Skip navigation

1980 series 1

Back to the top

Ready for the road

Hi,
This is my series 1 1.6 1980 Gti.
All ready for the road!
Purchased new by my late father in late 79.
One of the very first batch of 5 speed delivered to UK
He's been off the road since 1987.
Recommisioned him over the last few months.
Never had any bodywork or paint all original.
Only 30k miles.

Hope you like
Dave

IMG_20210430_1536055~2.jpg

Last edit: by Dave Newport

Back to the top
wow, just needs a few more pics posting up

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
Staggering:wub:! probably the lowest mileage original series 1 Gti's?
Please send more pics.

Enjoy it buddy.

Marcus.

Back to the top
Simply ace! Dream car
Fingers crossed for a dry summer.

Paul.

Back to the top
A little history on Wolfgang the GTi.

My late Dad purchased him new in September 1979 from W H Jervis and Sons of Stoke on Trent.
He was then driven back to Bristol on trade plates and stored in the garage until the 1st January 1980.
So he is a 1980 year model registered on the 1/1/1980.
When Dad was purchasing the car, the 1980 year models were very short supply.
From what I remember at the time, only 5 were available, 2 black, 2 silver and 1 Mars Red.
Other than the Volkswagen Press Car in Mars Red, it is believed that this could be the earliest series 1 Mars Red 1.6 5 speed 1980 model in the UK.

Wolfgang was put to sleep in the workshop mid 1987 when Dad was offered a Mk2 16v at a price he couldn't turn down.

Just before he went into hibernation, Dad had replaced the brake rubber lines with stainless, fitted gas Bilstein shocks all round, fitted new cylinders and shoes to the rear and fitted new Tarrox discs and pads to the front.

Wolfgang also made several visits to the great GTi Engineering where he was treated to their 4 branch manifold, a modified cam and warm up regulator (fitted with a vacuum pipe?). He also received a full stainless exhaust system by Double D.

January this year I decided to remove Wolfgang from his big sleep in memory of my late Dad.

With the aid of a couple of trolley jacks, he was moved from the corner of the workshop so I could evaluate the situation.

To my surprise, he would roll around the workshop, nothing had seized.

I spent the next few weeks stripping and cleaning all the rolling gear and found he needed very little work.

I checked the engine over and and there appeared no issues. The engine turned over by hand.

The injection system was where all the big issues were.
The fuel pump had seized and the tank was half full of 1980's 4star which had turned into a sludge.
So I bit the bullet and decided to refurbish the fuel system. new tank, filler neck, fuel pump and accumilator.
The metering head was sent to Colin at K-Jet in Australia to be refurbished, what a bloke! Fantastic work and speed of turn around was unbelievable.

The remaining fuel system was flushed with new fuel, fitted a new set of injectors which Dad had floating around the workshop, set the metering head up as per Colin's instructions and Wolfgang fired up without any issues!

Just been doing a few preventive and service stuff to ensure he will be reliable. New belts, fluids and flushes etc.

The bodywork has been washed and polished, he has never had any other work done to it. He has never been damaged or painted. He needs no remedial work or welding.

The plan was to recommission Wolfgang and keep as much originality rather than a full restoration.

In all, I have spent just about £1000 bringing him back to the road.

I do have the original Log Book and all the tax discs. He proudly is now showing his first tax disc issued on the 28/12/1979!

He has only just over 30K miles.

Hope Dad would be proud.

Dave

Back to the top
A few teaser photos! IMG_20210501_1600151.jpg IMG_20210501_1559527.jpg IMG_20210501_1558575.jpg IMG_20210501_1558357.jpg IMG_20210501_1557030.jpg

Back to the top
Mind blowing, and a lovely story for everone to enjoy.

Marcus.

Back to the top
Absolutely incredible story and car. Respect.

Back to the top
And just the icing on the cake!
A rocking horse poo GTi Engineering cast keyring! IMG_20210503_1700426.jpg

Back to the top
Just goes to show there are still a few gems out there.

Regards Volkswarren

X2 1983 A REG EW CAMPAIGN In WHITE(Awaiting full rebuild solid body) :thumbs: & T Reg S1 GTi Project, Still Looking for Series 1 GTi's or a 16S Oettinger to restore (Complete Cars only)  or an A reg Lhasa Green or White Gti to restore, also consider  Black, Red or Blue, Also Golf Driver Project Wanted anything considered WHY

Back to the top
Stunning car!

Back to the top
So after the big sleep of 34 years all is good and he is running well!

I decided the final touch would be to get an MOT although it is not required as he is now classed as historic,

So off he went, and guess what!

He passed first time with No advisories!!!

He has never had any advisories when dad MOT'ed him up to 1987,
And now he has none at 41 years old!

Back to the top
Really nice to see, nice of you too share the pictures and story!

Back to the top
Really nice to see, nice of you too share the pictures and story!
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.