Skip navigation

Second chance GTi

Back to the top

Second chance GTi

Managed about 4hrs on it today, done a bit more stripping on the floorpan, just the back part to do now round the spare wheel well.
then i moved on to the inside and stripped the matting off the floor, came off quite easy with a scraper and heat gun.

Made a start on the engine bay too, cut the rain tray out as i like the look without it, also ive got a big hole to repair on the bulkhead which will be alot easier now.
Then i gave the bay a good going over with a gunk remover, came up quite well.
can see where ive got to strip now.  :D

Back to the top
Made some good progress there. Yeah might pop round if i have time. Will come up a treat when you blast it.

Back to the top
Not managed to get much done on the golf this week, been busy with work, puppies ect. did find time to get the dashboard cleaned up, along with all the switches and bits that goes with it, looks like new now.
shame its going to be ages until im ready to fit it, will need cleaning again by then.
hopefully get a bit more done over the weekend.  :)

Back to the top
Little bit of news today, looks like ive sourced the mk2 donor car, managed to catch up with a mate, he knows of 2 up for grabs both 1.8 16v
ones got a broke gearbox which will do nicely, hopefully find out for sure over the weekend.
its all slowly coming together.  :D

Back to the top
Good work  !!! !!!  

Put the scuttle back on though, its got your chassis number on it.. :-)

Real golfers don't play with clubs

Back to the top

Gold-mk1 said

Good work  !!! !!!  

Do i have too?? iwas going to cut it out of the scuttle panel and weld it back onto the body somewhere near to where it was originaly.
i did wonder about it but have seen so many mk1s with the scuttle removed i didnt think there was a problem with removing it.
anyone else got anymore info on this???  :dontknow:

Back to the top
just cut the chassis number out fo the scuttle and re weld it onto one fo the inner wings. as long as it's visable it's fine.

Back to the top

Chriselias272 said

just cut the chassis number out fo the scuttle and re weld it onto one fo the inner wings. as long as it's visable it's fine.

Then you'll get VOSA inspected if anyone spots it. :(

Its NOT fine to move a chassis number - why would it be ?!

:dontknow:

I've got to take my gold mk1 for a VIC check when its repaired ( cat C write off  )
How far do you think I'd get if the chassis number wasn't there/had been moved ?

I wouldn't even be able to MOT it at the place I use if all wasn't as it should be. - Chassis numbers/Vin being the first thing they check.

Not being a " hater " or anything, just be aware of what you could be getting yourself into, Q reg/inspection cost/trouble with police/VOSA/DVLA etc or put the scuttle back on as neatly as you can ??

Not sure if its structual or not either ?!

Back to the top

Gold-mk1 said

Chriselias272 said

Then you'll get VOSA inspected if anyone spots it. :(

I've got to take my gold mk1 for a VIC check when its repaired ( cat C write off  )
How far do you think I'd get if the chassis number wasn't there/had been moved ?

I wouldn't even be able to MOT it at the place I use if all wasn't as it should be. - Chassis numbers/Vin being the first thing they check.

Not being a " hater " or anything, just be aware of what you could be getting yourself into, Q reg/inspection cost/trouble with police/VOSA/DVLA etc or put the scuttle back on as neatly as you can ??

Not sure if its structual or not either ?!

nice thoughts - but i feel that they are your opinion rather than fact. I didn't feel the need to substantiate what i was saying being that the rules are straight forward.

Gold-mk1 said

Why would it NOT be? It's a piece of metal that identifies the car!!

However, for your and everyone else's information….

The scuttle panel is not at all structural. I don't know how you thought it would be. Have you tried bending one? it's not hard to do by hand!

and if anyone is thinking about relocating the VIN plate then it's proably best re welded to the bulkhead on the right hand (UK drivers side) of the car, inline with where is was on the scuttle but just on the bulkhead instead. That way anyone inspecting it will know where to look.

Info from VOSA states…

"Section 18 Statutory Plates
Required Standard
1. The vehicle must be fitted with a manufacturer?s plate, in a conspicuous and readily accessible position.
2. The manufacturer?s plate must be made of a durable material.
3. The manufacturer?s plate must be indelibly marked with the manufacturer?s name and the vehicle identification number.
4. The manufacturer?s plate must be fitted to a part of the vehicle that will not be replaced through normal use.
5. The Stamped in VIN must be marked on the chassis, frame or other similar structure which is not easily removable, on the right hand side of the vehicle. (see note 5 & 6)
6. The Stamped in VIN must be placed in a clearly visible and accessible position by a method such as stamping, etching (metal chassis) or embossed, moulded into the structure (glass fibre or carbon fibre chassis) so that it can not be obliterated or deteriorate.
7. The VIN number must consist of 17 digits (except for mass-produced vehicles see note 4)
8. The information must be shown in a single line. (in the case of a mass produced vehicle the use of two lines is permissible)
9. Capital letters and numerals must be used for the manufacturer?s name and VIN
10. There must not be any gaps large enough to insert extra characters between the characters for the VIN shown on the manufacturer?s plate or stamped into the vehicle.
11. Other than in the case of a Mass Produced vehicle the characters on the manufacturer?s plate must be at least 3.5mm high.
12. The characters used for the VIN stamped into the chassis, frame or other similar structure must be at least 3.5mm high.

There are some notes and exemptions for mass produced imports.

