Skip navigation

Just bought an engine for my MK1...

Back to the top

Just bought an engine for my MK1...

A 1.8 16V 9KR), comes with hopefully everything I'll need to stick it into my 1.6 carb GLS…so can anyone put a grin on my face and tell me it's gonna be noticeably quicker than it is with the 70bhp beast that's in it now!  :wink:  :lol: What exactly are they like to drive, 0-60/quarter mile times etc…

Lick my Decals off baby!

Back to the top
well they are double the power of your 70bhp 1.6 (139bhp)

with a stripped out car, and a few tweaks to the KR, you can see 14 second quarter miles, a la Paul_c.

1983 Polo CL - daily

1984 Golf G60 Syncro - sold

1989 Rallye Golf - sold

1992 Corrado G60 - crushed

1989 Polo C - chopped and crushed

1991 309 Style - crushed

Back to the top
Think you might have to change the tank and pumps, also maybe the fuel lines to put that engine in your carb engined golf.

Some one else more technically minded will be able to confirm

Back to the top
And upgrade Anti Roll Bars, suspension and brakes.

Back to the top

Kenno said

Think you might have to change the tank and pumps, also maybe the fuel lines to put that engine in your carb engined golf.

Yeah, wasn't sure about this…would the tank need to be changed for definite? Surely a fuel tank is a fuel tank? But I'm no mechanic…  :lol:  :oops:

Lick my Decals off baby!

Back to the top

andyman said

Kenno said

Yeah, wasn't sure about this…would the tank need to be changed for definite? Surely a fuel tank is a fuel tank? But I'm no mechanic…  :lol:  :oops:

Don't quote me on this, but I believe a later cabby lift pump can fit into an earlier tank (through the large hole at the top which is used for the level sender/pick up tube). You'd need to use the 2nd fuel pump too, to boost the pressure high enough for the K-Jetronic fuel injection. In other words, use the existing tank but the fuel system from a later cabby.

Back to the top
Cheers for that Paul…couple more quick questions, although I do have the 16v zip file/Pdfs to browse through later on tonight.

Manifold - do I need to buy a conversion manifold or can the existing one be made to fit?

Gearbox - I'm assuming the 16v box will be 5speed, will I need the linkage/gearstick from the 16v too?

Cheers, Andy

Lick my Decals off baby!

Back to the top

andyman said

Cheers for that Paul…couple more quick questions, although I do have the 16v zip file/Pdfs to browse through later on tonight.

Manifold - do I need to buy a conversion manifold or can the existing one be made to fit?

Gearbox - I'm assuming the 16v box will be 5speed, will I need the linkage/gearstick from the 16v too?

Cheers, Andy

The Mk2 16V manifold is a different shape. In theory it could be made to fit but unless you do welding for a living, you're unlikely to get it the right shape AND smooth enough inside to avoid losing power, so the best bet would be to buy an off-the-shelf conversion manifold (and the rest of the exhaust system too LOL).

If yours is currently a 4 speed, you'll need the linkage (including the steering rack, because it has a bracket welded to it in a different place) from a 5 speed Mk1 Golf, the Mk2 is no use to you. Once again, if you can weld accurately then you could avoid having to replace the rack, by repositioning the bracket or fabricating another, as appropriate.

Back to the top
Spot on, cheers Paul - I'll get my engine man on the case.

Lick my Decals off baby!

Back to the top
put in on webers mate ,you wont have to change the tank and lines the fuel pump should keep up as well , just a though  :lol:

Back to the top

mk1ash said

put in on webers mate ,you wont have to change the tank and lines the fuel pump should keep up as well , just a though  :lol:

x2, there's a measure of common sense in taking that approach. There's a couple of pitfalls to be wary of with a 16V on twin carbs, but its not too bad.

Back to the top
well i done it for the look and the sound but now they have got to go as im board of them ?but it is an easy thing to do its just geting all the parts .

Back to the top
Aye, good point really, but I'd imagine a twin weber setup will be canny costly though?

Lick my Decals off baby!

Back to the top
well it can cost alot ive got my carbs up for sale for 350 all in but i paid alot more for the hole setup , so yes i can cost alot ,and it depends what you are usein the car for ,like track or fast road car or as a day to day car .

Back to the top
I'll just have to weigh up how much work it is to fit the FI and source the extra parts needed really. It's my daily driver with the occasional blast down the strip hopefully.

Lick my Decals off baby!

Back to the top
like you say mate its up to you, every one will say diffrent but if we all had the same what would we talk about lol

Back to the top
I'd prefer carbs in all honestly, not for any specific reason, I just like carbs!!  :lol: But it is on quite a tight budget so as I said, might have to stick with the FI system if it works out cheaper.

Lick my Decals off baby!

Back to the top
well ive had my twin 40s on the car and runing i did have it set up but its was idling up and down but ive got board off them now so im trying bike carbs and if that dont work im gona go for a tdi engine , some one was having my carbs to day but let me down ?

Back to the top
Ok, couple of questions I can't seem to find the answers to in the PDFs. Not to say they're not there of course!  :roll:  :lol:

Engine mounts -  with my car being a 1.6 carb, will the engine mounts be OK or will I need to do some mods/replace them?

Driveshafts - will these be compatible with my existing brakes etc or will I need to either source some MK2 16v ones or swap my existing driveshafts from the 4speed box over to the new 16v box?

Fuel pump - talking to my mate who'll be doing the swap and he reckons instead of getting a lift pump from a cabby we should be able to use a standard facet fuel pump and regulator? Will this work with the injection system?

Dash clocks - I have the MK2 dash clocks and wiring - will these fit straight into my MK1?

Plenty more but that'll do for the minute! Thanks everyone.  :)

Lick my Decals off baby!

Back to the top
your engine mounts will fit as the 1.6 is the big block engine
Your drive shafts will need to be changed for the 100mm shaft from a 1.8 gti cabby
you will need the correct fuel pump for the k-jet system as the fuel pressure needs to be aprox 5-6 bar this means that you will need either a lift pump in tank or use the eairlier type tank that has the outlet on the bottom as these pumps are NOT self priming
the mk2 dash clocks will fit altough you will have to change the plugs on your wiring loom this is quite an easy job as all of the colours are the same although you will need to eath one of the oil pressure wires to stop the buzzer coming on over 15mph i cant remember which wire it is because i done this about 5 years ago
hope this helps
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.