Skip navigation

Just bought an engine for my MK1...

Back to the top

Just bought an engine for my MK1...

Great stuff, cheers mate.

8)

Lick my Decals off baby!

Back to the top
Ok, sorry for all the questions but there's not too much info on converting a carb model car so here's a few more…Mods, feel free to move this to Tech/Modifications forum if you prefer.

Would the 16v engine fit my 4-speed box with no mods? Probably looking to do this if possible to save the hassle of swapping box/driveshafts/gear linkage/steering rack. Which clutch would I be able to use?

Going back to the manifold thing - bloke who's dong the conversion for me does a fair bit of welding on exhausts and reckons he'll be able to fabricate something up to fit. On a similar note, will my stock 1.6 exhaust system be up to the job or will I need a 16v/larger bore jobby? Will these combined reduce the power significantly or should it work reasonably well enough?

And finally for now, has anyone got a part number for the cabby lift pump? Trying to price them up locally as I'd prefer a new one as opposed to one from a scrapper.

I realise these are far from ideal but as said before, I'm on a tight budget and would rather at least get the engine in and use it for the time being and change things about in the future when I have more time/money…

Lick my Decals off baby!

Back to the top
cabby or mk2 scirocco lift pump fits into the mk1 tank then just fit an inline fuel pump job done :wink:

Back to the top

bens_cab said

cabby or mk2 scirocco lift pump fits into the mk1 tank then just fit an inline fuel pump job done :wink:
So I need two fuel pumps?!  :lol: Can I not get away with just an inline pump, set to around 5-6 bar going on someones recommendation above?

Lick my Decals off baby!

Back to the top
what you gona do then mate go carbs or injection? it will be good what ever way you do it .

Back to the top

mk1ash said

what you gona do then mate go carbs or injection? it will be good what ever way you do it .
Just gonna stick with the injection for now, figuring out which is the simplest (er, cheapest) way to do it…

Lick my Decals off baby!

Back to the top
i dont blame you mate im  going to do bike carbs, ive got the manifold being made at the mo i just hope it all works when ive done it ?

Back to the top

mk1ash said

i dont blame you mate im  going to do bike carbs, ive got the manifold being made at the mo i just hope it all works when ive done it ?
Fingers crossed, should be wild on bike carbs!!!  8)

Lick my Decals off baby!

Back to the top
i hope so mate ? :lol:  :lol:

Back to the top

andyman said

Ok, sorry for all the questions but there's not too much info on converting a carb model car so here's a few more…Mods, feel free to move this to Tech/Modifications forum if you prefer.

Would the 16v engine fit my 4-speed box with no mods? Probably looking to do this if possible to save the hassle of swapping box/driveshafts/gear linkage/steering rack. Which clutch would I be able to use?

Going back to the manifold thing - bloke who's dong the conversion for me does a fair bit of welding on exhausts and reckons he'll be able to fabricate something up to fit. On a similar note, will my stock 1.6 exhaust system be up to the job or will I need a 16v/larger bore jobby? Will these combined reduce the power significantly or should it work reasonably well enough?

And finally for now, has anyone got a part number for the cabby lift pump? Trying to price them up locally as I'd prefer a new one as opposed to one from a scrapper.

I realise these are far from ideal but as said before, I'm on a tight budget and would rather at least get the engine in and use it for the time being and change things about in the future when I have more time/money…
Anyone got any clues?  :)

Lick my Decals off baby!

Back to the top
Alright fella, don't quote me on any of this as I know next to nothing, but I think the gearboxes should fit - as far as I know as long as it's an 020 box it should fit alright?

Would probably be worth swapping it all over cos as far as I know the gearbox mounts are the same, as are the clutch and selector linkages, using the thicker driveshafts would probably be better too as obviously they're designed to be used with that engine and power, while your existing ones aren't really…

As for the manifold I don't know if the fitting is the same? If I did this I'd save up for a conversion manifold from Rally Design. They're not very cheap though so probably not the best idea if you're on a budget :(

Would love to help you with the lift pump part number but mine's not a GTI and so doesn't have one :(

Hope some of that helps!
Mat

Back to the top
i don't think your gearbox will be any good. might be wrong but i don't think it will be able to handle the extra power. as matt said the new one should bolt straight in anyway. again as matt said i'd go for the manifold and buy one. you'll prob have a hard time making it fit and prob won't get the finish your after. if you need any help dude give me a shout more than happy to come and wield some spanners!

Back to the top

andyman said

gear box is a nono!! use the gear box that comes with the engine!! you need a new steering rack! no way round it easily! they not expensive! 35 quid ish! but best bet is scrap yard as i just done this conversion from a 1.1! get the rack and also the selector rods! as you need them!

reguards to drive shafts, i used the mk2 16v drive shafts! all you need to do tho is swap the outer cv joint off the drivers side from your existing shaft onto your mk2 16v shaft!! dead easy!!

for the 16v engine most places you buy a performance exhaust for a mk1 use a 2 1/4 " pipe, so i'd say full system and manifold! get on to rally design! ashley one i got on! spot on fit too!

reguards to lift pump save your money as they very expensive! get to scrap yard a polo lift pump, the single point injection ones have the same and are easier to find! underneath the back seat! and fits perfectly into your existing tank! and for the othjer fuel pump you got a few options of where to get the pump from, k-jet volvo's have them! mercedes k-jet have them! and shed loads of audi's and obv. mk1 golf gti's! all use basically same pump!! but its easier finding a merc or volvo! and they are perfect for it! and are cheaper from breakers! as soon as you say mk1 golf the price goes up!

hope this helps bud! i done that and mines spot on!

Back to the top
AFAIK Mk2 16V Golf driveshafts are longer than Mk1, they'll fit but they'll put the CVJs under stress. 4 speed 020 box is as strong as the 5 speed, but the ratios will be more widely spaced and probably leave you with a too-low top gear too, so the car will just feel all wrong - hence its best to try and obtain a 5 speed. If you reuse the gearbox from the mk2 donor car, you can use later cabby or scirocco driveshafts; or swap the flanges from 100mm to 90mm.

Fuel pump(s) - try scouse or crazyquiff because a later cabby lift pump shouldn't be that much, and the 2nd higher pressure pump either. But as stated there's many other cars which used K-Jet it could be taken from too.

Back to the top
ONLY ONE DRIVE SHAFT IS LONGER!! thats why you swap the end of it!! i guarantee you no knocking or anything!!

Back to the top
Cheers lads, plenty to keep me going on the hunt for parts. Expect more questions soon…  :lol:  :wink:

Lick my Decals off baby!
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.