Skip navigation

Cabriolet GLi

Back to the top
Hello Mk1 owners!

I am about to help a friend purchase a 1990 Mk 1 Cabriolet GLi and would like to ask some newbie questions.  I have a Mk 5 TSi twincharge but many things have improved since the 90s…

1. Specifications.  This car has power steering, a motorised roof, and all disc-brakes.  I don't believe this is common.  I know PS was offered as an option, but were the others offered from the factory as well?

2. Engine Oil Leak.  The car leaks badly.  What are common areas of leak?

3. Loose Gear Shifter Linkage.  The gear shift is very vague and the centering is very weak.  All gears engage well, and there doesn't seem to be any popping out.

4. High Clutch Biting Point.  I suspect the clutch is on its way out.  Does the engine need to be out to replace the clutch assembly?

5. Power Steering. The assistance isn't linear.  It starts very assisted, then tapers off suddenly the more you turn.

6. Brakes. Spongy, probably needs to be bled.

7. Immediate Fixes.

a) Off the bat, the timing belt cover needs to be reattached
b) There are tons of wires/relays coming from the battery positive terminal.  God knows what they do.
c) There's a 1" tear on the roof just below the rear glass.  Enough for water to enter.
d) Front windows don't work
e) Don't bring up the non-stock steering wheel….

Thanks for reading through them.  Any guidance would be appreciated so that I can total up the bill to get this car to be loved again.

PHOTO-2021-10-10-13-10-36 1.jpg

PHOTO-2021-10-10-13-10-36.jpg

PHOTO-2021-10-10-13-10-37 1.jpg PHOTO-2021-10-10-14-31-22.jpg

PHOTO-2021-10-10-15-14-16.jpg  

PHOTO-2021-10-10-15-14-22.jpg

Back to the top
Not 100% sure for a car from Singapore but in the UK 1990 cars standard to have an electric roof and electric windows.
Rear brake discs is not standard.
Can't help with power steering as not available in the UK.
Oil leak - where is the oil leak? Top middle or bottom?
Gear linkage - you can buy a set of new bushes to replace the worn out ones.
Clutch - could just need adjustment, there should be 10mm of free play at the top of the pedal.
If you need a new clutch you can drop the gearbox off the engine to change the clutch, coupe hours of work to change.
Brakes - change the brake fluid if you don't know how old it is, DOT 4 is what you need.

Never seen a main battery earth going to the bolt of the front strut… That's not where they normally go.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top

Cabriolet GLi

Hi and welcome
Your car has had some modifications by the looks of it.
The power window switches should be identical to the power roof with just with a different logo showing windows.
So I’m guessing they are aftermarket addition.
Generally post 1990 cabs came with power tops in the U.K. however in the USA it seems to be more of a rarity.
Different countries had different requirements from car manufacturers so in the USA 3 point seat belts were a must whilst in the U.K. they were simple lap belts.
I’m wondering why you’re calling it a GLi?
That version was way before the 90’s.
They tended to offer the 1.6 engine and only had the 1.8 as standard I believe by 1983.
So yours looks to be a later one with airbags too.
Power steering on a right hand drive car is a rare thing. As generally it was designed for left hand drive cars.
So some people will take stuff off other cars and mod it to fit. So I’d be asking if it’s factory fitted or a later add on.
Whilst your doing the roof it makes sense to replace all the material underneath it as you cannot swap a headliner without removing the roof anyway.
Headliners yellow with age become brittle as the plastic dries out.
The middle section rots away.
The PVC roofs suffer from UVA Sunlight attack which thinks them a d they too go brittle and split.
I’d also check the rear window frame for rot too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.