Skip navigation

Golf GTI can or clipper with engine swap?

Back to the top

nicci21paul said

but looks like an import

Does that just mean imported from Germany where it was made? Also someone else on the thread suggested from the data sticker  it was built in April 89 but according to the logbook which turned up yesterday it was first registered on the road in MARCH. 1989 🤷‍♂️
Could you take a quick butchers at the data sticker if you have any time today, and if I send you a pic of it or 
explain to me how I read what year and month it was made.
Or send me a link on how to etc.

I've never owned a golf before but bought it as a golf GTI
but my mate said it could've had an engine swap but there's no engine number to go off 🤦‍♂️🤣
It does have vented brakes the mfa and an injection engine though so they are good signs👍

And thanks dude 🙌

Back to the top
There's others out there, this is the first I found again.

http://home.clara.net/hallvw/dating.htm

You've the boot sticker and other info. in front of you that we don't have... work out the manufacturing date using it, it's pointless us trying to guess at things with only a part of the picture.

The date you get may be a day or two adrift of what it is according to VW themselves, but for your purposes that's immaterial.

Don't take what any V5C says as being 100% accurate, mistakes are made.

I'm for example trying to resolve the date of manufacture for my own 1983 car at the moment, it's showing as 1995 because of an error recorded almost 30 years ago on an old style log book.

Email VW UK here...
type.approval@vwg.co.uk

Give them your full details, the cars reg. number and its chassis number.

They will mail you back with a simple headed letter giving the date of manufacture, followed by a hard copy in the post, it's free.

Did the intake manifold show any numbers similar to the ones in the image I posted?

You say there's no engine number, does it show signs of having been removed or is it just illegible?

I can help you identify the manufacturing dates of the main parts of the injection system, but they're small and it'll mean you having to look properly / get your hands dirty.

I can't work from images taken a meter away from the front of the car.

Back to the top
Hi mate
Thanks for all your help and info 
I really appreciate it 👍
I will take some proper photos of the data sticker 
Intake manifold and bulk and try and get some of the k jet
Getting my hands dirty and up close.
And I will email those people 
Thanks again you are a star ⭐️ 

Got some better photos 
I have also put them through different filters on phone to write them down the pics aren't the best but could see the numbers with filters on better👍

Manifold: 040 133 923    (88 and 12 in circle)

Block: DX 133 040

Data sticker:
Ident: either 1598 15-3-8896 000 PP or 1598 15-3-8096 000 PP

V No: WVWZZZ15ZKK000002 (same as log book 👍)

Type: 154 14 34

Engine code: DX       ACD

Interior L90E.            TD?

IMG_0329.jpeg IMG_0335.jpeg IMG_0340.jpeg IMG_0345.jpeg IMG_0350.jpeg

When I said no engine number, I meant on the logbook
It says engine number not stated! 

Last edit: by Noclue

Back to the top
Some of the below I'm just mulling over, may be completely wrong, but might give you some starting points to pursue yourself… like I said earlier Cabrios aren't my thing so have never really taken an interest in their finer details.

There's obviously going to be some cross over with tin tops, so I may be able to help there.

The portion of data on the paper boot sticker that indicates the manufacturing date is within the top line, specifically in your case '15-3'… that denotes the 15th week of the year and the 3rd day of that week.

Don't get too bogged down with that at the moment, wait until you hear back to your email… I've since found the date VW (both UK and Germany) give is a day or two away from the one's I was getting using the on-line methods, have to assume VW know best so take theirs as correct.

Your car is 'K' (made by Karmann) and the other 'K' denotes the model year (1st Aug 1988 to 31 July 1989).

The 000002 chassis numbers would maybe suggest it was at the very start of that model years production, so close to the 1st  August 1988?

Cabrio experts will hopefully help us here, where bodies made by VW and then sent to Karmann to be finished?

Would there be some other circumstances that would account for a longer time between making the body and it finally being finished than there would be with hard tops?

ACD is your gearbox code, later I can show you how to check yours is that code and also date it.

L90E is your paint code… Alpine White.

TD (or whatever it turns out to be) is your interior trim code.

The letters 'PP' at the top right corner of your data sticker… after looking into this, its something I've maybe learned today too!

If I've understood correctly it denotes the destination of the car after its manufacture.

PP is 'Portugal, Porto Douro'.

My own car's sticker says 'HO' - which is Holland, that probably bears out as true as it was a personal import from Germany into GB from the factory.

