Skip navigation

Mk1 Engine fitment

Back to the top
Hi guys, i have a mk1 1993 model. im trying to fit an 1800 block onto the car. i have the side engine mounting on but can't get the block to line up with the gearbox. i only have normal jacks to work with. any suggestions on how to make this easy for me to fit the block on.

I would really appriciate the help thanks

Back to the top
Gearbox still in the car? I find it easier to mate the engine and gearbox out of the car and installing it as a unit...

1983 Golf GT 2.1 16V with throttles/1978 Golf LS 2.1 ABF with throttles/2008 Citi Storm 1.4i/2007 Hyundai Getz - my daily

Back to the top
Hi Torker

yeah gearbox still in. is it possible to put the block in as is or must i take out the gearbox

Back to the top
I've never tried it like this, I either pulled/refitted the engine/gearbox as a unit or pulled/refitted the gearbox on it's own. Are you sure your clutchplate is centred correctly, if not it will make it even more difficult.

1983 Golf GT 2.1 16V with throttles/1978 Golf LS 2.1 ABF with throttles/2008 Citi Storm 1.4i/2007 Hyundai Getz - my daily

Back to the top
Hi Torker

I managed to fit the block on with the gearbox still in place. I removed the side engine mounting and also the side gearbox mounting. Then used a trolley jack to line up the block with the gearbox. I then put another jack on the gearbox and then picked up the block and gearbox togerther. The bolt holes lined up so i put the top two bolts and one starter bolt to pull the block hard up against the gearbox. After that it was easy, i jacked up the block and gearbox to bolt on the mountings.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.