Skip navigation

new member mad idea ,mk1 caddy 4motion 4wd turbo 24v......

Back to the top

new member mad idea ,mk1 caddy 4motion 4wd turbo 24v......

Wondered when the next update was coming, getting a bit slow now :? .  I joke nice work as well, top notch job there, well done.

Back to the top

welsh-mk1 said

Wondered when the next update was coming, getting a bit slow now :? .  I joke nice work as well, top notch job there, well done.
thats because im also doing a polo 6n vr6 conversion too lmao

Back to the top
i'm new to the forum but hats off mate - love reading threads like this - top job :wink:

Back to the top

seasidestevo said

i'm new to the forum but hats off mate - love reading threads like this - top job :wink:
nice one bud ,im bloody freezing updates at 3.30am lol al hours no play ,,all fun i gess

Back to the top
couple more this after

removed and replaced bolts ,a buggar to nip up

fitted some wireing started etc

just coverd a few bits in primer to save rust

Back to the top
Use a GTI Rad from a Tintop they are far bigger than the later rads. Vw LT/Merc sprinter intercooler are a good size for the mk1 with a big turbo and they just fit between the chassis legs nicely although you will have to relocate the battery,i would run water/meth from snowperformance aswell to keep things cooler.Also run a 76 or 80 degree thermostat and a coulpe of slimline fans like i did on an R32 turbo i converted last year and that never gets hot!

1989 caddy
1981 gti
1993 cabby

Back to the top

rustmuncher said

Use a GTI Rad from a Tintop they are far bigger than the later rads. Vw LT/Merc sprinter intercooler are a good size for the mk1 with a big turbo and they just fit between the chassis legs nicely although you will have to relocate the battery,i would run water/meth from snowperformance aswell to keep things cooler.Also run a 76 or 80 degree thermostat and a coulpe of slimline fans like i did on an R32 turbo i converted last year and that never gets hot!
brillinat now thats good info matey ,,,bit unsure what a gti tin top ,as the radiator has to fit inside the front cross member and i have a intercooler ,that may do ,but the lt vw or merc sprinter i do remember seeing one a while back ,and remember there nice and long ,do u have any pics links to yours ,juses i bet that goes really wheel,,,,

Back to the top
GTI Rad won't be big enough, and its coolant hoses probably won't line up. Does the 24V have the same coolant connections as the 12V, for its rad (ie 2x on the left of the car)?

Back to the top

paul_c said

GTI Rad won't be big enough, and its coolant hoses probably won't line up. Does the 24V have the same coolant connections as the 12V, for its rad (ie 2x on the left of the car)?
yep paul same as the mk3 vr6 idea both on the left side (battery side)i just want one with a decent cooling core which will fit under/inside the cross member ,,with both topbottom hoses on the left side ,i was offer a 16v carrodo one but  dont think it will do the job

Back to the top
i have a gti rad sat hear and when i saw this i thort i wouldd check for you and it wont fit in the gap you want it to + it aint really that big dont think it would be enough to cool down the engine.

keep on dubbing

Back to the top

gaz_mk1 said

i have a gti rad sat hear and when i saw this i thort i wouldd check for you and it wont fit in the gap you want it to + it aint really that big dont think it would be enough to cool down the engine.
well gaz many thanks and the helpfull info ,i think ur right ,as i dont think a small rad will cool it right ,and i now now a mk3 vr6 wont fit either,,,,damm ,so that means its more chop and cut ,,lmao ,ill make a big one fit ,,

Back to the top
why dont you get 2 small thick ones and put them in both front wings iv seen a nova turbo done like it with loovres (sorry dont no how to spell it) so they got loads of nice cold air to then you would have space for a nice big intercooler.

either that or deamon tweeks have some slim but fat rads i have the catalogue hear

keep on dubbing

Back to the top

gaz_mk1 said

why dont you get 2 small thick ones and put them in both front wings iv seen a nova turbo done like it with loovres (sorry dont no how to spell it) so they got loads of nice cold air to then you would have space for a nice big intercooler.

either that or deamon tweeks have some slim but fat rads i have the catalogue hear
cool idea,,ill try to find some info on how they mount look etc,,,,as i really need a big intercooler

Back to the top
more welding bits lol
be sound with a tad of filler to re shape the arch

seem welded rear box section ,,

inner sills sorted

engine mounts sorted

bit of spray to save rust coming thew

ill sort the wireing loom out 2night in the house its a little warmer lol

Back to the top
just started on the wireing as i thought be better striping the lot ,then wire it were i need it to go ,on the lump ,bought a few extra bits/bobs of wireing/beeding/box of earth clips etc ,

Back to the top
just a quicky ,removed the old leaf spring hangers and boxed it up ,also adds a little more strengh ..

Back to the top
decied 2day as i want power steering on my caddy and due to moveing/riseing the steering rack ,as the propshaft was in the way ,,thought chuff ill rip the old vw steering coloum out and fit a electric power steering with varible steering ,,,bit of modifying should work a treat ,,as lots of vauxhall fit vw,,

Back to the top
Sounds great, will be good to see how it turns out.

Back to the top

adaptorman said

decied 2day as i want power steering on my caddy and due to moveing/riseing the steering rack ,as the propshaft was in the way ,,thought chuff ill rip the old vw steering coloum out and fit a electric power steering with varible steering ,,,bit of modifying should work a treat ,,as lots of vauxhall fit vw,,

Full article on power steering here:

http://www.fastgolf.or…ontent&pa=showpage&pid=14

Back to the top
I think jamiegolf fitted on of these to his 20vT cab.
1 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.