Skip navigation

Brmotorsport....now with pics!!

Back to the top

That seems correct, as mine was built from one of them, as far as i know.

It must be one of the most soild ones left as its done bugger all since its build.

Back to the top
I have just heard this morning, that Brian Ricketts passed away.....RIP

Back to the top
I owe this man for all the smiles his BRM142 has put on my face! Thank you and God bless.

The following is lifted from ClubGTI website…

Born 27 April 1946
27 Chapel Row
Tuckingmill
Camborne
Cornwall

Brian son of George Henry and Elizabeth May Ricketts

Christened at the Methodist chapel in Tuckingmill

After Father came out of the RAF, when Brian was only 7 months old the family moved to Little Alne in Warwickshire and lived with Gran and Granddad Ricketts for 3 years. On the 5 march 1950 they moved into a brand new house at Sunnyside Aston Cantlow, 22 July 1950 Christopher arrived on the scene, followed by Deryck 12 months exactly to the day, then after four years Margaret arrived.

After his school years Brian started work as an apprentice at the Fleet Motor Company at Alcester.
He served his time and went to work at Rover but did not like it because they were always going on strike.
While there he made contact with Fort Dunlop and managed to get a job as a tyre fitter, he was that good at his job that they offered him a chance to go around the world on the First London to Sydney Rally. This then led to him travelling all over the world changing tyres at the Formula One circuits. While on the road he made friends with a lot of the F1 drivers and also found good contacts for later projects in life.

Needing a break from all the travelling he decided to give it up and set up a small repair and body shop near Stratford upon Avon called Black Hill Motor services this went well.

He then went into a partnership with Richard Lloyd and set up G. T. I. Engineering at Silverstone making racing cars; at one time they had the fastest cars in the world in their class, and ran cars in 24 Hours of Le Mans as well as competing around the world. With famous drivers taking the wheel, just to name a few Sterling Moss, Jackie Stewart, Steve Macqueen and Paul Newman.

On the 25 October 1980 Brian married Tina and also gained a readymade family Ann and David, this made his life.
In 1985 on the way to work Brian with David in the car was involved in a fatal accident having his leg severed below the knee, caused by a car traveling in the opposite direction on his side of the road (not his fault) this left him with one good leg and one not so good, this is when his body shape changed from the slim fit Guy to the rounder figure that we all got to know and LOVE.

After parting company with G. T .I. Brian set up another company called B.R. Motorsport at Leamington spa this again went very well. He became famous and was sometimes referred to as the Professor in the motoring magazines.
Unfortunately, due to the steep rise in car insurance for converted cars, trade dropped off.

This led to the creation of B. R. Motor services with Son David, which he still runs today, alongside B. R. Motability, adapting vehicles for the Disabled.

Unfortunately his loving wife Tina Passed away suddenly in Jan 2010 this broke Brian's heart, he was then diagnosed with other problems, and on top of that he had a fall and broke his shoulder. With all this he attended the Stratford Hospice for a short time, but Brian never fully recovered, after having a setback and another fall breaking his only good leg he returned to Shipston.

On the 10 June 2012, after a long stay at the Ellen Badger Hospital Brian lost the fight for life. Just like our father G. H. R. we never had a cross word and were Best Mates, Brother Chris, To say we were close is an understatement;

I will remember him with a smile on his face as in this picture.

—————————————–

Brian's funeral is on Tuesday 19 June @ 1:30 pm at

Oakley Wood Crematorium,
South Chapel.
Bishops Tachbrook
Leamington Spa
CV33 9QP

All welcome to attend

http://www.warwickdc.gov.uk/WDC/Your...riages/Deaths/
Cremation/Finding+Oakley+Wood.htm#map

and Afterwards at The Granville at Barford http://www.granvillebarford.co.uk/lo...andcontact.php

1980 Mars Red GTI BRMotorsport 142
1983 Black GTI

Back to the top
R.I.P To a legend…   :cry: Having looked after my Mk1 for over 20 years giving me years of enjoyment,I can only say the VW world has lost a master of his trade.

