Skip navigation

Excessive smoking

Back to the top

Vr6 swap but smokes a lot

I recently swapped an ALQ 2.8 MK4 VR6 into my 81. This was a full build with no expense spared. The engine is just over the 1000 mile break in period but it is still smoking when idling. I used Euro Customs to tune the ECU and I know it is running rich and that is mostly the cause of the smoking at idle. I installed a fuel pressure regulator to cut back some over the over fueling and it helped but didn't correct the issue completely. I will also add that I am running a 6-2-1 header and a 2.5" custom exhaust with no catalytic converter or 2nd O2 sensor with a flowmaster "40 series" muffler (All had been tuned out). Has anyone had any issues with it running rich or smoking at idle? I did contact euro customs and they looked at the logs and tune info and it says the car is running fine.
Thanks in advance!

Back to the top
What colour is your smoke?

Blue smoke is oil.
Black smoke is running rich.
White smoke is water.

Sorry but can't be much more help than that but if it was me I would be going back to the place that did a no expense spared rebuild and asking them what's wrong…  :thumbs:

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Smoking after first start is semi-normal, as you are getting the exhaust up to temp.  Usually after the engine starts to warm to the middle the smoking should stop.

If you just to little hops to the store and back, then your engine oil isn't getting to temp to boil off the condensate in it as well.  Usually you will see that you have milky-colored oil at the oil cap….

So then we have to ask is that since it is smoking, is it blue smoke, black or white smoke…if it smells sweet then that is a sign of a bad head gasket or oil cooler.

So we need to know how you are running it or how long.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
I am driving around 20 miles each trip. The temps are getting up to 190°F - 200°F which I figure is because the engine takes up so much of the bay it has a hard time keeping cool even with 2 e-fans. The smoke is a grayish black and smells very fuel like. I assume that is a dead ringer to the running rich as I also get about 10 miles to the gallon. The fuel regulator helped but didn't correct the issue. I honestly have though it was the fuel pump since mine was a diesel before we converted it to petrol and now I am running a 90psi Walbro fuel pump which honestly seems over kill. Do you think it could be because of the #2 02 sensor delete or because there is no catalytic converter?? Thanks for your help.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.