Skip navigation

Spotlight: 1984 B reg Mk1 Cabrio

Back to the top

replace lens - or locate entire unit?

Hi everyone,

Our 1984 GTi Cabrio has the early 13-fin grille. The driver's side spotlight lens has a hole in it - and there's a fair bit of water within the unit. This said, the chrome seems fine.

I understand the spotlights for these early grilles differ from the later style - and, it seems, the flipping things aren't too easy to come by! What are the differences? Is it the configuration of the 'ears' only - or are the lenses distinct, also? Can anyone direct me to a guide showing the differences between the two styles of unit? Look as I might, I haven't located one.

Searching through these erudite pages, I learn that one can remove - and replace - the lens from a spotlight (wow - who knew?): is it possible to remove an intact lens from a later model and marry it up with my earlier unit? I've read that the later ones are handed - but the early ones were not - is this correct?

If the lens transplant isn't a goer, can anyone suggest where I should go for a unit?

Thank you,

Roy

Back to the top
the main differences between all the types is the ear tabs are at different angles. the mountign depths may differ also?

if you can remove the lens from a donor lamp intact then chances are it will swap over no problem, just measure first!

also make sure its the right kind of lens, spot lamps and fog lamps have different light patterns

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
If you can't locate the replacement fast enough here is a  hint I have used over the years.

Take the lens out or the whole grille.

Place a piece of tape over the crack or hole on the outside (plastic or glass).

Turn the grille over or lens and remove the bulb.

But some Crystal Clear Epoxy and a Childrens dose  syringe.

Mix the epoxy and place inside of syringe and  tap it to remove air bubbles, or get them to expel.

With the syringe in your hand  place it inside the lens and squirt the epoxy Directly on to the Crack or hole and if it is a large crack you can move the lens about a bit to get the epoxy to move in to the crack.

Allow to set.

After the epoxy is set, you can remove the tape over the hole or crack on the front side of the lens.

Return the lens to the grille and or the grille to the auto.

For rear lenses you can mix Acrylic transparent paint to color the epoxy for yellow or red, (They used to make colored epoxies, don't know if they still do.).

How I remove the inner lamps from a quad grille.
Cabriolet or Quad Grille Hi-Beam Removal | Volkswagen Owners Club Forum

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Hey guys, thanks for your responses.

Yes, John: wise words re recognising the distinction between fog and spotlight lenses - in my search for an answer to the differences between early and later spotlights, I came across a post about that very issue.

Briano1234: wow - great idea! Thank you so much for that suggestion: an absolute winner!  :)

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.