Of course, they changed the size in the latest version to 3.5+ mm AFTER I'd tracked down 8mm stamps to put the left-side mark on my pre-SVA chassis…"

also if you look on this site http://www.ukmot.com/vin.asp, you will see that the official location of the VIN on a mk1 golf is "Top of offside suspension housing" which it still would be if it was relocated onto the bulkhead.:wink:

there is also guidance to MOT testing on this link (http://www.ukmot.com/6-8.asp#Text_top) that states that if the MOT tester cannot locate the VIN their first call should be to the presenter (you) to ask where it is. If you can't tell them where it is, it's only then they should go to the VRO (Vehicle Registration Office).

hope that helps.  

Back to the top
Excellent work, found what i was looking for.

You've found the rules, as we know practice is a lot different..

I also said I wasn't sure about the scuttle panel being structual.

There MUST be rules about removal of the chassis number to a location other than the original place ?? Surely. Otherwise that makes a total mockery of everything else !!

Surely it would NOT be ok to move a chassis number because it calls into question its originality and therefore legality ??

:mrgreen:

Back to the top
eh? what nonsense.

back to basics. VW decided to put the VIN on a part that just so happened was removed by thousands of mk1 owners as a modification. The LAW required the VIN to be visable.

As long as it is. your ok.

How do you think kit car builders cope? There is no 'original' place. They just find a place that follows the rules and they're ok.

How can you be challanged when your following the rules. Do you have direct experience of this or are you just guessing?

Back to the top

kemk1 said

Gold-mk1 said

Good work  !!! !!!  

Do i have too?? iwas going to cut it out of the scuttle panel and weld it back onto the body somewhere near to where it was originaly.
i did wonder about it but have seen so many mk1s with the scuttle removed i didnt think there was a problem with removing it.
anyone else got anymore info on this???  :dontknow:

best bet mate… give vosa a ring tomorrow and ask them to send you the stuff about VIN plates

National Number

0300 123 9000

Opening hours 7.30 am to 6.00 pm Monday to Friday and 8.30 am to 3.00 pm on Saturdays. Closed Sundays.

just trying to be helpful and constructive in my advice. but if you have doubt… caused by others. best be sure. call them up or better still drop them an email, then you'll have it in writing!

Back to the top
WOW!  Thanks for info people!
I didnt think there was that much to it!
I was of the understanding that just so long as it is on the car somewhere
then it was fine.
I was just going to reweld it on to the inner wing, but i think i'l follow your advice and weld it back into the bulkhead so its as close to the original position as possible.
i'l also nip down to my local mot station and check with them, if there happy with me moving it 6 inches or so onto the bulkhead then that will do me.
thanks again for the info.
i'l post up what the mot guy says.  :D

Back to the top

kemk1 said

i'l also nip down to my local mot station and check with them, if there happy with me moving it 6 inches or so onto the bulkhead then that will do me.

I'm sure Clive won't be too worried. Be interesting to know though as i need to do the same with mine.

Back to the top

Busters_Caddy said

kemk1 said

I'm sure Clive won't be too worried. Be interesting to know though as i need to do the same with mine.

ive emailed vosa too, see what they say about it, cant see clive being too bothered about it he will be more worried about the suspension being too low and scratching the paint on his floors!!! :lol:

Back to the top
Not had any info back from vosa yet, suprise suprise.
Got a few more bits done to the golf yesterday, mainly working on the engine bay at the moment. nearly got rid of all the seam sealer, just a few awkward bits that will come off when its shot blasted.
got rid of the battery tray and lots of other brackets that i wont be using.
going for a nice clean look under the bonnet.
started to take the damaged and rotten front panel off too.

Thats all at the moment, doesnt look alot but it took about 5hrs!!
going to get the bay finished in the week.  :mrgreen:

Back to the top
Just got this by email from vosa.
this will make you laugh!! :lol:  :lol:

Dear, Mr Keepence Thank you for your email enquiry dated 12th August 2009, concerning theabove. Please contact a Motor Fctors such as Halfords who will make a new platefor you. I hope this information has assisted you with your enquiry, but if you haveany further questions please do not hesitate to contact us again. Kind Regards,DonnaVOSA Contact CentreCustomer DirectorateTel: 0300 123 9000 The staff at the VOSA Contact Centre are keen to hear your feedback on theservice that they provide for you, to enable them to further understandcustomer requirements and make improvements where possible. Please take afew moments to complete our Contact Centre Customer Feedback form byclicking here

Well from what i can work out from this is, they dont really know what i mean! I sent a detailed email with photos of what i wanted to do and this is the reply!!!
well im just going to go ahead and weld the plate ive cut out of the scuttle panel into the bulkhead so it looks factory.
Dont you just love goverment run companys, totally useless!! :banghead:

Back to the top
Spoke to my mot tester today, he said it would be fine to cut the scuttle panel out and weld the plate with the stamped vin number on back into the bulkhead as close as possible to the original position.
happy days!  :D

Back to the top
Get much done this weekend Alan? I didn't even go round to my unit. Think i'm gunna scrap it! lol

Back to the top

Busters_Caddy said

Get much done this weekend Alan? I didn't even go round to my unit. Think i'm gunna scrap it! lol

No mate, done a bit in the week. been really busy at work gettin stuff out for the end of the month.
Should be gettin the concrete put down for my garage week after next so i will be able to get it inside before the weather gets too bad then there will be no stopping me!
hope you are joking about scrapping the caddy? if you need some help or anything just let me know i'l be glad to come and get me hands dirty and lend a hand.
just remember there is light at the end of the tunnel!!!  :lol:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.