Skip navigation

What is This GTI?

Back to the top

Can Anyone Help Me To Identify This Car?

Hi there,
A few years back I bought a Mark 1 Golf GTi. Bought it as these cars seemed under-priced that a Mk I was hard to get hold of.
I've done a bit of research since owning the car but without much success.
The previous owner said he thought that the car may have been bought by a soldier who subsequently brought it back to the UK. This may be correct but I can see nothing on the registration documents to say it is an import.
The car is registered as a 1992 Y reg and the engine as a1598.
The registration shows no indication of the car as being an import. There are two things that are unusual about it. Firstly, this is a 5-speed car. Secondly, the car has a twin headlight front, as far as I know, these GTi's had single headlamps, although this could be an after-market fitting.
I'm told that the car has matching engine and chassis numbers but don't know where these are on the car to check.
If nobody knows any further details for me to continue the research, could you point me in the direction of somebody who may be able to help?
I'd also like to get an indication of valuation, but again, wouldn't know who to approach.
Any information gratefully received.

Back to the top

What is This GTI?

Don’t think they have matching numbers, unless you mean they match whats on the log book.
But the chassis number wont match the engine number to my knowledge.
Imports generally have a black clip on the inside under the back side glass for a seat belt clip. But not always.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regards Volkswarren

X2 1983 A REG EW CAMPAIGN In WHITE(Awaiting full rebuild solid body) :thumbs: & T Reg S1 GTi Project, Still Looking for Series 1 GTi's or a 16S Oettinger to restore (Complete Cars only)  or an A reg Lhasa Green or White Gti to restore, also consider  Black, Red or Blue, Also Golf Driver Project Wanted anything considered WHY

Back to the top
Can't see a black clip and I was wrong about the twin headlight front: single heads.

I'm trying to figure out how to transfer pics from my iphone to my macbook so you can see some piccies.

But why would it be a 5 speed car? It also has a weird-looking sunroof which I dont like and would change to a webasto.

Back to the top

What is This GTI?

You can add a pic straight from your iphone if you use tapatalk app

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Regards Volkswarren

X2 1983 A REG EW CAMPAIGN In WHITE(Awaiting full rebuild solid body) :thumbs: & T Reg S1 GTi Project, Still Looking for Series 1 GTi's or a 16S Oettinger to restore (Complete Cars only)  or an A reg Lhasa Green or White Gti to restore, also consider  Black, Red or Blue, Also Golf Driver Project Wanted anything considered WHY

Back to the top
The only country to my knowledge that produced Mk1 Golfs in 1992 was South Africa.  (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Citi_Golf)

There was only a 1.8 CTi (GTI continuation) in 1992, not a 1.6.

Let us know when you get the pics sorted then we'll try to help.

Current Mk1's
1992 VW Citigolf CTi 1.8i (SA)

Previous MK1's
2006 VW Velociti 1.6i (UK)
1992 VW Mk1 Golf Clipper 1.8 carb (UK)
2000 VW Mk1 Citigolf Life 1.6i (SA)
1991 VW Mk1 Citigolf Sport 1.8 carb (SA)
1983 VW Golf Mk1 GTS 1.6 carb (SA)

Back to the top
Do you mean 1982 y reg? if so it could be a 1.6 or 1.8, a 5 speed box would be correct for that year, and i believe  mk1,s were brought back by military persons about that time,,,
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.