Skip navigation

IS YOUR CAR OVER 25 YEARS OLD AND YOUR STILL PAYING TAX?

Back to the top

IS YOUR CAR OVER 25 YEARS OLD AND YOUR STILL PAYING TAX?

so paul what do you think should be added on to fuel to make up the car tax?

i think around 5p per litre.

also you've got to remember that to even get road tax on a car you MUST have a valid mot.

so adding tax onto fuel would surley lead to more unroadworthy cars on the road as people dodge mot's.
or i suppose an mot disk could be introduced?????

Back to the top
An MoT disc is easily introduced - other countries do it successfully and in any case, police/etc use ANPR and databases to check, so the paper tax disc is becoming less and less relevant.

I don't have access to the income figures for road tax and fuel duty but I'd say so long as the scheme is geniunely revenue neutral, it would be okay with me.

Back to the top

paul_c said

Its not going to be changed though……the government have said on many occasions, that they're not going to make it a rolling year again.

Your wrong again there. Its a Government Petition on the governments website.

Its a way of recording interest in schemes. it will only have clout if a huge amount of people are united on it.

Governments change their minds time and time again as you may have seen.

If the poll exists then it is their to guage interest and may be on the cards (all beit a few years down the line!)

Back to the top

paul_c said

My point is that the road tax system in general, is a broad sweeping brush and is unfair on low-use cars in general, not just classics in particular. Its already been rejected by the government so signing that petition will do NOTHING, you can trust me on that!

Ever the optimist eh Paul? :lol:

Back to the top

R11ysf said

It was done to save CLASSIC cars.  It saved some of them (probably) now the stuff you are talking about saving aren't classics, I don't want a Chevette or a Maxi clogging up my Sunday afternoon thrash!

Maybe in 20 years lift it to 1980.  Then in another 20 lift it to 1990.  It was legislation to save a few classics, not preserve cr P .

Well only time will tell if those cars turn into classics…..and for that matter hold together that well.

Having said that, this is a good point. Most newer cars are built to last nowadays.

Back to the top

whatalotafun said

also you've got to remember that to even get road tax on a car you MUST have a valid mot.

so adding tax onto fuel would surley lead to more unroadworthy cars on the road as people dodge mot's.
or i suppose an mot disk could be introduced?????

I dont agree with ANYTHING being on the car. I had my tax nicked from my motorbike so I dont show it anymore. It sits in my drawer at home.

TBH the cops round my way are not bothered as they can check EVERYTHING. Tax, MOT, Insurance, registered keeper.

Why make more work by printing a little disc to display?? :dontknow:

Welcome to the 21st century!

Back to the top
Sorry for all the posts in one go, ive been away! :mrgreen:

Back to the top
Indeed it was done to save classics, from a heritage or history point of view. Realistically the only fair way would be age-related, I can't imagine a panel of judges sitting and deciding which car is classic and which isn't. What would happen if the Mk1 Golf hatchback was determined to be a classic, and the convertible not? Or the GTI only, a classic?

Also I'd be over the moon if >25 years cars suddently became tax free. My point was that to have a yearly fee (I know you can claim months back, but it has to align with the calendar month and you always lose a few days postage, etc) is unfair in itself, and that to have a sharp cut off between <25 and >25 year cars is also unfair. A one-off new car payment isn't fair on the new car industry (it was done before, a while ago, anyone remember special car tax?) and a scheme of declining payments over the life of a car would be complex (you'd want to still incorporate some kind of environmental incentive, so the tax would be calculated from age and CO2 emissions?) - probably too much so to make it practical (nobody would understand it and it would be a burden to administer).

So my suggesion still holds, scrap road tax completely and make the thing revenue neutral by raising the tax on either fuel, or properly investigate the feasibility of road pricing (so it also takes into account location and time of day, ie the critical factors in congestion).

The government has taken different actions based on petitions before. There's examples where they have listened to a deeply unpopular tax and reversed things (Poll Tax); and an example where 'the internet' and a sway of popularisation, has killed what could have been a good idea (road pricing). As said before, there is nothing wrong in principle with road pricing, in fact it appears the fairest way out of them all, but the devil is in the detail but people followed the hysteria and never gave it a chance. Resistance to change?

So, the government is now no longer going to be so proactive in changes of taxation on motoring, since its a sensitive area and any alteration can generate a disproportionate amount of resistance. For them its much easier to 'do nothing' since ANY change, even a good one, will no doubt have some losers who will disproportionately bring a negative slant on it. Not a vote winner.

So I'll stick with my previous points: in an ideal world, scrap road tax completely; pragmatically, nothing much is going to happen.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.