83 GTi - finally starting to rebuild!
#1339639 (In Topic #163913)
Thought I'd share my project with you, it's been a long time in the making!
The car in question is an '83 GTi which I have owned since about 1992. I ran it for a few years until bits went wrong and I decided to take it off the road, and not put it back on again until it was all sorted.
That was about 17 years ago.
I did absolutely nothing on it for about 6 years, then had flurry of activity and stripped it down and replaced some suspension bit's and pieces. Then put it back on axle stands and covered it up again.
A couple of years ago I had to move it from my folks garage, and it ended up, via a friends garage, in my very tiny garage. That's when I started on the body work. My intention was to do as much as I could (which was mainly filling in dents as it was in very good nick) and then just give it to someone to paint - money is always an issue!
After two years of very slow progress I figured I'd done as much as I could and set about finding someone that would paint it for me. In the end it was done through a friend of a friend for a sensible sum of money. He re-did most of my work as it wasn't up to his standard. I think his quote was "I don't know what you do for a living, but your probably very good at it. I'm very good at what I do." A very subtle dig if ever I heard one"
I now have the car back - and it looks lovely - really really happy with it. I can't recommend Darren enough, so if you are based around Leeds/Bradford he's worth taking to - http://www.kapsuzuki4x4.co.uk/
So after 17 years I'm starting to put it back together - due to restricted garage space my first priority is to get the watertight so I can move it outside so I have space for engine building and all the other little jobs!
I've resprayed the window guides, cleaned all the rubbers up and got the glass in both sides. I've got the tailgate sticker to go on, then I can get rear and front screen in.
My plan is to have it finished before April next year - gotta be realistic!
After (my Daughter approves!)
More to follow - although don't expect daily updates!
Car got painted, glass refitted, rear hatch decal fitted - then we moved house so it was all stop for a while.
Last year my time was mainly spent going from this:
Finishing with this:
This year I've managed to get my Mk3 servo fitted, along with a T5 master cylinder, run the front brake lines and part of the rear, fitted the Audi carriers and calipers, 16v discs, eventually getting the right pads!
Engine had some machining done last year (it's not the original, that ate itself and couldn't be salvaged), it's got oversize pistons (std. oversize) and been fully balanced.
Painted up with new core plugs:
managed to get the crank in last night.
Pistons next when my ring pliers and ring compressor arrive (lost the last ones).
I'll try and keep this thread up to date (when progress is being made!). I should add that I'm not going to the level of detail that some of the other excellent builds are going to, as I'd never get it finished. I also think if I made it too perfect, I'd never want to drive it!
Thanks for reading!
Much much later:
Next thing I need to do is get the block back off the stand so I can fit the clutch-end crank seal, so I can get the sump fitted, then it's on to getting the head on.
New water-pump fitted, intermediate shaft in, crank sprocket on, and last night, got the head back on! Starting to look like an engine now.
Need to get the engine mount bush pressed in and then I can get the timing belt stuff sorted out.
Sorry about some of the pics being dark - it's because I only have time to work on it at night!
Inlet manifold cleaned up, all new hose clips, fitted.
After and fitted:
Also cleaned up the exhaust manifold (citric acid is wonderful stuff). Had to replace a snapped stud in the manifold, that was a PITA, just glad I have a pillar drill. I only painted it because I didn't want it going all rusty again too quickly.
Cleaned up the dizzy, got that on - I'm still trying to source some new spring clips as the current ones are a bit worse for wear. New water pump as well.
Got my brake lines plumbed in to the MC, including the new colour coded residual pressure valves.
Cleaned up the timing belt cover, couldn't find the one that was on my engine (which wasn't in bad nick) so had to use the one that was on my donor engine. It had been brush painted - thickly - so that took some doing. Just need to spray it up and then fit it. At which point I think I'll get the engine in the car (with a support beam) and turn my attention to gearbox and driveshafts.
Slow and steady!
on the inlet manifold looking
nicci21paul saidcould have spent a bit more time
on the inlet manifold looking
The problem is - I wouldn't know where to stop, make one thing really nice, and then something else doesn't look as good, and before you know I'm in to the same territory as some of the other chaps on here with their super clean and tidy builds! Don;t get me wrong, they look excellent, but I have neither the time, patience, or money. I kind of like the idea of it looking used but clean if you know what I mean! I looked at getting it soda blasted but that would be £40 that I can spend on parts, plus I'm trying to as much as I can myself.
1 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.