Skip navigation

white 78' series 1 *PROJECT ANGUS* Updated 06/04/2011!!

Back to the top

white 78' series 1 *PROJECT ANGUS* Updated 06/04/2011!!

Skilled fella, that arch looks brilliant. Where's he based???

Back to the top
in the back of beyond up in tanfield lea.

Back to the top

colour

evileye said

looks like a sweet project you've got there.  will it be staying white or have you got other plans for it?

Yeah matey, it's staying white, always wanted a mk1 in white! It is canny project like, but it'll be so worth it! Lookin forward to gettin it done for summertime!! 8)  8)

'78 Golf LS 20vt

‘08 Mk5 Edition 30 DSG

Back to the top

Old cars.

Since this is my first MK1 i thought i'd share some pics i found on my old phone of a couple of the other dubs i've had over the years. They aren't MK1's but i liked them, especially one!

My first one was a red mk3 polo bread van, i haven't got a pic of that but it was standard but pretty tidy, it was cheap to insure and cheap to run so i was happy, i'd always kinda liked the mk3 polo tho. I put some big speakers in the boot like, it was mint, used to shake the roof and that!  :lol:  :lol: .

I got tired of that pretty quick and decided to get something different. I found this mk3 polo GT round the corner of my uncles old garage, it had 113k on it like but it was clean and a rare colour, so i went for it:

Was really quick for a 1.3 like! it was like a little rocket It went off the clock once so i dunno if it had been tuned in the past? It used to rev higher than the limit on the rev counter so that suggested a high-lift cam maybe?? I dunno, but it was mint!  :lol:  Banged some ATS cups on it and colour coded the the bumpers. Was gonna drop it but never had the money for coilovers! This was my favourite until i got the mk1.

I was looking for a G40 and basically gave up trying to find a good 'un Then i got sight of this polo GTI which was down south. It was totally standard with full leather and heated seats and that, nice when coming up to winter! So i got some debt (now regetfully) and bought it! It was a really nice car, very refined and pretty quick, although i did have a wee blast with me mate in his G40 and i couldn't keep up with it like!  8O  :lol:

Put some coilovers on it and it was pretty decked like! Good fun through the twisty stuff! :lol:

But it let me down cos of the notorious polo GTI gearbox problem, something in the diff is rivited rather than bolted or something along those lines, and it snaps, which mine did, goosed the diff and chewed some of the teeth on the gears. It cost like ?800 to get fixed and it was better after the re-build but i lost confidence in the car.

I decided to sell it cos my mate had this in his garage that he got from and old guy, and he was doing a quick tidy up job on it to sell, i had to have it,  58,000 miles from new, one owner, chrome window trim, chrome bumpers, small taillights, totally original, even had the original registration and dealer keyring! LOL!

This was it before we started to rebuild it,

The work lasted a canny while like and i ran it as a daily driver for a year trouble free apart from a worn rotor arm. It was a bit of a culture shock going from the polo to the golf, but a good one!

Heres a couple of pics of it after about 6 months, still pretty clean and i couldn't believe the condition of the chrome after 30 years! It's got a few more stickers in the back now and it's on coilovers, and i'm putting the original orange lenses back in the front to keep it standard! Well, apart from the coilovers and wheels that is! LOL! But you can see the start of the rust on the photo from the front in the bottom seam of the wing to the front panel, and my god, that was just the start as you can tell from the thread so far! LOL! I ran it through the winter and although it was still running fine after a new rotor arm and HT leads, the salt did it bad and i took it off the road before the MOT was due cos it blatantly wasn't gonna pass, and i'm glad i did cos i keep thinking if i'd had a crash in it it would have just fell to bits!  8O

Oh well that's my rant over with, we're enjoying the project tho, learning alot and it's just a good laugh! One more thing that MK1's are good for! lol!

Till next time!

'78 Golf LS 20vt

‘08 Mk5 Edition 30 DSG

Back to the top

Progress!

Well friends, progress is steaming along at the moment so i thought i'd drop another update on here. After seeing that the car is now actually on it's way to being solid, it really spurred me on, broken foot and all! Been chauferred to the garage a couple of times, well, yesterday and today, and sat at a chair with the engine on a stand, and set to work. I was on my tod the first day then russ (rustys_mk1) came with me today, but all in all i think we have made a great deal of progress in about 12 hours worth of work.

Here goes:

Firstly, the block was bare of pretty much everything on the outside, like fuel pump, oil filter housing, water pump, alternator, dizzy and all oil had been drained. Started by exposing internals (taking off sump and rocker cover) and then set engine to TDC and took off the timing gear.

