Skip navigation

1983 Black GTi Restoration UPDATED!

Back to the top

*1983 Schwartz Black GTi Restoration* UPDATED!

Hello People,
I've been using this site for a while for help and advice and it has been excellent in every way possible, i brought my mk1 Golf GTi in April 2006 i had been looking for a nice clean example for a while for a full restoration and my main criteria was that i wanted a Schwartz Black Series 2 model with a Factory sliding sunroof, after travelling many miles and looking at quite a few different cars in the end i found a car in Tunbridge Wells it was in a Stateley Home and had been in a barn covered up since 2000, the car was a 1983 1.8 GTi in Schwartz Black with a factory sliding sunroof, green tinted glass and was 100% standard and not modified in any way which also appealed to me.
It had headlamp washers which i'm not that keen on at all and an awful Kamei bonnet scoop but these could all be removed easily enough, it had lots of service history with it and all the original keys etc and with a new battery it started up 1st time lovely!!
It ticked all the boxes for me and i knew this was the right car so i had it transported back home to Leicester where it went straight into my garage.
Over the past 18 months i began to strip the car down as much as possible as i want this resto to be a proper job and also used this time to souce all the new parts that would eventually go onto the car when it was finished, the local VW garage have got to know me quite well over these last few months!
When it comes to Paintwork and Bodywork i have had SO many bad experiences in the past i could write a whole thread about it where i have had bad, dodgy or rough work done, having to keep taking my cars back as i was not happy with the work etc so i knew that i wanted to find someone who would do the best paint job possible and take a lot of care in the work they do.
After many months of considering my options and speaking to various people of where to take my car i got chatting to 'Timski' on here, i looked at his previous posts and his work on mk1 GTi's and it really was top notch i could also tell from when we spoke that this was the person that i wanted to work on my car he certainly knows his stuff about mk1's and his attention to detail is superb.
I know there must be many bodyshops who would have done my car nearer to me but sometimes if you want the best you have to travel and this is what i am doing i'm hoping my faith in Bodyshops will be restored!!
So on Thursday night my car was picked up from my house and taken down to his workshop in Surrey to begin my restoration, below are a few pictures of my car the day i brought it and this thread will be updated with pictures and a summary as the resto continues…………

Last edit: by Fozzie

1983 VW Golf GTi Black (Resto)
2009 AUDI Q5 3.0 TDi (Daily)
2007 AUDI A4 Avant TDi S-Line SE (Daily)

Back to the top
looks a v good base there - look forward to seeing the progress

Back to the top
thats the only gti ive seen with headlamp washers like my GL,

it definitely looks like its got potential!

Back to the top
ah Tim will definetely sort you out, he sprayed my car as well, seen here…
http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=18090&start=0

got new wing, door, rear inner and outer arches, and awesome respray,

i've worked with tim and know that hes bloody picky about his work, takes alot of cars down to bare metal or original primer even if its only a blowover due to serious amounts of bodging going on on most mk1s, they come out looking straighter than a pin, i should know, mine was utterly riddled with dents down the side/sills and all along the boot, now its nice and straight albeit slightly singed!

look forward to that bonnet scoop going, should be a nice car, whats your plans for it?

Josh

Back to the top
Thanks for those kind words Josh (the brown envelope is where i normally put it lol)
Here are some pics of the car as she came from Fozzie….

After i had a quick look around i got my trusty pokey stick out to see if there was any gremlin rust about…

This was the worst rust scab on the car which on first inspection is very solid.
Out came my die grinder and whipped off the scab to see how bad it was underneath..

The rust has eaten into the steel fairly deeply so i will be blasting this out next week then rust treating it before i continue.
As it had rained so much the night before the car was a tad wet so after bailing out the water and the ducks swimming about inside i noticed the the black bitumin sound deadening was looking worse for wear so i decided to chip it all off which i nearly always do after finding this on one of the first Golfs i ever did..

Luckily for Fozzie i think we got it just in time

More pics to come next week as i`m finishing a Campaign off at the moment for another forum member

keep on keeping on

Back to the top
looks good….ahhh and i remember those Kamei bonnet scoops!!  i have one somewhere :roll:  foxymk1 was after it but i cant find it at the mo. give him a shout if your selling it :wink:

92 Sportline in Flash Red, Standard **SOLD**

91 G60 Corrado in Aqua Blue pearl

91 Rallye Golf, Tornado Red, AMD tuned to 220bhp 227 flb torque 9j x16 Borbet B alloys

1985 B Alpine white mk2 Golf Gti

Back to the top
Spent  a day rubbing down the old paintwork,as usual its been messed about with having been resprayed at somepoint..

After a bit of a struggle i managed to get the wings off as someone had glued the buggers on!! :cry:

keep on keeping on

Back to the top
If they are not broken, I'll give you a tenner for the bonnet scoops!

PM me if you're interested.

Back to the top
Should keep you out of trouble!

Those bonnet scoops are so wrong! what were they thinking back then.

1981 1.6 GTI - Work in Progress
www.thephirm.co.uk

Back to the top
Thought i`d better update one of my latest jobs.
After rubbing the topcoat from Fozzies car i discovered it has been sprayed with a filler putty  and to say it was very deep would be an understatement so i took the plunge and decided to strip the paint off completely so i took her home to my messy garage  to make even more mess!

Once all the paint was nitromorsed i took her back to the workshop to start stripping her down and starting the repairs.

keep on keeping on

Back to the top
As you can see from the picture its been repaired before,the passenger side has had a arch put in very badly so i`ll grind the old filler out and re skim the whole panel to get it straight.

keep on keeping on

Back to the top
On the drivers side i discovered its had a complete rear quarter panel and again it wasnt a great repair so i`m grinding out all the old filler and re-do the panel again .

The passenger door also had lots of filler in it so thats going in the bin and a mint one replacing it  :)

keep on keeping on

Back to the top
mmm steely goodness

Back to the top
I love the smell of filler dust in the morning  :o Amazing what it will cover up .

Nice job your doing .

Back to the top
some quality work taking place, which is always nice to see  8)

keep the updates coming.

Back to the top
Looking good Tim!!
Top work as i expected, let me know when is best for me to come down to see you mate?
Keep up the updates and the good work!
:)

1983 VW Golf GTi Black (Resto)
2009 AUDI Q5 3.0 TDi (Daily)
2007 AUDI A4 Avant TDi S-Line SE (Daily)

Back to the top
As you can see from the picture the upper rear quarter had filler in it so ground it all out to see what was underneath just in case….
Before..

After…

As you can see in the picture there is a weld across the panel where they have welded in a new rear quarter but they didnt treat the steel while putting it in and rust has set on the roof joint.I`v already ground out as much as i can get at so i then get my trusty spot blaster out to get right into the joint  :)

Here you can see the spot blaster up close in action.

Hopefully on this pic you can see the patches where the grit has taken off the rust..

keep on keeping on

Back to the top
8O Awesome work.

Are you interested in doing mine  :D

See my sig :D

Wanted : Body Restorer - Hampshire

My name is Johnny and I hate jazz.

Back to the top

Johnny_Hates_Jazz said

8O Awesome work.

Are you interested in doing mine  :D

See my sig :D
Course mate,whereabouts are you in Hampshire as i live on the border?

keep on keeping on

Back to the top

good job!

I have a same problem with my Mk1. The floor panel is rust. How do you fix them?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.