Skip navigation

new member mad idea ,mk1 caddy 4motion 4wd turbo 24v......

Back to the top

new member mad idea ,mk1 caddy 4motion 4wd turbo 24v......

yep my engine exerts over 500lbft at the crank. If you can tell me the grade of steel the car is made from, I will tell you the tensile strength of it,

Back to the top

poppyg60 said

yep my engine exerts over 500lbft at the crank. If you can tell me the grade of steel the car is made from, I will tell you the tensile strength of it,

is that all if i add the internet torque to mine i get 600lbft at the crank :mrgreen:

tbh the only people that know the awnser are the people that have built them and from what ive seem they all make there own mounts

i made my own mount on my 20v which is better that the crap alloy mounts that came with the engine :wink:

to put a subframe in a mk1 is just mad youd lose the cars front end strengh by cutting the chassis legs out not sure why youd do it tbh more hassle than its worth

Back to the top

poppyg60 said

It depends where you weld it to and what shape the underlying section is too! This has reasonable data for the strength of welded steel:

http://www.msm.cam.ac.…se-trans/2005/LINK/58.pdf

Obviously the calcs would be to decide on a safety factor then determine the required thickness of the chassis leg, you could probably assume its shape is that of a plain box section. Then compare this to the actual thickness of a standard mk1's box section.

Back to the top

Back to the top
thanks for info and ur thoughts ,trust me time ive cut ,welded the mounts in the right place this little lump wont be trying to jump out or twist the body ,,,as ive done a few silly engine conversions and have to say this will be a straight forward conversion ,conpaired to others ive done ,ill be ueing 5mm plate ,5mm box section ,floors cut and stentherned up ,,as its going to be a ratty conversion,,ill have either 4 mounts or six ,there seems more room with the turbo fittedmthen a mk3 vr6 turbo …,
slight bollock i dropped lol ,one of many ,the external wastegate will need rechopping and moveing up the back,as i want to get the engine inline fr the drivshafts so i can make them fit ok,,supose it will be ok for a bit of track fun ,thinking about it might have been ok as a std lump without the blower ,ps that turbo is a mismatch ,but if my calucation is right ,it will work spot on for the amount of bhp i need .

Back to the top
There's loads of info and pics on VW Vortex of guys who have done Mk1 VR6 conversions and strengthened various areas of the engine bay, based on where other previous conversions have cracked or split. I think 3mm would have been fine, 5mm is very cautious and is ultimately just going to weigh the car down a little more than it needs to be.

Back to the top

paul_c said

There's loads of info and pics on VW Vortex of guys who have done Mk1 VR6 conversions and strengthened various areas of the engine bay, based on where other previous conversions have cracked or split. I think 3mm would have been fine, 5mm is very cautious and is ultimately just going to weigh the car down a little more than it needs to be.
yep seen some paul ,most are mk3 vr6 engines ,as i couldnt find too mutch info ,on the 4motion mk4 v6 24v lump been fitted with the 6speed and 4wd system in a mk1 caddy ,so i thought best thing build it up and thow it in to get an idea of how it would fit ,,,regards steel id sooner have strong thinker steel with a more weight then thin which may bend od rip off ,as some of the youtube vids runing 400bhp ,was fun as it looked like the engine wounded to jump out of the car lol,cheers paul ,any info is helpfull info..

Back to the top
did notice its defo slammed the front u can just see on the pic ,may have to sort this at a later stage

Back to the top
alright mate? it seems to be coming on nicley here is my engine mount this is the tricky one.

the top gearbox one is original mountimg point with modded mount as is the front snubber,bottom gearbox one is 70x70 angle cut and fabbed (solid)

Back to the top

ashtray said

alright mate? it seems to be coming on nicley here is my engine mount this is the tricky one.the gearbox one is original mountimg point with modded mount as is the front snubber,bottom one is 70x70 angle cut and fabbed (solid)

NICE ON ASH  i know my mk4 block has the holes to do this idea ,i thought it were easyer just makeing std v6 mounts fit and add one under the gearbox and one infront of the engine,,as ive seen 4motion golfs runing decent bhp with a heayr car.body weight with no problems …..looking cool thow ash,going to see if i can use a power rack fit too.

Back to the top
yeah i got offered a ex TSR power steering setup but it was stupid money (?500) plus the fact i would not have an excuse not to let the mrs drive it :lol:
the pictured mount is a standard mk3 vr6 they bolt straight on the 24v so it was used it looks like yours is gonna be done before mine too :banghead:

Back to the top

ashtray said

yeah i got offered a ex TSR power steering setup but it was stupid money (?500) plus the fact i would not have an excuse not to let the mrs drive it :lol:
the pictured mount is a standard mk3 vr6 they bolt straight on the 24v so it was used it looks like yours is gonna be done before mine too :banghead:
I DO PREF THE THE EARLYER VR6 MOUNT SETUP TBH ASH,BUT I ANT GOT ANY SO STOCK ILL HAVE TO DO LOL,WELL DONT THINK ABOUT IT JUST CRACK ON ,,,IT WILL SOON BE WINTER ..

Back to the top
i have one pic then think about the steering rack and prop

http://img516.imageshack.us/my.php?image=enginebaypoaintedge5.jpg

Back to the top

poppyg60 said

i have one pic then think about the steering rack and prop

http://img516.imageshack.us/my.php?image=enginebaypoaintedge5.jpg
hi poppy ,well chuff me that look and seems to fit very nicely ,looks like a mk3 vr6 engine cradle modifyed in ,very cool,but the wishbones look mk1,mk2 ish ,,have u cut ur tunnel out slighty as i looked at mine last night ,and i reckon if i cut remove the the first part at the front off the bulk head it should give me enoegh clearance to get the prop in ,im going to try remove my s,steering and fit the later mk4 ad rise it a bit ,as the ends are longer it should still steer ok ,,all gess work really ,but that dose look inpressive

Back to the top
you have to raise at least 2 " then start to bring in bump steer , with 400bhp+ it aint gonna easy to hold when you hit a bump , mines bad enough now i have to in 4wd mode all the time when thrashing it,

Back to the top

poppyg60 said

you have to raise at least 2 " then start to bring in bump steer , with 400bhp+ it aint gonna easy to hold when you hit a bump , mines bad enough now i have to in 4wd mode all the time when thrashing it,
WISH ID not started it now lol ,found more probs 2day playing gess work ,with the engine,its either sump hits the floor or rocker cover hits the bonett, or wacks the old mk1 wishbones then transfor hits steering then my bloody manifold wont fit ,so in all had a bad day lol,along with cutting driveshafts lol
few pics

had to make it fit best i cud considering clearance issuise

ill get rack ripped of 2moz its going to be tight ,fitting inlet ,fan and rad in there and a incooler ,,,plus my dam manifold want fit ,so more chopping is needed lol

once racked moved sorted ,ill cut tunnel to suit

Back to the top
just about to start on the other side and dam rain came ,grr

Back to the top
bit more this after
steering rack off

more tinkering  to get prop in

bit of driveshaft shorting

Back to the top
just made a start on the short runner

bit of bending here and there ,and it will fit ,

Back to the top
not mutch to add due a nice hangover from the night before lol ,so just tacked the short runner pipes up
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.