Skip navigation

020 CAE Shifter

Back to the top
Has anyone got experience with one?

They obviously look nice and fancy, but… Actual use wise any good? https://cae-racing.de/CAE-Ultra-Shifter_2509

Fit/ install I imagine can't be too bad either? Perhaps fiddly dialling in the rod parts, as always

At the end of my tether with my linkage … No reverse unless it feels like it! Nuclear option… But fit once ..

Cheers
Adam.

'83 MK1 Golf GTI
'02 Land Rover Discovery 2 Td5
'08 Audi S3 2.0 16v TFSI

Back to the top
Well if you are for the sporty shifter non-oem style and have monies to burn.

But you can get the same effect from Missinglinkz that is oem, and works as well.

You can replace all the links that are nylon with the better version.

I have used their weighted add on billet and short shifter on my 90 5speed manual and well it increased the feel of the throw, and more positive engagement on the gears, it also took the 5th gear out of the middle of the seat on my passenger side.  

The whole conversion kit is a lot less monies, and well a vast improvement over OEM.  As I didn't have to modify the interior for a "Erector" set version it was nice.

https://www.4crawler.com/Diesel/ForSale/ShiftLinkage.shtml

besure that if you go the linkage route that you get a 4spd or a 5spd kit as the linkages are different.  

If you get the short shifter kit and the weighted billet only It takes about 10 minutes to install from the top of the car.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top

020 CAE Shifter

Thanks for the positive review of them Brian.

I must admit I saw a video for it last night, but was put off by the website; little hard to follow, on a phone screen anyway.

The only other I've seen is USRT? Spoke to the chap and found him, a little standoff .. and a little rude, so discounted on that basis .. since it's not a trivial task buying/ trusting and importing

It will workout a lot cheaper and be an OEM style fix, so worth a try first, plus seems a bit cheaper than the aforementioned

As an aside .. I get my gear 1-5 just fine, but reverse is rather hit and miss/ tricky, and not there when needed. Basically feels like where first gear should be. Is there a trick - it's set to 15mm gap, but it feels like it should be slightly bigger! So reverse is more to where you'd 'think' it should be

'83 MK1 Golf GTI
'08 Audi S3 2.0 16v TFSI

Back to the top
There is a good how to on the adjustment to set the 15mm involving a Cassette Tape Case or Cassette itself.

There is also the reverse gear lock out repair for the Stop finger, as if your stop finger plastic is broken then you get a weird feel.

Over the years of ownership of my Diesel is that unless I was stopped and then went from first to Rev it usually worked every time.

http://cabby-info.com/Files/RepairingStopFinger.pdf

The Adjust is at the bottom of the link.
http://cabby-info.com/Files/ShifterLinkageGuide_5speed.pdf

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Have a look at my build thread for my hack to set the gap, and keep it whst you bolt the linkage up. I made a spacer block, but a 15mm nut will do the job.

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To

Back to the top
Towards the end...

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To

Back to the top

020 CAE Shifter

Thanks for the pointer, it does seem a good way to do it. My verniers are quite clumsy… And keeping it still whilst you tickets always made it more stressful than it should be

It'd not even crossed my mind to get a clamp in on the action… I think I'll be off to the local hardware shop today for one

'83 MK1 Golf GTI
'08 Audi S3 2.0 16v TFSI

Back to the top

020 CAE Shifter

Update, after buying items to accurately produce a 15mm piece, and mini speed clamps to hold the selector

My friend had a look and determined a bit of play on the relay ball. I duly followed the advice given and hammered the flat tang of the ball piece with the peen end of the hammer to reform it

Bolted it up, made sure it was tight. Low and behold the reverse issue was gone, as the play was eliminated the full travel was allowed and reverse was found. 1 - 5 also feel more positive

All that said, the weighted shifter and uprated bushings are still on the agenda, as I noticed a bit of play in them once warm.

Thanks all.

'83 MK1 Golf GTI
'08 Audi S3 2.0 16v TFSI

Back to the top
CAE shifter very short throw and notchy....not nice to use unless driven at ten tenths.

www.jmrclubsport.com
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.