Head

Cam, caps e.c.t

Found quite a bit of damage to the shim for the inlet valve on No1. cylinder, all the rest are fine though, cam is ok too, dunno whats caused this like. Probs just try popping it out, dressing it up and flipping it over

Block

Intermediate shaft (dizzy) and crank pulley

And found this on the block, strange since this is supposed to be a 1.5?? Checked the engine code with VW, it's correct for a 1.5, must have just used the same block and different bore, stroke or head sizes for the 1.6

It took a while to do most of this sitting down lol! Bout an hour and a half was scraping the sump gasket off, it was canny stuck on after 31 year! Never mind, i didn't have the tool for the headbolts, so just decided to wait for russ to strip the bottom end, and started cleaning the head and block a bit:

This side is canny dirty still!

Came back onto it today with the aim of getting the main components to the engine shop to get steam cleaned and new shells, main bearings, piston rings and valve stem seals. We are assembling the engine cos it's way cheaper and it's not that hard really. We got canny far on like, basically met our aim, got it stripped bare and all parts off to the shop for cleaning before re-assembly.

Got the head off

Dropped the pistons

Note, everything was marked up before stripping down, would be a nightmare to put together otherwise  :lol:

Cracked off the main bearings and took out the crank

Oh aye, took out the oil pump too for cleaning/inspection.

Well, that's it for now, brought a couple of bits back from the garage to check out on the kitchen table the nite, sad i know but i want it all done!  :lol:  :lol:

Till next time!

'78 Golf LS 20vt

‘08 Mk5 Edition 30 DSG

Back to the top

update!

Well, tried to do another update but for some reason, it won't let me? I can post anything else but the update i did. When i click submit, the forum goes back to the title page, strange?? :banghead:  :banghead:

'78 Golf LS 20vt

‘08 Mk5 Edition 30 DSG

Back to the top

dunno

Right, sorted the posting problem, i had to re-type it again, have no idea why but it's working now!
Just another little update on how things are going, Went down to the garage today to paint the last few things but i ran out of paint after the rocker cover (looks good tho! lol!) and i can't drive at the mo to go get some more! I'll carry on with that the morra!

Bare metalled, primed, flatted off, painted then laquered!

I didn't do those bits i brought home last nite cos i couldn't be arsed after being at the garage all day! :lol: But, i brought them home the nite to work on.

Started with the oil pump, came up pretty well i think, compared to the last pic of it!:

Then the fuel pump, cleaned, flatted off and zinc coated (excellent stuff!):

The oil filter mount:

Got some new bits too, endcaps and disc plates!

Should have the engine back in a day or two ready for re-assembly! Woo Woo! :lol:

'78 Golf LS 20vt

‘08 Mk5 Edition 30 DSG

Back to the top
Nice work there, methodical - and patient! Will look gleaming when all back together :wink:

Andy

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Crikey you two don't mess about eh? Great progress dudes, can't wait to see this finished  8)

Back to the top

Update! 17/03/2009

Just a little update, been doing most of the stuff on the kitchen table cos me foot still aint fixed lol!

Just a few bits that have been cleaned and zinc coated. This stuff is mint, it's an aerosol and just makes everything look mint! lol!

A couple of the bits before hand, crankshaft oil seal and part of the timing gear:

And afterwards along with the dizzy and other crankshaft oil seal:

Got down to the garage a couple of times, gave a few other things a lick of the black (and silver) stuff:

Servo bracket:

Close up of finished rocker cover:

And started cleaning the gearbox ready of new diff bearings and paint:

Before:

After a couple of hours with a wire brush on a drill:

Picking up the engine the morra for assembly, busy day! Will keep you posted!

'78 Golf LS 20vt

‘08 Mk5 Edition 30 DSG

Back to the top
8O

Back to the top

Update! 26/03/2009

Been a while since an update. Since the last time, we've had the engine back from the engine shop after cleaning of head, pistons and block, honing of the block, and a full box of new bits. Piston rings, big end and crank shell bearings, a head set, a new oil pump, stem seals and a new inlet valve for cylinder 2. Russ was grinding in the valves at college and couldn't get it to clean up so i just got a new one.

Once the engine was back in the garage, the block was wire brushed down, cleaned and blasted with air before painting:

Bare block painted:

Then assembled the bottom end with all new bearings, lots of assembly lube and new piston rings. The compressor was a bit shit but we got them in eventually. Torqued everything down to the correct value and it spins like a dream! Lol! Fitted the intermediate shaft and the timing end crank oil seal. Then started to fit the fuel pump, water pump, oil filter housing and dizzy to the block:

Pretty crap pics like but you can sort of see how it's gonna be lookin! Shiney shiney!

