Skip navigation

Tuning 1272cc GF

Back to the top

Tuning 1272cc GF

I want to fit oversized pistons to my Driver, (and yes i want to keep the original rev happy engine!) does anybody know what piston size i can go up to? haynes say 75.98mm (from 75mm) but id like to go a bit further say, 77/78. also does anybody know of a VW crank i could use to increase the stroke of this engine?

Back to the top
Not sure on the pistons but you'll affect revving capability if you change the crank

Crazyquiff's Mk1 Golf Parts Emporium

www.golfmk1.co.uk - you know you want to….

Back to the top
it doesn't matter as i will be lightening and balancing the crank to retain its revvy nature! anybody? does the 1.6 crank fit?!

Back to the top
just done a quick search on google and wikidpedia details the engine's from that era as the EA111 engine's so I think the crank's are possible interchangeable! here's a link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_discontinued_Volkswagen_engines#50-75_hp_1.3

Back to the top
ya know what i think i got that wrong lol its the engine below called the EA827

Back to the top
Using that data the 1.6 crank has a longer stroke so your 1.3 pistons will come out of the top of the bore by 3.3mm - 1.6 pistons will be too big as the bore is 4.5mm bigger.

Whaterver you do you'll be raising the capacity which will affect the revving capability - not by much probably but noticeable.  You'll probably end up with a 1.5 engine (1457) so might be worth starting there.

Cheers

Rich

Crazyquiff's Mk1 Golf Parts Emporium

www.golfmk1.co.uk - you know you want to….

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.