16V Conversion FAQ
#657957 (In Topic #79286)
16V Conversion FAQ
So, I have now decided to start uploading what I have to the net rather than email it out all the time. On top of the actual FAQ Word file this means I can add other general information I have (images etc) relating to the conversion on an ad-hoc basis without it being fully 'written up'.
The mk1 16V Conversion FAQ Zip is now located at: http://db.tt/0VHggGQ
The current contents of the Mk1 16V Conversion FAQ Zip file is:
- Notes on Mk1 16V Conversion.doc : Word Doc compilation of 'FAQ', experiances and Notes on the Mk1 16V conversion, discussing options for aspects of the conversion.
- Notes on MK1 16V Distributor Options.doc : Word Doc FAQ on mk1 16V Distributer and Cap Options.
- 6A into Mk1 or Mk2 Conversion Guide.pdf : Two Page pdf guide to converting 6A engines for use in Mk1 and Mk2 Golfs.
- Mk1 16V Conversion - VW Motoring Article (4 Jpgs): Four Page Mk1 16V Guide/Article from VW Motoring Magazine.
- CGTI Rabbit Magazine Conversion Article.doc : Word Doc Copy of a Guide to the Mk1 16V conversion from CGTI's Rabbit Magazine.
- Mk1 16V Conversion - The Golf Q&A (2 Jpgs) : Two Extracts from the 'The Golf' (Now Golf+) magazines Q&A section relating to Mk1 16V Conversions.
- Image 1 - Mk2 K-Jet 16V ECU and TCI Loom.jpg: Image of a Mk2 K-Jet 16V ECU, TCI and appropriate Loom laid out and labeled.
- Image 2 - 9A Block with sensors : Image of RHS side of a 9A Block, used to demonstrate sensor positions (See 'Notes').
- TSR Mk1 16V Conversion Loom Diagram.jpg : Image of TSRs custom loom, for reference.
- KR 16V ISV Wiring Diagram.jpg : Scan of wiring diagram for the mk2 16V ISV from Haynes Manual.
- KR 16V ISV Wiring Diagram.pdf : Guide to connections on 16V ISV loom.
New additions (Sub directories):
- 16V Conversion Manifold Options - Contains images of some of the popular conversion exhaust manifold options
- Engine and Gearbox Mounts - Contains some ETKA Screen captures of 16V and Mk1 GTI Drivers side end engine block, plus images of the Driver side chassis engine mount for small and large block.
- Gearboxes and Linkages - Contains images and diagrams of o2a and o2o shift mechanisms (Cable and Rod change respectively) as well as general gearbox images (seals, 90/100mm flanges etc)
- General 16V Images and Info - Contains images of different pulley setups on 16V engines as well as full copy of the Mk2 Golf Haynes Manual
- Mk2 16V Wiring (ECU and ISV) - Contains edited (labelled and coloured) extracts of ECU and ISV Wiring diagrams from Haynes as well as images and guide for 16V ISV connection.[/list:u]In some cases I have included Zip files of the directory contents.
Ok so time for a small moan…can people who have actually used the conversion FAQ please give me feedback (ie those that have actually done the conversion). I have said again and again that it cannot improve or progress without input from other people. So get in touch with:
- Any mistakes in the FAQ.
- What images or details would be of use?
- What problems did you come across when doing the conversion? (either down to being difficult, or just because the wrong or incomplete info available?)
- What did you have to work out for yourself (no matter how easy or difficult)
- Additional solutions to issues already discussed in the FAQ.
You get the general idea, and if you have the answer….tell me so I can add it! It may be a good idea to do it via this forum section or thread, so other can have input into what need adding. If the FAQ is of no use, tell me that as well so I can stop wasting my time!
When I did the conversion 5-6 years ago there was a raft of sound people doing it at a similar time (RubJohnny, PaulC, G60rge etc), all exchanging info and who have all been on the forums helping people since. But it tends to be the same people helping out, and the complete lack of constructive feedback is making me loose interest tbh. Shame Paul/Bens FastGolf site disappeared, that was a good guide.
Anyway, I hope it helps somesome at least. I'm off out to mess around with my MX5…
Mk1 Golf 16V Conversion FAQ Zip, now located at in the Forum WIKI section: http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=cedi&type=misc&id=42%2F26%2F3
A good link for 16v conversions
1 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.