Skip navigation

1990 GTI Cabriolet

Back to the top

1990 GTI Cabriolet

My Golf GTI Cabriolet is up for sale..

Some of the spec -

15" Estoril alloys which have been polished and the inlays painted black (these are original VW wheels as supplied on some Corrados) VW center caps

Yokohama A539 premium performance tyres , size 195/45/15, all have 5/6mm tread left, these are super sticky in the sunshine

Stainless steel exhaust, unsure of make but sounds just right, quiet enough when taking it easy but barks nicely when you put your foot down. It knocked on the chassis when I got the car but it has been reshaped by my mechanic and is now perfect

Boge TurboGas shocks and lowering springs, would estimate these lower the car by 30-40mm, rides quite firm but that's half the fun!

Smaller leather sports steering wheel with center horn push

Crystal headlights

Crystal/red rear lights

Crystal side repeaters

Clear front indicator lenses

Single headlamp grille with chrome trim (rare and desirable original VW part)

Number plate plinth removed and the holes have been filled before the whole bumper and front panel were repainted, number plate relocated

Sony CD player (face-off) with Sony speakers , wiring running into boot for amp or active sub install

New battery fitted

Lower front seat bolsters replaced

New carpet mats

Hydraulic bonnet struts

The lower front seat bolsters were worn away (most of them have been on these seats) so I sourced some replacements , not new but much better. The drivers side lower seat cloth was also replaced as it had torn where the bolster had worn away. This is the same material as the other seats but it has faded slightly (not that you notice when driving as you are sat on it!). It has the MFA multi-function trip computer which works as it should do. It also has a brand new set of tailor made carpet mats.

Manual roof and windows, the roof is good but there is a small tear on the rear quarter. I'm told it doesn't leak (by the previous owner). I can't confirm this as i've always had the car covered and only used it in the dry. The headlining is in good , clean condition.

When I bought the car it was checked over by my trusted mechanic who said it looked well serviced but recommended a cambelt as there was no history of this so it's now had a new cambelt, tensioner and alt belt aswell. There was one advisory on the last MoT which was for wear on the front brakes. He checked these and there is still a few thousand miles left in the pads and discs are good for another set of pads so these haven't been replaced.

The bodywork is in good , straight condition with just a few blemishes. The previous owner did a repair on the two rear arches and a small section on the lower passenger door. There is also a touched up scratch on the bootlid. These are not too bad and the rest of the paint is nice and bright as you can see in the pics. There is an immobiliser fitted and it also has locking wheel nuts. One key and immobiliser fob. The service history has been lost by a previous owner but it does come with almost every MoT to prove mileage (128K).

To sum up, it's in great condition for a 21 year old car and will put a smile on your face when you drive it, sounds great , looks great and handles like a go cart. A proper old skool sports car, no power steering or assisted brakes but this is all part of the charm! You can get this on a classic car insurance policy with limited mileage for around £100 or so.

Price is £1995 , Viewing is highly recommended , i'm in Bracknell, Berkshire. More pics available if you're interested.

Cheers,

Nick

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.