Skip navigation

1984 GTi Cabrio Hazard Switch problem

Back to the top

Indicators work - but hazards don't

Hi all!I could do with some help navigating our car's electrical system. As the heading says, our indicators were fine - but the hazards were not. Advised that the switch may be at fault, I thought I might check by using the one from our 1988 E reg - which is working fine.  Plugged into the rear of the switch in the 1984 car was a light-coloured unit: separating the two took a good aul' tug: whereupon springs and a copper/brass bit went asunder! Oh dear….Looking at the switches on sale online, none feature said light-coloured plug to the rear. Presuming that I've damaged mine, what should I be searching to buy? On the subject of the actual switches, what are your experiences of the non-VAG items out there?Thanks!Roy

Back to the top
not sure what you mean? pics?

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Fair point! I'll get a photo when I can (the car in question is being stored in a friend's garage some 15 miles away). An issue has arisen with the other cabrio - my daily driver - so i can't get over there at the minute.

I'm going to ask this site's GTi gurus what they think is up with my daily driver as it has me flummoxed!

Roy

Back to the top
Hazards and turns share the same basic circuitry with each other.

Same Relay/flasher
Same Wiring to the lamps.
The only differences are,, the turn switch which isolates it to the left or right side.
The fuses for each  low number for the hazards, high number for the turns.

The hazard switch is controls the turns as well as the hazards.  

The hazard has 2 sides,  4way when flipped on, and turns when off.

The hazard has 2 un-insulated connectors attached to it.
If they short out they usually take out the high number fuse.  It is a good thing to use some heat shrink on the bare connectors.

If the hazard switch goes out, then yes half of it can be bad, and your turns work.  I suppose it can effect either circuit depending on which side goes out.  :)

Photobucket is having issues and I can't get the photo up to paste.    

If the Turns work, then it is likely the hazard switch.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Good man yerself, Briano1234!

After my mishap, with the springs flying off in all directions, I'm not sure the indicators now work at all! :'(Rubjonny has asked for some pics - I think my powers of description weren't up to the job! As soon as I can sort out E911 (my daily driver) - which has just presented me with a bewildering array of issues - I'll get across to B711 and get some shots.

Kind regards,

Roy 

Back to the top
aye when you say 'light coloured plug; that makes me thing of the plug housing on the car loom, but you say the new switch doesnt have one, which is what confuses me as they should just have a load of spades out the back :lol:

Back to the top
Hi again. Thanks for getting back in touch - it's greatly appreciated. I reckon it's just what you describe: the loom's plug housing. Makes perfect sense. The black hazard switch plugs into it; there are spade connectors to the rear: connections from the loom.

I fear I damaged it; despite looking around at the usual suspects online, I can't see one for sale anywhere - and haven'y yet found it in your amazingly extensive range of wiring diagrams.

I guess it's a dealer-only part, huh? Or maybe get one from a dismantler.

Back to the top
ah if the plug housing is damaged then you could salvage one off another loom if yours is too far gone. early mk1 dont even have plug housings the spades just push directly to the back of the switches so worst case you could do that till you find another housing.

part number is 171972999 try Mark at http://www.classic-vw.co.uk, he should be able to get you one. he stocks terminals too if you need those, plus can prob get you a new switch too if you cant find all the pieces :lol:

failing that VW classic parts can supply one for you:
https://www.vwheritage.com/vw_act_vwclassicParts.search.htm?classicSearchText=171972999

Back to the top
Thank you, John: I am obliged to you.

Roy
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.