Skip navigation

DX to ABF conversion wiring

Back to the top

DX to ABF conversion wiring

you should be able to scan the immobiliser box, that'll tell you why its kickign in if it is. also put your ear to it, you should hear it click ignition on and also when you attempt to scan it or the ecu. does the led bulb on your cable light up when plugged in?

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
I just get "no response from controller' what ever I try to scan. Little light on lead comes on when I switch the ignition on.
I also heard the click from the little black box when I switch the ignition on, although no additional click when I attempt a scan even though the cable light is on…

Back to the top
I have also tested the continuity between the diagnostic block and pin 43 on ecu connector. I know ecu is working otherwise the engine wouldn't fire.
Stumped….  :(

Back to the top
hmm maybe immob box has died, have seen this before. if you disconnect it and loop a wire between the 2 grey wires on immob box plug you should then be able to scan the ecu. if that works immo box has packed in, if not either the vagcom cable is bust or the software/cable isnt setup quite right

I assuem you have gone thru the port setup in vagcom to see if it can see the cable at least

Back to the top
Ahh, you have given me a clue. All my grey wires are joined together. Does this mean I have got this bit wrong?
Should diagnistic connector grey go into box then out to ECU?

Yes, Vagcom sees my cable and port correctly. I'll try it on my van as it used to communicate with that, but I had the old 409 software then.

Thanks

Back to the top
ah no, this is incorrect. you should have 1 wire from immob box to the ecu diagnostics, and another from immob to the vagcom box. the immob box sits between the port and ecu in effect

Back to the top
pin 3 of the immob box goes to the diagnostic port, usually this one is grey. then pin 2 goes to the ecu, which is usually grey/white

Back to the top
Excellent. That's great that there is a problem with my wiring. Means I'm still in with a chance  :thumbs:

The question is whether I try and sort it when I get home tonight after putting several beers inside me…. :lol:

Thanks rubjonny. I'll sort it first chance I get.

Back to the top
You are the man rubjonny! She runs! Doesn't tick over though  :( 
Ill leave that for tomorrow night now. Hopefully the diagnostics will work  :thumbs:
Thanks

Back to the top
if it'll go when revs held up then that would suggest isv, but with a working vagcom hopefully the problem will become clear ;)

Back to the top
Great. Stays running with revs up. Are isv's fixable, or just replace? Where is best place to get them?
Thanks.

Back to the top
try cleaning it to start with, plus make sure it hums/vibrates with the ignition on. there is also a throttle matching procedure you can do which may help. This thread details this along with idle switch tests plus has proper abf label files:
http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?199583

Back to the top
She runs and idles great. Isv was jammed.
Sweat!
Thanks for all your help getting me this far rubjonny.

Back to the top
excellent  :cool:

Back to the top
More questions… :)
Regarding the Lambda. LS03 or LS06? I know you said LS03, but I contacted the seller of these LS03 universal ones, and they said I need LS06.
Do you know what the difference is?
Thanks

Back to the top
LS06 is for ABF with CAT, LS03 is for ABF without CAT. The difference is LS06 has lower wattage lambda heater, due to the fact the CAT gets really hot in use. without cat, you need more heating power to get it up to temp, the sensor inside is the same for both (in fact most if not all narrowband lambda sensor are same, just packaging, thread, heater and number of wires that differ)

LS06 will prob work fine really, just take slightly longer for the lambda to fully warm

edit: and yes, VW did make MK3s without cats in some countries :)

Back to the top
Thanks for the explaination rubjonny. Makes perfect sense. LS03 will be ordered.
Thanks

Back to the top
Hi I just to say I have read tis feed from end to end a few times.
and by doing this I have managed to wire up my abf in my 88 dx gti.
and it fired 1st time once I put the live on the correct pin 🙈.
great work by the rubjihny. I have a few little niggles but very close.
Many thanks again all the way from New Zealand. 
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.