Skip navigation

ARC894Y

Back to the top

Project Corona

Hi All,

I have been a member in the past, but time and kids have want I haven't been on here for ages. So long in fact that my username got deleted. I was previously Vdubber2.

Project Corona has begun. I need some help and advice, I'm self isolating like many others as I'm high risk so will probably be on here a lot looking for help.

Here my Golf is, I've had it for over ten years, done some bits that now redoing and I want to get the car back to a really good standard again having been off the road for a number of years.
image0.jpeg image1.jpeg image2.jpeg image3.jpeg image5.jpeg
Ill be asking questions soon so watch this space.

A

Back to the top
Hi,
Welcome back
vdubber2  is still there.
We don't delete usernames unless the user post offensive or spam posts!
Can you remember the email address you had associated with the account?
I can merge them :-)

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
Thanks. I tried to log back in but it wouldn't let me. Try to reset my password and computer said no! previous email address was shorter_alexander@yahoo.co.uk

Back to the top
So I've been locked up all day and only had a trickle charger and two earth bonding clips meant for gas pipes to try charge two battery's. Neither would charge off the trickle charger as they didn't have over 6v so had to wait until the evening when no one was around to get my van as I can't see anyone at the moment.

Finally got the van and some jump leads, jumped the battery for 5 minutes and then put it back on the trickle charger and it finally started to charge. Took me all day to charge a battery, things really are a struggle when you don't have the right stuff. My plan is to get the car out the garage tomorrow now I have some tools and hopefully some charge to the battery. Then I can the car properly and see what sort of state its actually in. Im not hopeful that it will start but its worth a go!

IMG_6549.jpg IMG_6552.jpg IMG_6555.jpg IMG_6558.jpg

Back to the top
Hi Guys,

Little help needed already!

Changed the oil and water ready to crank over today. All good she turns over nicely but doesn't fire up. My question is, I used to be able to hear the flue pump running really loudly whenever I got into the car, first thing I did was to check the fuse for the fuel pump relay and that looked bad so I replaced it (with another fuse stolen from the board.) still nothing on the fuel pump though. I can't remember how much petrol was in the car and the fuel gauge no longer rooms to be registering anything. My question is if there is no fuel and the fuel pump is running dry is it silent? The usual thing to do would be go to buy some petrol and see if it stars up, I can't do that though as I'm on lock down, I have a friend who may be able to drop some off to me but not sure when that will be yet.

I would also check for 12v on the fuel pump to see if its getting any power from the battery but I can't do that either as I don't have a multimeter!!!!!! disaster zone so far!

Thanks in advance for any answers to my questions.

Back to the top
The fuel pump will make lots of noise with no fuel running through it.

The fuel pump relay has to get a cranking signal from the low tension side of the coil, this is a safety feature.
You can temporarily fire the fuel pump up with a fused and switched piece of wire. Pull the fuel pump relay and take note of the two large spades, you need to bridge them on the relay plate with the wire, the pump should run.

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
Thanks very much for that. Can I just bridge it without a fuse as I don't have one, or is that not a good idea?

Back to the top

vdubber2 said

Thanks very much for that. Can I just bridge it without a fuse as I don't have one, or is that not a good idea?

You can, just make sure that you can disconnect it quickly if required - if the pump runs then it will just circulate the fuel from and back to the tank

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
Thanks, I bridged it and nothing happened. I still heard a click from the fuse board though which I had assumed was the fuel pump relay before so I turned on the ignition and the fuel pump relay was definitely clicking as I could feel it. Should there be another relay that makes a clicking sound when the ignition is turned on?

I guess I now have to remove the fuel pump and connect to the battery positive and negative to make 100% thats the thing thats broken?

Thanks so much for the help!

Back to the top
Right so I disconnected the fuel pump and hooked it up to 12v and it didn't run it just got really hot and I couldn't hear a noise at all. So I've ordered another fuel pump, use to come next week at some point.

