Skip navigation

Owning a Mk1 Golf? What's it like? (I don't have a Golf)

Back to the top

Have you ever felt scared someone might damage your car, steal it? And what kind of attention do they get?

So I don't even have a car or license yet. However I have been thinking of the Mk1 Golf as a first car.

However I'm scared of getting one, especially the area that I live in, it's not great and one of my families cars has most likely been burnt down before (Unfortunately also a Volkswagen, a Mk4 Passat) on the car park right next to our home which we still live in. One improvement the council has made is added gates to most of the neighbourhood which lowered the number of people passing through the car park by a mile, however I'm still not convinced, especially with such a remarkable classic on the car park. I mean, there was a newer Dodge Challenger parked down the street before but it was more of a a come and go thing, but it wasn't on the car park.

I'm particularly scared of "chavs", which have damaged our cars later after the incident as we installed a CCTV camera, however that wasn't enough for the Police to even do anything. What's it like in your area? Do you get a lot of attention?

One way I could probably avoid it is by renting a garage, however I don't really want to walk to my car to drive it, it's not really the point of it. I have also been thinking of covering it up when not driving but it's not like it can be taken off or even teared off.

Any ideas or views?

Back to the top
Firstly, welcome to the site.

Tricky one to answer as only you know your area.
Older cars of course are easier to steel and back in the day the golf gti was top of the list for car thieves.
There's been some features recently about the increase in 70's & 80's classic car thefts due to the value of their spare parts so it will be at risk for sure.
There has been a few instances on here of bits of trim etc being stolen off parked cars, even wheel centres at shows so everyone is at risk to some extent.

Back to the top
A MK1 will get a lot of attention, all positive i might add, quite a few waves and admiring glances as you drive by.
They can drive you mad when they go wrong, and they will, at the same time they always put a smile on your face when you drive them.
You will never keep up with a modern car, but then thats the point, it's not meant to be modern or really fast (unless modified) they are meant to be treated with a little respect and enjoyed for what they are, a motoring classic.
Andy
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.