Skip navigation

last chance on 88 cabby with common unsolvable problem

Back to the top

last chance on 88 cabby with common unsolvable problem

I bought my 88 cabby last August and reckon I have only driven it for about 4 weeks, the rest of the time its been in 3 garages trying to get to the bottom of what seems to be a common issue.
Yes, that's it the common fault of going a few 100 yards and then the revs drop, kangaroo's a lot and then stalls.
This isn't the 1st time I have been on here asking about this, I have had…….. new leads, dizzy, rotor arm, plugs, ignition pack, coil replaced.I
then I changed the fuel filler neck and hoovered the tank. Changed the in line fuel filter, changed the fuel pump and this week the carb. Still doing the same thing, driven it short distances for 2 days no hassle and then tonight could not drive it 100 yards again.  

Please somebody help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
All the suggestions that have been posted before I have looked at to no avail

Lamby

Back to the top
did you change the fuel lines/ complete fuel system. ? have you checked the fuseboard and fuel pump relay ?  does it coinside with wet weather ?

Mk1 2l TSR G60.  .getting. There twice as fast

Mk1 lhd diesel…….getting. There for half the cost

Back to the top
All the lines have been blown through and the weathers been the same here for the last 3 days, The relay I get, but the fuse box?

Back to the top
yep  when water leaks in through the windscreen it tends to drip right on to the fuse box causing it to either have serious electrical problems or gradually rust up causing bad connections.

Back to the top
is it a carb model ?? sounds like carb icing picture of the engine bay 1and carb will help

Back to the top
year model

Back to the top
when you took it to the garages what did they say or do any work ? i'm only giving suggestions, don't take it as gospel, not really up on cabby's  just process of ilimination

Back to the top
just checked fuse board all very dry and the cars solid with no holes, no apparent leaks.

Back to the top
if it was a gti, check air/ fuel mixture on metering head, maybe ok whilst warm up reg is kicking in but then as soon as it stops giving that extra bit of fuel causes trouble ?   what model/ year  is it. have you had a read through a few old posts to see if any match your problems ?

Back to the top
the 1st garage changed the swirl? swell? pot between fuel pump and carb. just had new fuel pump and carb fitted.

yes bud a carb model will try and post pics its an 88 cabby

Back to the top
:oops: sorry should have read what section it was in, sorry i don't know much about carb models,   anybody else help ????

Back to the top
i know on the later cars the temp sender causes all kinds of fueling issues when they go wrong

if its had a new carb and is doing the same thing then that would rule out the carb

what else has been changed mechanical pump?

Back to the top
If the carb is not icing up, you should be able to see it on the outside, are all the airbox and preheat pipes in place?

With all the checks and changes that you have made I would begin to start to suspect a problem with the cylinder head, either a crack, sticking valve(s) or a massive carbon build up.

Have you run a compression check ?

An engine will judder and stall if the mixture is too rich or too lean, lack of or reduction in spark or if the chamber where combustion takes place is the wrong volume for the mixture.

Can you smell fuel when it stalls?
Are you absolutely sure that there are no inlet leaks ? These can change with heat, spray some carb cleaner around the inlet and pipes and listen for engine note changes. However to stall would have to be a pretty big leak !!

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
thanks guys I will have a look a the things you mentioned and keep you posted. Keep the ideas comin though. I dont want to scrap it just yet it owes me too much javascript:emoticon(':banghead:')

Back to the top
cant even get the smiley thing right…………Doomed  :oops:

Back to the top
Are you absolutely sure that you are not suffering from fuel starvation ?

A simple check would be, when it stalls check to see how much fuel is in the carbs float chamber, you will probably have to take the lid off the carb to check this. ( In my beetle days I had a twin choke nikki carb that had a see through window into the float chamber, very neat).

If the chamber is empty then you need to see why, I think that there is a fuel cut off valve above the float chamber, that could be sticking closed. Is the pump failing to deliver fuel or an electrical problem?

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
Duplicate for some reason

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
Try checking the connections where the looms etc plug into the back of the relay/fuse plate, just pull the plugs out and push them in again and see if it makes any difference. Another problem I've heard of is a poor joint between the ignition module and its heat sink, I think you can buy some heat conducting compound from the likes of RS to seat it.

Back to the top
i am having the same problem with my 83 1.5L and i'm fairly sure it's a problem with the valves/head.
 :(  :(

Back to the top
Ignition problem maybe? Maybe your live feed is dropping, also check fuse 7 or 17 (can't remember which) I know if you remove it that it shuts off the fuel solenoid cutoff to the carb.

Also check your earth straps, could be they're corroded/damaged.

~Madferret

Mk1 1457cc 5door GX '83
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.