Skip navigation

Sell or improve my GTI ?

Back to the top

Help me to decide what to do with my GTI

Hi all,

I am new to the forum so please forgive me if I am posting this in the wrong place.

I have a 1981 Black 1.6 GTI [LYE 69X] - I really like the car but unfortunately I lost my job in January this year (thanks covid!) so I am having to consider selling it.

The car is pretty much standard and is very tidy overall.  I had it in at Crazyquiffs for a week last autumn to have a few things done incl:

removal of coilovers and replaced with standard suspension
removal of aftermarket amplifier and cabling etc
Addition of plastic wheel arch protectors
addition of standard exterior sticker set (go faster stripes)

In a perfect would I would like to spend some time/money getting the bumpers swapped for the standard plastic ones, a standard muffler fitted in addition to standard tarantula wheels. The question is, will it make any significant positive difference to the value of the car? If I sink in this extra cost will I get it back?

I note this evening that a very tidy campaign edition sold for 19k this evening: https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/1983-volkswagen-golf-mk1-gti-campaign-edition

Attached some pics of the car as it is now at 77k miles.

Screenshot 2021-04-18 at 21.17.55.png Screenshot 2021-04-18 at 21.17.36.png Screenshot 2021-04-18 at 21.17.08.png

Back to the top
Once you sell it you will miss it.
The choice is yours, as it is a just a "Car" and ya'll get some crazy prices over there for them.

I do see that the passenger door is sagging a wee bit as the trim isn't aligned at the rear, but that is a easy fix.

So I will reserve judgement, but leave it as it is.  The person buying it will have his ideas on how it should look. and what he wants done to it.

Good luck on a job search, and with the car.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top

Sell or improve my GTI ?

If selling don’t spend any money on it. It looks nice and if someone wants to take it back to original then it’s only bolt on stuff.

Have 12 month mot and makes sure it goes and stops fine. Good gear change and no blue smoke.

If there is rote have it seen to.

Besides that you will get the same money no matter what wheels and bumpers you fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top
Swapping wheels and bumpers would not be that expensive as you could sell the parts taken off, to someone else to spoil their car and increase the value of your standard one....

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
So the campaign sold for £19000 after spending £20000 on it, i think that answers your question.

Back to the top
Thanks for the advice so far!

Back to the top
Having sold my Campaign many years ago it is testament to the build quality and reliability of  MK1 golfs that there are many still left running and in very good condition. Personally i wouldn't sell, but only you know your circumstances.
Good luck

Back to the top
As it nears and achieves originality, its value will rise quite a lot.

Personally I'd try and keep it for as long as possible, I had one a while back and its a memorable car! Nothing else like it!

Back to the top
Hi 
Keep it as long as possible even if it means you can store it in a friends garage or barn or the like. You wouldn't have to pay the usual running costs by keeping it off the road….. although maybe easier said than done…
Don't spend money on it now…..
I had a 1985 GTI convertible and always regretted selling it…..
I was lucky to pick up a 1992 Sportline convertible later on in life….. and have kept it for 20 years…. So glad I have it……
Good luck and hopefully your luck will change with ease down of Covid….
Your car looks great btw and has good low mileage 

Back to the top
I would get those bumpers off and onto eBay, and they will sell for more than the cost of some decent used genuine ones, at the moment, but are getting harder to find…. And will improve the look and value/desirability a little bit. A word of advice, don't  buy the repro ones, they are worse than rubbish.

The wheels and muffler can stay, I don't think they will affect the value too much. Good luck with the sale.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.