Skip navigation

What did you do to your MK1 today?

Back to the top

What did you do to your MK1 today?

sat on a bucket for a drivers seat making woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooootisssssssssssssssssssh
turbo noises  

childish i know

then thought about taking engine out but went in for a brew instead

Back to the top
after what seems like ages of no grit on the road, woke up to snow and a gritter coming up our street. Typical golf booked in for MOT today  :banghead:  :banghead:

good result though as another MOT passed with no advisories  :D

thats number 4 on the new sytle tickets with no advisories, 2nd one with myself. So really looking forward to some dryer weather and getting to Buxton and the like with the club.

Yippeeee :lol:

1988 1.8 carb Golf Clipper

Back to the top
Pulled out the interior to sort out that tiny hole behind the r/h/s rear seat belt that lets water in from the tyre when it rains heavy,been doing my head in for ages.Oh,and a wash!

Back to the top
Put the new driveshafts and joints back in position. The left hand one is much easier to replace if you remove the gear link arm.
Tonight I will be tightening the bolts and moving on to the engine mounts.

Back to the top
Stripped down a genuine VW reverse switch and used a cheap pen spring to replace the two rusty broken ones. The switch was jammed on, now working perfect.

Back to the top
fitted a alloy fuel tank

Back to the top
removed the gearbox and broke the release bearing  :banghead:  :banghead: got to try and find a new one without having to buy a new clutch kit. Stupid Stupid boy  :ouch:

Back to the top
took the back bumper off and re-fitted it, it had come off the clip on the side at some point

Back to the top
Refitted the clipper kit to drivers side wing. Put on new side repeaters. Read the roof fitting guide again…doesn't look so bad this time round or i could just be kidding myself?! :dontknow:

Back to the top
Changed the oil and fitted new filter + slump nut  :D
Scratched my head while I looked at all the wires hanging out where the radio used to be and tryed to find out what goes where for the new one  :dontknow:
Had another go at taking the rear bumper off but the 2 bolts furthest into the car are too rusty to get off, they look like they have been welded on  :cry:
Another day brings another problem but its all worth it  :D  8O

Back to the top
fitted a new ashtray (one of the clips had broken on the old one and it kept falling out) and found a coolant leak that's been spraying out a lil bit over the front o/s edge of the bonnet…need anuvver pipe from the header to the rad.  :mrgreen:

www.vwt4forum.co.uk

Back to the top
Changed the gearbox and engine oil, oil filter, rocker cover gasket and oil sump gasket. Wanted to fit a new sump nut, but I guess my sump has been modded because the original VW nut did not fit anymore.
And discovered that the distributor cap has some bad oxidation on the connectors, so I will change that along with the HT leads. And the gasket for the speedo cable in the gearbox is shot so that will have to be replaced. Now if only I could get the cable out.  8)

Back to the top
took the roof down & couldnt get it back up, after faffing about found a little plastic switch under boot pulled it out & it worked again so maybe its a safety thing anyone know?

Had fuel filler neck replaced, new fan belt & fuel vapour seperator replaced too, shes purring like a kitten now :)

Touch wood now thats nearly everything done under bonnet, so can concentrate on exhaust and paint work and have some fun driving her:)

Back to the top
Bought a new starter motor before Christmas so decided to replace it this weekend as old one was lazy. Went to GSF to take back old unit and get surcharge refund then ended up getting a new Bosch battery.
Starts great now. :D

Back to the top
Went to work as usual :)

~Madferret

Mk1 1457cc 5door GX '83

Back to the top
looked at her.
looked at the new fuel pump sat on the back seat.
looked at the new cam belt/tensioner sat on the back seat.
looked at the new bleed nipples sat on the back seat.
changed the wheel bearing on the girlfriends clio.
think i got shafted.

Back to the top
I replaced me heated rear window switch now I can see out the back again  :D
Replacing all the lights and fitting a new jukebox on Thursday  :D

I no longer have the Mk1!! I now whizz round in a Black 1990 3dr Mk2 GTi 8v but the roof doesn't fold back when the sun shines :o

Back to the top
found more holes 8O

Banner

Back to the top
Came home,
Saw water,
Cursed that
I hadn't sealed one of the water hoses I fixed yesterday,
Cursed some more,
Decided it can do 'next week',
Had a cup of tea

~Madferret

Mk1 1457cc 5door GX '83

Back to the top
Drained the brake fluid :oops:  :oops:

:roll: mind it was cold :wink:
There are too many online users to list.