Also cleaned and painted the inlet manifold:

Been buying a couple of bits too, got a seal kit for the carb as the one that was sent was the wrong one! Also got some chrome centre caps for me steels, polished one up and tried it in me wheels for a larf, actually looks pretty good!

And also, this isn't mk1 related but it's another project that is goin on in the garage, it's me uncles racing truck. It's called a tomcat, basically a range rover chassis with a full cage welded onto it, incorporating the shock mounts too. He's just been on changing the engine for the new season. It was a 3.0 cosworth V6 now it's a 5.7 chevy small block:

He fired it up in the workshop the other day, it nearly popped our ears (no exhaust) Since then it's been away to get the exhaust made but it still wont run properly cos of the immobiliser, oh well  :banghead:

Should be getting down at some point in the next couple of days to get the head on, gap the valves and time it up, then just waiting for the car to get back! Woo woo, getting exciting now!

'78 Golf LS 20vt

‘08 Mk5 Edition 30 DSG

Back to the top
Hi mate… thanks for showing us the pics… engine's looking good.  Can you advise me on the paint you used for the block, where you got the new parts from and what thosr white parts are blocking the holes so that the spray doesn't get in the engine… are they caps you've bought.  Good work mate and please reply back.  Cheers.

Back to the top

Spudfingers said

Hi mate… thanks for showing us the pics… engine's looking good.  Can you advise me on the paint you used for the block, where you got the new parts from and what thosr white parts are blocking the holes so that the spray doesn't get in the engine… are they caps you've bought.  Good work mate and please reply back.  Cheers.

Areet mate, cheers for the good comments. Well, i just used hammered finish black hammerite for the block and the white caps in the block are actually just the original core plugs galvanised in silver, just to break it up. The only new parts i got were the engine internals, everything else had just been cleaned and painted/galvanised. Alot of elbow grease! :lol:  They came up really well though, i'm chuffed with the results!

But it's worth doing it all properly while it's all in bits!

'78 Golf LS 20vt

‘08 Mk5 Edition 30 DSG

Back to the top
yeah dude looks good! if you wanna block stuuf up for paint just mask it off with some tape just make sure you don't get any paint on the surfaces the gaskets go on.

Back to the top
Christ, you've got quite a few posts up now like russ, i'm slowly racking them up! lol! Got ways to go yet tho!

'78 Golf LS 20vt

‘08 Mk5 Edition 30 DSG

Back to the top

white_78 said

The only new parts i got were the engine internals, everything else had just been cleaned and painted/galvanised. Alot of elbow grease! :lol:  They came up really well though, i'm chuffed with the results!

8O  8O  8O  8O   How much is a tub of elbow grease lol!!!!  Only joking mate I can see I've got some rubbing to do to get my parts looking that shiney (keep the comments clean please  :oops: ).  They look awesome mate.  

Is the paint fine for engines as in not cracking etc when it's hot?  Is this a standard thing as I've started wondering what people are using… got to do mine in a couple of days.  Looks seriously good mate

Back to the top

Spudfingers said

white_78 said

8O  8O  8O  8O   How much is a tub of elbow grease lol!!!!  Only joking mate I can see I've got some rubbing to do to get my parts looking that shiney (keep the comments clean please  :oops: ).  They look awesome mate.  

Is the paint fine for engines as in not cracking etc when it's hot?  Is this a standard thing as I've started wondering what people are using… got to do mine in a couple of days.  Looks seriously good mate

Well, the guy in the engine shop said it was ok to use for the block so i hope so! Lol! And the silver stuff is good for upto 300 degrees! so i think they should be ok. I'll let ya know once it has been ran for a while! Ha Ha

Thanks again for the good comments dude, good luck with yours! It takes a bit of time but like i said it's all worth it.

'78 Golf LS 20vt

‘08 Mk5 Edition 30 DSG

Back to the top

white_78 said

Christ, you've got quite a few posts up now like russ, i'm slowly racking them up! lol! Got ways to go yet tho!

tyness is the one you should say that too hes been on here half the time and hes got double the posts do you do no work at all matt????

Back to the top
Much work? Not really, no. I likes to get stuck in, innit.

Having my last weekend with the car for Spring International, then doing the paperwork for my new daily and it's chocks away on the stripdown. Gonna be fun  :P
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.