Skip navigation

Tow bar

Back to the top

Best tow bar design.

Hi, I'm Joe and new here, I am trying to build a strong tow bar for my 2003 citi golf. I would like to ask all the smart people for advise and design if possible…
Regards
Joe

Back to the top
What are you intending on towing?? When you say 'strong'  bear in mind the limitations of the car and what it will be capable of. 

Back to the top

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
That's my tow bar for sale and it's really sturdy . I can take some measurements for you if it helps?

I have seen them with another bracket going across to top 

I think mk2's use to incorporate into the bumper metal work but I can't swear to that 

Back to the top
0C5B3F13-D963-41E1-ADB1-1AC7D79674AD.jpeg

EF4DB3AB-CC56-4CBD-9CA5-06572A1A565B.jpeg

This is the Westfalia type (ignore the cover it's all I had to hand!) which the cabriolets use. It's a thick bar with a swan neck ball attached. It fixes to the car via 4 bolts which fasten into the original bumper bolts go. 
The plastic cover is replaceable but it does fit well and needs some fettling. 

Back to the top
That's the version I was thinking of 👍

Back to the top
I want to do something like this.

images (11).jpeg

Back to the top
Interested to see this thread…..

I've just started a project of a '93 Golf Convertible. I've been doing some initial stripping work and, on removing the rear bumper was nearly crushed by the BIGGEST tow bar I've ever seen!

See attached. I love the fact that someone has removed the swan neck with a saw. If it was manual hacksaw it must have taken HOURS. Whatever it was designed to tow would appear to be well beyond the capacity of a 1.8 Golf??

I was going to put up a thread asking what a "normal" rear bumper looks like?? Any help gratefully accepted! 20220508_141530.jpg

Back to the top
You could leave it in. It would certainly protect the rear end!

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.