1983 Polo CL - daily

1984 Golf G60 Syncro - sold

1989 Rallye Golf - sold

1992 Corrado G60 - crushed

1989 Polo C - chopped and crushed

1991 309 Style - crushed

Back to the top

mk1john said

To be fair though, you did make it confusing for someone with little engine knowledge!

It made sense to me, but with your constant references to different ways of viewing the engine etc, it could have got a bit confusing.

The easiest way would have been to explain that cylinder one is cambelt end, and that cylinder 4 is flywheel end.

I have to agree with that but do appreciate any help.

Back to the top
I think its a bit unfair to say "I deliberately set Andy up to fail", all I did was try to explain it in the way I approach things. I was pretty much the only one replying, until he'd called the AA then a few others have now chipped in with "you should have done the leads one at a time" etc.

It just shows that one person's explanation can never be quite 100% spot on, so others who could have also replied should/could have explained it in a different way, or drawn a diagram, or labelled a pic, etc. Maybe they didn't do this because they felt my explanation was adequate at the time?

Back to the top
I'm grateful for any help to be honest.
I can't blame paul_c for my engine knowledge being a bit lacking!

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.