Skip navigation

1982 Golf GLi (convertible), very original

Back to the top
This will be of interest to some:

https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/1982-volkswagen-golf-mk1-gli-convertible

Looks to be in good original condition. Collecting Cars website hasn't been updated with the description yet, so its just some basic details and pictures at the moment.

(Link now fixed)

Last edit: by paul_c

Back to the top
Link not working?

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top

Whip
/wip/
Noun - Car

When the steering wheel was first put into use in automobiles, it was called the whip. The term has now been generalised to classify any automobile.

Back to the top
Tis a thing of beauty. Think they need more pics though

Back to the top

Early-1800 said

Tis a thing of beauty. Think they need more pics though

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Look at pic 76… Top mounts are shot, I expect some knocking from the front when you drive it…

I wonder if it has a current MOT?

Just spotted the speakers cut into the door cards…. oh why did they do that?
Passenger door has door pocket and it’s missing from the drivers side?

I thought the GLi should have the MFA instruments which this one does not… perhaps the clocks have been changed? I could be wrong….

Last edit: by mark1gls

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting

Back to the top
AFAIK the GLi, at least in 1982, doesn't have the MFA.

I noticed the pocket on one side and not the other. Its clear its an unrestored car with some 'patina' and some imperfections, for example the grey bumpers are not a consistent colour - but then none are! At least it still has the headlamp washers and all the correct chrome trim on it. And the boot has paint scratches etc. And its >100k miles.

From the pics, I don't know if its been restored before - for example, at 38 years old, it could have been restored/renovated at 20, then another 20 or so years have passed. A great condition original is more valuable than a restored car, but they are rare - someone would have needed to store and not use the car etc…

It will be interesting to see what this sells for.

Back to the top
The speakers into the door are 'period' we did the same with 4inch(?) round speakers in bottom of door card of my brothers X reg Golf C.

Being a late 1600 there would not have been a MFA.

Looking at pics it appears to be a more of a big recommision rather than a a full blown restoration, a mega service inc all fluids and go thru brakes/suspension/electrics refurbing or replacing anything suspect like the aforementione top mounts.

Then enjoy simple wind in the hair motoring in an original car wearing its patina with pride

Back to the top
I've just bought one in the same colour. I'll go through the pictures later. I also have door speakers cut in but also have the invoice from the 80s. I notice one door capping is cracked. Also I'm always a fan of 666 plates but as mine came with a private plate which was put on in the late 80s I'll keep it for the minute.

Back to the top
The buying costs are a bit steep for this end of the market, hope the lucky buyer spots he's got £600 to add on top (I'm assuming it will make less than £8,000)

BUYER'S PREMIUM
6% (minimum £600, maximum £6,000, includes VAT)

Back to the top
Now with full description and bidding started.  The link has changed to https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/1982-volkswagen-golf-mk1-gli-cabriolet

Back to the top
£4800 sale price… about the price I would expect so let's see if it appears on here..?

Back to the top

mark1gls said

£4800 sale price… about the price I would expect so let's see if it appears on here..?

£5,400 with the commission, quite a bit less than what a similar age and condition hatch would bring?

Back to the top
As the car is wearing most it's original paint and un restored it adds to it's value.

To me an unrestored car is worth more than one that's been taken to bits then replaced and re painted every single inch of it….  :thumbs:

Back to the top
It sold for £4800 so I'm pleased with what mine cost.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.