Skip navigation

1100 mk1, full rebuild

Back to the top

1100 mk1, full rebuild

well i have always been interested in the legendary mark 1 shape and when this one came up locally on ebay i jumped at the oppertunity even with the vast amount of work that was needed, also without consulting my dad who would be showing me how to do most of it anyway which didnt put him in the best of moods to begin with.

but at the bargain price of £350 with around 56k on the clocks i didnt think it was in bad conditon which i soon realised was a lie.

i bought the car knowing that the vast majority of the work was going to be bodywork but didnt really think about the cost involved in it but i went ahead an bought it anyway so in late october '10 i went and collected my baby. a twenty minute drive, a smashed windscreen and £350 out of pocket i returned home with my very own golf :)

when i bought it there was barely any car left, no front wings or valence, barely any inner wings, sills or arches, but on the plus side the floor pan was mint and the engine ran like a beauty.

but anyway, down the the pictures.

i never relly thought about taking pictures of how it looked when i bought  it and reget that now but this is the oldest i have which isnt that bad really.

a set of new wings and front valence bolted on transofrmed the car completely.

oh yeah and i forgot to mention, i was lucky enough to be able to store the golf in a massive workshop with every tool i would ever need to get it back to roadworthy condition which was a bonus

decided while we was working up front to give the enigine bay a lick of paint to spruce it up abit

sorry about the jumping between stages as we go through, i didnt really take enough images while i was working unfortunatly.

with my dad been a mechanic i decided to leve the important stuff to him, so while he checked everything was in tip top condition engine wise i decided to spruce that up aswell. damn near everything was replaced to make sure it ran like new, most importantly the sump which the previous owner decided to fix with what appeared to be a fibreglass mixture, not the best idea in the world.

oh and i came across a bargain for 99p, some nice new brake calipers as they where siezed solding and naffed after been sat for 2 years.

dropped the engine back into its rightful place and started to work backwards on the car, next up, some nice new sills (excuse the grafetti on the side of the car, this was my dad being funny thinking it looked like a banger racer.

oh and as you may be able to tell, i aquired some coilovers for christmas as this point so its sat abit lower.

i will post abit more up later on or tommorow when my computer decides to accept my phone is plugged in to it.

Back to the top

Back to the top

foxymk1 said

Good start pal wat colour are you thinking of?

foxy

its nearly finished now mate iv only just got around to making a thread to see what people think though
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.