Brian I salute you.

Respect

Back to the top
I will be trying my best to get the mk1 back to life this year..i will try to keep the thread updated if i can.

Hopefully i will be on the forum alot more this year.

Back to the top
Snap!

Last edit: by Evoluzione

Back to the top
Hi, have you got this on the road yet? I worked at BR from 1988 to 1994 and remember this car. I may be able to help with any info you need although it's quite a while ago. 

Back to the top

Wellard said

Hi, have you got this on the road yet? I worked at BR from 1988 to 1994 and remember this car. I may be able to help with any info you need although it's quite a while ago. 

Hello Wellard……i turned to facebook which i did'nt really want to do, but its opened me up to world….a world of multiple car groups.

I have not got it on the road just yet, but she is in storage until i am ready.
Any info you have would be very much appreciated…i came across a few pics on facebook of it that i had never seen before, and i have found out some things along the way on here and from what the previous owner had to say….pm me if you like.

Back to the top
Hi kevbrm,it's good to see Tina's car has gone to a good home. If you require any specific information on the engine I'm able to contact Mark who built it. I seem to remember fitting the brake servo conversion and suspension kit amongst other upgrades back in the day. It was one of the last new body shells available from vag although Brian did acquire another one a few years later which was painted white. As I say if I can help let me know.
Regards, Kevin

Back to the top
Thats great and thank you for contacting me.

What is the chance of finding someone who worked on the car!!!!

I will contact you no doubt when the ressurection begins.

Back to the top
Wow this has been a journey, firstly, what a great thread to honour such a wonderful gentleman Mr Brian Ricketts. I remember meeting for the first time at vw festival (I think!!) in the mid 90s, offered me great advice on the mk1 conversion I was doing at the time. Many phone calls later to him and another great MK1 ambassador Steve Cresswell at C&R enterprises in nottingham. Both extremely pleasant, and always found time to listen and advise to whatever niggle and teething problems I was encountering. Both Hall of Famers in the MK1 fraternity. Extremely saddened by the loss of such a great man. Fantastic to read updates from people still maintaining his fine work.

Back to the top
Hopefully the car will be back on the road before the end of the year.

Then i plan to get it to the best standard that i can.

Back to the top

Did you get this on the road?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regards Volkswarren

X2 1983 A REG EW CAMPAIGN In WHITE(Awaiting full rebuild solid body) :thumbs: & T Reg S1 GTi Project, Still Looking for Series 1 GTi's or a 16S Oettinger to restore (Complete Cars only)  or an A reg Lhasa Green or White Gti to restore, also consider  Black, Red or Blue, Also Golf Driver Project Wanted anything considered WHY

Back to the top
Hello,

Not managed it yet, studying my previous posts i better not keep saying it as the years seem to be flying fast.

When i do i will be sure to document it all on here.

If you need any info from the Brm catalogue gimme a shout.

Back to the top
Some pics of when i bought her….
mk1side.jpg
mk1engine.jpg
mk1rear.jpg
mk1side4.jpg

Back to the top
Forgot how stunning it was back then, bought her in 2003.

Back to the top

kevbrm said

Forgot how stunning it was back then, bought her in 2003.

Hi keV
Did you ever get Tina's golf back on the road

I'd love to see it again

Back to the top
Happy new year Kev…..have not got it on the road yet as im messing with a bmw e21 and a porsche at the moment.
I am very slow with all of it unfortunately…….i actually passed a red brmotorsport car near me in pinner in december with the ronals on too, forgot how good they look rolling on them.

Back to the top
Any pics of Brian from BRM?

I'm from Leamington Spa and remember going in to BRM and remember seeing so many Audi UR Quattro's in their garage. They were stunning! This was in 1999.

Back to the top
01FCBD0D-9326-40C8-8883-C24CA110CEC3.jpeg

Here's one from the internet. Brian, Mark  and Ian. I can't the name of the chap on the left as he had left when I started working there. 
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.