Skip navigation

Need advice in respect of importing Mk1 Hatchback/Mk1 UTEss

Back to the top

Would like some information and possibility a re f

Hi there,

I recently helped a friend with importing a Mk1 Golf to England from South Africa and realized there was quite the demand for the little Mk1,

Just for some background, he is from Weston Super Mare in England and I'm from Cape Town, South Africa, we met through mutual friends on the internet in 2018.

Since then we have become very good friends, up to the point where I helped buy and exported another friend's 1998 Mk1 to him (Pic attached)

Image-067.jpg

He managed to get it registered and insured in the UK without hassle and enjoyed it for quite some time before selling it off again,

When we got around to talking how much he sold it for, the amount was quite staggering, basically double the cost of the car with the import cost included.

Naturally this got me thinking, in South Africa, the Mk1 Golf was manufactured from 1984 for 25 years up to 2009, leading them to being one of the most common cars on our roads across all years and ranges, and also one of the most accessible cars.

So finally what I would like to know from anyone who might be able to answer the following:

1: Is there a viable demand for Mk1 Golfs in the UK, specifically South African Spec Mk1s? (There are multiple differences/similarities across all years)
2: What is the general price for a a Mk1 Golf (UTEs and Hatchbacks) in the UK across all conditions/specs?
3: Can you recommend any person/company who would have a legitimate interest in importing Mk1 Golfs to the UK.

Any and all advice would be appreciated. Cheers
Emile

Image-073.jpg

Image-071.jpg
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.