Skip navigation

correct relay diagram for mk1 cabriolet GTI

Back to the top
Evening all,

Recently purchased a 1988 1.8 GTI cabriolet,  and im not sure if my relays are positioned correctly, Heres why.

Carrying out some basic checks before taking it on the road and realised that indicators and hazards are not working. pulled fuse 19 which was blown. Great, Simple fix!! new fuse didnt help. When i turn on hazards or flick on a signal, i get a solid green light on the dash (not sure if this flashes when working properly?

Now ive gone to check the relays and ive found 2 different digrams on the net. One has the signal relay on the far right, and another has it on the one immediately to the left.

Now before this happened, i had a problem with the fuel pump not kicking in, which i solved by wedging the microswitch closed on the relay, but obviously had to pull it quickly when parking back up. problem is, in my attempt to quickly lean over into the passenger footwell, i pulled the wrong relay. not sure which one but it may have been this one and im wondering if ive put it back in the wrong slot?

Can anyone confirm which once is correct?

Thanks in advance.

Back to the top
There are 2 fuses on the system for Turns/hazards.

f4 for the Hazards f19 for the turns.

If the hazards work, that eliminates the turn signal relay.

The hazard switch on the Cabriolet has 2 single Bare wires, and if those are shorting to ground by touching each other or that they are loose in the dash from a re-install gone wrong they can short and blow the fuse.

The Blue/Black have 12v full time, and needs to be heat shrinked so it can't short in the future.

Then the suspect is either the Turns Stalk, and or the Hazard Switch (more likely).

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Thanks briano for the reply,

Both fuses are ok. Neither turn signals or hazards working, Ill test the relay tomorrow and look at replacing.

The cars had MOT in november and has been sat in a yard since. ( inclement weather/snow during that time)

If the relay doesn't solve it ill look at the switch.

Thanks again

Back to the top
Have a look at my fuse box in my 1988 Gti cabriolet, link below as photobucket no longer working…

Its about 3/4 down the page, ignore relay 292 (lights left on buzzer) as that's not a standard relay and not normal there, relay 99 ( intermittent wipers) is normally 19 as standard, the 99 relay is a programmable intermittent wiper so you can change the time between wipes.

https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=helllllpppp%2Fhow-to-wire-headlight#post_1583121

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top

Briano1234 said

There are 2 fuses on the system for Turns/hazards.

f4 for the Hazards f19 for the turns.

If the hazards work, that eliminates the turn signal relay.

The hazard switch on the Cabriolet has 2 single Bare wires, and if those are shorting to ground by touching each other or that they are loose in the dash from a re-install gone wrong they can short and blow the fuse.

The Blue/Black have 12v full time, and needs to be heat shrinked so it can't short in the future.

Then the suspect is either the Turns Stalk, and or the Hazard Switch (more likely).

Ive changed the fuse's and relay. no luck. Before I order the hazard switch, can you confirm that this could still be faulty even if when pressed, it shows a solid green light on the dash?

Is there any way of testing the current hazard switch?

Thanks

Dave

Back to the top
cancel that! ive ordered one anyway! tried to pull the switch off of the white block and the whole thing fell apart! whoops!

Back to the top
Yes, the Hazard switch is 2 separate parts, and of the turn side is flaky, then that could give you the glow that is usually given as an indication of an open fuse…(blown)

I suspect that over the years every one of the Mk1's I have seen at the scrappers usually had the hazard switch removed.

a diagram of the hazard so you can see that they use separate fuses and the switch really has two sides.

15, 49 are used when the key is on and the turns are making

49, and 30 are used when the hazard is switched on.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
New hazard switch arrived today, hey presto I now have flashing hazards. However no turn signals :dry:

Back to the top

DaveGTIcab said

New hazard switch arrived today, hey presto I now have flashing hazards. However no turn signals :dry:

DaveGTIcab said

What are they doing? as in glowing?  Check your fuses first….the higher number.

You also replaced the relay? You might want to place the old one back in, but if you replaced the switch without disconnecting the battery, then check your higher fuse as in f19 again…. Especially if you didn't heat shrink the bare wires not so much the brown one, but the blue/black as that is hot all the time.

From time to time I have seen issues with a Generic Flasher relay causing this issue WAGNER brand comes to mind.

Last edit: by Briano1234

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
ok very odd….. ive now got everything working as it should. BUT……… I found the blue/black wire completely disconnected and at the back of the dash.  The wire connected to the switch  was green! No idea what its for as ive disconnected it and connected the correct one.

I wonder if the previous owner ever had indicators?!!!! :lol:

Back to the top
great catch.

Yep, not having the blue/black is the same a a blown f19.

Sorry not to have caught it earlier and saved you some monies.

I hope you insulated that bare green wire….

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Yep, I've insulated the green one…… not sure as to what it's meant for though. Any idea? 

No need to apologise, the old switch was a bit sticky anyway and this one is much better. 

Thanks for all your quick responses. 
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.