Skip navigation

GTI Mk1 1983, does a MotoMeter instrument cluster have the L shaped circuit board for low oil pressure & buzzer please?

Back to the top
Hi,

As per the subject line does the MotoMeter cluster from a Mk1 1983 Mk1 Golf Campaign have the L shaped circuit board that triggers the warning light & buzzer please?, I have the cluster out already but wanted to check before I risk breaking it by taking it apart just to find out that it doesn't have it.;)I'm pretty sure the issues I have are electrical as the light & buzzer are sounding with the ignition on but prior to starting the engine, engine runs fine - no nasty noises etc.

I'm hoping that the issues are just dry joints on the circuit board as I've read this can be a cause, if not is there a usual component that fails or can complete replacement boards still be sourced?

Are there any tutorials as to how to disassemble an instrument cluster to get to the L shaped board?

Mods, I didn’t join up just to post a question, I was a member before (TonyP) but couldn’t remember my password & I never got the password reset emails.:(Tony

Back to the top
Hi @lazymogs,
Would you like your accounts merged and go back to TonyP?
The motometer and VDO boards are not interchangeable from my experience.

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
Hi Ade,

So are you saying there is a similar L shaped board within the MotoMeter cluster that's also prone to giving similar faults to the VDO one?, I'd really like to know before I pull this cluster apart.

Re username merging, potentially yes please, but (a) I don't think I was very active as TonyP & (b) I still wouldn't know the password for it as I  never got any password reset emails to the original email address for TonyP.

If it's possible to merge usernames TonyP & lazymogs but keep the email associated with the lazymogs username that'd work  ;)

Back to the top
The boards are the same between the MotoMeter, and VDO, however I don't think the 83 had that installed at least not on this side of the pond.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
TonyP  - merge completed and email address retained from lazymogs.

My own experience of swapping the two branded boards over was that it did not work - this was on 16V Mk2 clocks though.

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
Thanks Ade, now back in against my original username  :thumbs:

ok, so there is an L shaped PCB in my cluster, I just need to work out what's wrong with it.

A quick look over with an eye loupe doesn't show up any obvious dry joints, I may swap out the capacitors & see if these are causing the issues, capacitors are the most likely components to have aged over time.

If I cant resolve this does anyone have a MotorMeter branded board I can buy from them please? - I'm assuming that they are not available from aftermarket sources or VW dealerships?

Tony

Back to the top
I was hopeful for a second, one of the two 10uF capacitors was reading half the capacity that it should (verified with an LCR meter whilst off the PCB) replaced both anyway & resoldered any joints that might have been iffy but alas - still that pesky buzzer  :(

So I'm definitely after a MotorMeter L shaped circuit board or if anyone knows for sure if a VDO one works for a Mk1 Golf 1.8 GTI then I'd be interested in buying one please.

Tony
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.