Skip navigation

Mk1 1980 1.6 diesel

Back to the top

Doesn't start

Hi everyone, I'm new here so let me introduce myself. My name is hEINz, I'm from Belgium and I just bought my first VW Golf mk1.
It's a 1.6 diesel and I startend stripping the complete interior because it needs a total makeover.
I also removed the speedo cable out of the gearbox because my needle was jumping all around 🫨. A new one is already orded.
After I removed the dashboard, I removed the heater box. There are 2 rubber hoses attached to it which provide it of water. (I didn't know that 😅). I noticed it when I started the car, that water started pouring out of the bottom one 🫣
I removed the heater component out of the heater box and I reattached the 2 rubber hoses. So I think that will be fine. There was not much water lost.

20230924_174021.jpg

But now the car won't start anymore 🥹

Could this be from that little water loss?

I managed to start the car 2 times before it refused and I noticed it also took longer each time before it started. Normally the car starts with one click, and those 2 times I had to turn the key much longer each time. What could be the cause of that? No spark (maybe wet sparks)? Gets no diesel? Oil pressure? Or is there something else what I'm not thinking of? 🤔

Or could it be an electrical problem?

When I loosend the fusebox, there was a cable that came loose. (that red one). It goes where the white arrow points. But when I put on the contact where the green arrow points, I hear a relais come to live (I think relais 19). Does anyone know what it's from?

Screenshot_20230924_212540_Gallery.jpg

20230924_191224.jpg

I'm pretty much in the dark on this one… Can anyone help me figuring what the problem is? Much appreciated! Would love to hear it run again 🫠

I'm not a pro mechanic, I'm just a hobbyist (learning by doing) and vw enthousiast who loves working on old cars 🥰

Last edit: by hEINz

Back to the top
I would suggest that you remove the number 3 and 4 glow plug (Easiest to get to with out having to remove your fuel lines), that is after checking that your fuse on the firewall is good.  Follow the Red wire from the glow plug strip up and it goes to a black box on the firewall.

If that fuse is bad as burnt or cracked, you can use a Large paper clip as a get you but untill you can get a new one.

Diesels will start on 1 glow plug, when that one goes then you can't start it.

Take the number 3 and 4 glow plug out, and jumper them to a the battery if they don't get red hot in about 7 to 15 seconds they are bad, and need to be replaced.

In 1980 they VW used wait forever glow plugs.  Which could take 20-60 seconds to get hot and pre-warm the injection chamber.

In 1982 they cam out with the 7 second glow plugs and
some folks like myself converted to them,  The difference is the relay and the plugs.

As I stated the GP's usually go bad one at a time, and until the last one goes you can start the car.  Roughly but it does start.

Here is a link to all you ever wanted to know about them, and how to "Pimp" them up.

https://vincewaldon.com/2009/09/26/how-to-troubleshoot-your-glow-plugs/

https://vincewaldon.com/2008/09/30/how-to-pimp-your-glowplug-wiring/

IIRC the 1980 came with a 1.5 Diesel, so yours may have been changed out for a later model. and the 1.6 should have the 7 second plugs.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Can't help too much on the wiring as you have the older style of fuse panel that I didn't have, as I had a Westy Built VW.  

Try
https://vwdiesel.net/#sthash.Qyp3V360.dpbs

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Hi Briano! Thanks for the quick reply…
Originaly it was indeed a 1.5, but one of the former owners switched it for a 1.6.

I tested the glow sparks on the battery like you said and they seem fine.
Also the glow spark fuse is ok but there wasn't any power going to it when I turned on the key.
After following where the cables went, I found the problem… the connector to the fusebox inside the car came loose 🙈

20230925_151207.jpg

After reconnecting them, the car started with no hesitation 🥳

20230925_144551.mp4

Last edit: by hEINz

Back to the top
The relay can be bypassed with a switch. Really they only have to be used once first thing each day. Use a spring loaded switch for safety.
Google manual glow plugs.

Back to the top
Looking at that you have some Corrosion on the Terminal and relay contact, that need a cleaning.

Copper wire and Green aren't a good color combination.
Screen Shot 2023-12-05 at 7.03.13 AM.png

They make corrosion spray, as well as a good wire tooth brush.  The Shiny and cleaner you can get them future issues will be prevented.

Screen Shot 2023-12-05 at 7.06.48 AM.png

Where are my DIY Links?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.