Skip navigation

Sell 'As it stands' or make roadworthy first

Back to the top

I have been asked to clear some projects beloging to an old friend.

An old friend of mine has been taken seriously ill and his wife has asked me to help clear some of his projects, one of which is a mk1 golf from 1980. My question is should I just sell the car as it stands or should we go to the expense of making the car roadworthy but leave the final restoration items to the next owner? I am keen to get a fair price for my old friend but I'm unsure about exactly what to do. Sadly I am fairly ignorant about golf's having owned mainly British classics therefore any advice would be gratefully accepted.The car is a 1980 Golf L with a genuine 47000 mile and with a known history with 2 owners since it was 6 months old. It was hoped that the car was to be fully restored but ill health scuppered that idea. it has been the recipient of sporadic bursts of work but then left as other projects demanded attention. there are areas of surface rust but nothing that I can see that is structural and from a short distance the car presents well. There are 2 sets of wheels, one alloy the other steel but all the tyres are perished although the four on the car do hold air. When fed with an external source of petrol the car can be encouraged to fire up and sounds ok. If I had the space I would take it on myself but I also have too many projects. I also have no idea as to the value of the car. So there is the story what is your advice?

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.