Not saying it is, but if your car did come to the UK other than via VW GB might account for some of the DVLA dates not sitting with the others?

Your initial worry was you'd been sold what was originally a carburettor'd Clipper as an Injected GTI?

So far there's more to support it's a genuine GTi than not, but that's not to say a genuine car can't have had major / minor components changed over the years for whatever reason.

If its injection was added later the Bosch parts involved will have numbers on that I can date them by, if they come in around the other dates you would have a little more evidence to support things even more.

They're probably going to be awkward to see in some cases, specially while still on the car… if you're interested in going further let me know.

Something on the other side of the argument - If your car was converted to injection, that'd involve a head change as they're different (for example no injection ports on a carb. head) , but the block's I believe are identical?

If so and that happened it'd be likely the block is the original (which yours appears to be) with just an injected engines head added.

it's the manufacturing date on your head that seems like its much older than I'd expect, but I've only ever had a few heads pass through my hands and that's not a proper sample to be using as a guide… VW may well have stock-piled them, and I suppose 6 months isn't all that long a time to do it for… pure guess work on my part, so don't take it as based on anything.

Back to the top

bacardincoke said

Some of the below I'm just mulling over, may be completely wrong, but might give you some starting points to pursue yourself… like I said earlier Cabrios aren't my thing so have never really taken an interest in their finer details.

There's obviously going to be some cross over with tin tops, so I may be able to help there.

The portion of data on the paper boot sticker that indicates the manufacturing date is within the top line, specifically in your case '15-3'… that denotes the 15th week of the year and the 3rd day of that week.

Don't get too bogged down with that at the moment, wait until you hear back to your email… I've since found the date VW (both UK and Germany) give is a day or two away from the one's I was getting using the on-line methods, have to assume VW know best so take theirs as correct.

Your car is 'K' (made by Karmann) and the other 'K' denotes the model year (1st Aug 1988 to 31 July 1989).

The 000002 chassis numbers would maybe suggest it was at the very start of that model years production, so close to the 1st  August 1988?

Cabrio experts will hopefully help us here, where bodies made by VW and then sent to Karmann to be finished?

Would there be some other circumstances that would account for a longer time between making the body and it finally being finished than there would be with hard tops?

ACD is your gearbox code, later I can show you how to check yours is that code and also date it.

L90E is your paint code… Alpine White.

TD (or whatever it turns out to be) is your interior trim code.

The letters 'PP' at the top right corner of your data sticker… after looking into this, its something I've maybe learned today too!

If I've understood correctly it denotes the destination of the car after its manufacture.

PP is 'Portugal, Porto Douro'.

My own car's sticker says 'HO' - which is Holland, that probably bears out as true as it was a personal import from Germany into GB from the factory.

Not saying it is, but if your car did come to the UK other than via VW GB might account for some of the DVLA dates not sitting with the others?

Your initial worry was you'd been sold what was originally a carburettor'd Clipper as an Injected GTI?

So far there's more to support it's a genuine GTi than not, but that's not to say a genuine car can't have had major / minor components changed over the years for whatever reason.

If its injection was added later the Bosch parts involved will have numbers on that I can date them by, if they come in around the other dates you would have a little more evidence to support things even more.

They're probably going to be awkward to see in some cases, specially while still on the car… if you're interested in going further let me know.

Something on the other side of the argument - If your car was converted to injection, that'd involve a head change as they're different (for example no injection ports on a carb. head) , but the block's I believe are identical?

If so and that happened it'd be likely the block is the original (which yours appears to be) with just an injected engines head added.

it's the manufacturing date on your head that seems like its much older than I'd expect, but I've only ever had a few heads pass through my hands and that's not a proper sample to be using as a guide… VW may well have stock-piled them, and I suppose 6 months isn't all that long a time to do it for… pure guess work on my part, so don't take it as based on anything.

Hello mate sorry about the late reply.
Yeah I'm fairly certain going on the boot sticker saying DX
And the fact it has an injection engine and vented brakes and I think it has mfa computer thing 🤷‍♂️🤣
That it is a GTI even if the head wasn't  original 
I'm still waiting to hear back from VW
And will eventually send off for a birth certificate 
Then I will know for sure 
But it looks promising 👍
I think the whole import from Portugal thing is why there are hardly any details on the logbook!
(Weird to have a right hand drive car in Portugal?)

Anyway thanks for all your help and everyone else's help on this thread I have already learned a great deal 
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.