In the meantime I've begun stripping bits. I took off the bumper, wings and grill. I jet washed the inner wings and they look pretty good, little bit of rust which needs repairing but nothing major. The front valence needs re-doing so I've ordered one ready to weld on, its just the lower half that is affected so I just ordered the repair panel. cracking on. I want to get the engine running before I take it out as I just want to make sure its going to run before stripping and painting etc. I need to borrow and engine hoist if anyone lives and Tunbridge Wells and has one, Not hopeful but worth a shot!

Few pics just to show where I'm at, as I want to document everything I'm doing. image5.jpeg image6.jpeg image7.jpeg image8.jpeg image9.jpeg

Back to the top
That is some crust on that door there!
Looks pretty solid otherwise.
Hopefully the new pump will get you going.

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
Unfortunately the pictures are for once doing it justice, just about every panel needs work I'm sorry to say.

Back to the top
Are you doing the welding yourself? Looks like a nice example. :thumbs:How are the rear axle mounts?

Back to the top
yeah I'm going to do it myself. I haven't done a lot welding before and don't actually have a welder at the moment so thats first on the shopping list. I have been looking at engine hoists as I don't have a tree to winch my engine out from this time! I just want to get the new petrol pump on and make sure the engine is running ok before I strip it out and start prepping and repairing everything.

Rear axle mounts look ok! they're not rotten though but there is a bit of rust there so ill have to wait and see I guess on that one!

Back to the top
Can someone tell me what this is? I'm pretty sure its an old alarm but not sure? I don't think its hooked up anymore so may we remove it but would like someone to confirm before I do! thanks all, 1st few pics are the art I'm talking about.

Oh and started cleaning a few bits up as I got bored today, clearly not ready for that yet really. image0.jpeg image1.jpeg image2.jpeg image3.jpeg image4.jpeg image5.jpeg image6.jpeg image7.jpeg image8.jpeg

Back to the top
Looks like an of alarm to me mate

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
thanks, ill take it out tomorrow.

Back to the top
B8069587-155D-48DB-827F-1618AE81523E.jpeg I've got the engine and gearbox about and all is going well, inner wings stripped, block stripped and preparing it for paint.

Can someone tell me though on the grearbox where the speedo cable goes in, how would I blank it off so I can jet wash the gearbox. Obviously I don't want to get water in there? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.  BA277A87-156E-4D4D-B6B6-E8ECB9D0E889.jpeg

Back to the top
F65546A9-AA5D-4E3E-BFD7-FBC3FB5E1302.jpeg Sand blasted a few parts and just getting the engine scrubbed and ready for paint. Is Frosts Aluma blastmoknto usenon the head does anyone know? It's rated to 160 degrees I think so that should be ok shouldn't it?

My zinc playing kit came a few days ago but I'm still waiting for the water to go with it. Looking forward to playing all the nuts and bolts that I've sand blasted in readiness! Few pics of some of the bits I've done. 

8AF5C051-0BC2-49E5-847F-A2F92B130E74.jpeg 650B5C09-5254-456F-8C67-7EB170994F42.jpeg 18B965DB-F572-4236-B449-D4A8D96675F1.jpeg DADAC89D-ABEC-47E5-9C6E-E18AC2FE22D2.jpeg 01334403-5F10-40CE-B59E-43B91B77A41F.jpeg B2F09F62-76F0-47F6-AF3B-8C432349099E.jpeg 5B496EE0-9B10-4A54-9147-8FB02D594715.jpeg AA3BC839-20B6-4DE7-AE42-C5337E0DA625.jpeg

Last edit: by vdubber2

Back to the top
So, sand blasted a few parts and painted them.

Prepped the gearbox ready for paint which has taken 3 weeks to come so far!

Prepped the engine for paint enamel primered it and then painted it with the wrong colour!!! To say I'm disappointed is an under statement. I've ordered some black. But the block is now anthracite. So upset! 

51C01C02-1FEC-41E6-9975-72BA836EB2E1.jpeg 4EB919F1-8012-436E-A840-129571C0A8AB.jpeg 4376BEC9-EE12-44D5-A6E9-AE802E36F9F7.jpeg 0685DE72-912D-4D92-9DF1-ED60B9AC99AD.jpeg 9C085799-BFCC-4DEA-865A-9B76C7925876.jpeg 83F2F11F-1ADA-4322-A60F-B6C5C3328DA0.jpeg
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.